• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst regular batsman for a top side

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Worst Player From Every Team XI

Joe Burns (Aus)
Keaton Jennings (Eng)
Devon Smith (WI)
Gunathilaka/Udawatte (SL)
Henry Nicholls (SA)
Hardik Pandya (Ind)
Shadab Khab (Pak)
Afsar Zazai + (Afg)
Rubel Hossain (Ban)
Tyrone Kane (Ire)
Chris Mpofu (Zim)

12 Test teams and only 11 players so I left Bavuma out since I believe he's the best out of each country's worst.
Nicholls plays for NZ, did you mean Bavuma? [edit - read the last line too late before posting]

Shadhab Khan does not belong in your team. He will shine.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Please avoid bowlers, it isn't a worst tail enders. Try to limit to 'modernish' batsmen picked for batting.
Think he meant in terms of their bowling, not batting, i.e the bowling equivalent of this thread. Would be a good separate thread.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Think he meant in terms of their bowling, not batting, i.e the bowling equivalent of this thread. Would be a good separate thread.
We can do that thread in 24 hours when this loses traction.

Mark Wood is my early choice without thought.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nicholls plays for NZ, did you mean Bavuma? [edit - read the last line too late before posting]

Shadhab Khan does not belong in your team. He will shine.
Didn't know who to put. One of the new batsman or Faheem maybe.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Your number 6 raises more questions for me - who sucks more Mitch Marsh, Mitch Santner or Hardik?

I think you're being too harsh on Hardik.
He was only picking one from each team though; can't pick Marsh or Santner if Burns and Nicholls are already playing.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Your number 6 raises more questions for me - who sucks more Mitch Marsh, Mitch Santner or Hardik?

I think you're being too harsh on Hardik.
The idea was not to repeat countries and to make sure we have the worst player regardless of role. MMarsh is definitely better than Burns and I think Santner is more valuable than Nicholls.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd say Moeen is currently available for selection in this, but best snap him up in case that changes

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
get out of my head
People really aren't liking this latest code update.

"Your avatar is too emotional."
"You read my thoughts too well."

After years of being told I was too cold and misread intent, you'd think these things would be seen as improvement. :(

Howe_zat

Audio File
Keaton Jennings did make a ton in India (on debut? not sure) so I reckon if he's the worst we've ever had we'd be in better shape

Neil Fairbrother, despite being a good one-day player, made one fifty in 10 tests, spread across 6 years. He averaged 15.

Noted eejit Wayne Larkins just scraped past an average of 20 in his 13-match career, with a high score of 63.

Worcestershire stalwart Don Kenyon, never really made the step up to Tests, playing 8 for his average of 12.80.

Despite being described by cricinfo as "An elegant, stylish batsman who promised much", Frank Hayes played 9 tests in the mid 70s and averaged 15.

And finally Geoff Cook, notably more successful off the field than on it, following a Test batting career of 7 matches, average 15 and high score 66.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Keaton Jennings did make a ton in India (on debut? not sure) so I reckon if he's the worst we've ever had we'd be in better shape

Neil Fairbrother, despite being a good one-day player, made one fifty in 10 tests, spread across 6 years. He averaged 15.

Noted eejit Wayne Larkins just scraped past an average of 20 in his 13-match career, with a high score of 63.

Worcestershire stalwart Don Kenyon, never really made the step up to Tests, playing 8 for his average of 12.80.

Despite being described by cricinfo as "An elegant, stylish batsman who promised much", Frank Hayes played 9 tests in the mid 70s and averaged 15.

And finally Geoff Cook, notably more successful off the field than on it, following a Test batting career of 7 matches, average 15 and high score 66.
I think he just meant currently. But hijacking the thread along this line would probably be more fun, so lets do that.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I think he just meant currently. But hijacking the thread along this line would probably be more fun, so lets do that.
Go for it. Extra points for modernism, though.

Open floor - but no tailenders.

See if you can beat Ken Rutherford and Jeff Crowe of a #2 ranked team. That is the challenge if you go old school.

Trevor Franklin is the ace up my sleeve.

Last edited: