• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst regular bowler for a top side

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sami bowled that really good spell in that test in Sydney when Pakistan rolled Australia for **** all then lost anyway (was a bit sus tbh). Remember watching him and wondering why everyone thought he was so ****e.

Darren Powell belongs in this argument too.
I have had the same question. Decent swing at 150 KPH isn't something many bowlers can boast of. Think he just lacked discipline and control.

trundler

Pretty bad average in ODIs. Plus he chucked. Never looked threatening. Deserved a mention at least.

vcs

Ojha was a fairly regular fixture when India reached No. 1 around 2009-10. #zoraxtriggermaterial

cnerd123

likes this
Speaking of bad SA spinners, Johan Botha.
Ojha was a fairly regular fixture when India reached No. 1 around 2009-10. #zoraxtriggermaterial
look if this is going to descend into a basic 'all finger spinners suck heu heu heu' meme thread then I'm going to start talking about this delicious Hainanese Chicken and Rice I had for lunch instead

Botha was (and still is) an absolutely quality limited overs spinners and Ojha was very very good for us in Tests. Both had dodgy actions, granted, but there have been a lot worse.

Paul Harris a good shout actually. Basically a less good Giles/Boje. Did a really good job tho. I was a fan.

trundler

Hey I just named him because we were talking about SA spinners. Didn't look up his stats before posting but he looked mediocre. If Tahir counts, he does too.

TheJediBrah

look if this is going to descend into a basic 'all finger spinners suck heu heu heu' meme thread then I'm going to start talking about this delicious Hainanese Chicken and Rice I had for lunch instead

Botha was (and still is) an absolutely quality limited overs spinners and Ojha was very very good for us in Tests. Both had dodgy actions, granted, but there have been a lot worse.

Paul Harris a good shout actually. Basically a less good Giles/Boje. Did a really good job tho. I was a fan.
Paul Harris was probably a better bowler than Giles and Boje. He definitely wasn't worse.

trundler

For some reason, Abdur Rehman has better stats than my recollection of his bowling.

Oh wait he's a finger spinner

cnerd123

likes this
Paul Harris was probably a better bowler than Giles and Boje. He definitely wasn't worse.
I disagree in a way. Giles and Boje displayed more depth of skill to me with their bowling - they weren't only 'hold a negative line outside leg stump' kind of guys. Boje, as mentioned, won games with the ball, and Giles was very underrated in his ability to bowl to a plan and set up top quality batsmen. And he bowled a few real jaffas too.

Paul Harris didn't display that to my memory. I could be wrong, but he was just really tall and gave it a decent rip and was accurate. That's about the sum of it. I didn't see him play with flight and loop and pace as much, I didn't see him try different angles of attack, I didn't see him work any real plans outside of just plugging away on a good spot and waiting. Boje and Giles occasionally did more.

Idk, i'd like to go back and watch more footage of these guys are work again but that's not really possible. All we have are highlight packages and scorecards, and some text commentary. But I remember Paul Harris being a lot more limited.

Flem274*

123/5
he wasn't a bad bowler but if you were given a picture of someone who was the barest minimum of good enough to be considered test class that picture would be chris martin