• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best/your favourite nightwatchman innings

Bijed

International Regular
Brought to mind by the Bishoo Nightwatchman GOAT thread, everyone loves a good innings from a nightwatchman (unless it's against your team, of course). So lets fondly reminisce about our favourite nightwatchman innings, test or FC:

Gillespie's double probably the best - even against early Bangladesh, 201* is pretty special.

Alex Tudor's 99* was great too, especially given the level of scoring seen in the match so far. Shame he didn't quite reach the ton

Derek Underwood's only FC century, in a low-scoring affair which ended up as a tie

Looking forward to learning about some great rearguards from nightwatchman

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Alex Tudor's 99* was great too, especially given the level of scoring seen in the match so far. Shame he didn't quite reach the ton
This was the first one I thought of when I saw the title of the thread. I hated every minute of it, but it was an excellent performance.

Jack1

International Debutant
Tudor 99 not out

Graham Thorpe is a C....

Comes in hitting boundaries instead of batting for Tudor’s hundred. Still the most selfish and self centred D-headed innings I’ve ever seen from an English player

I don’t swear on here but even the mods must admit it’s appropriate here

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
Oh, slippy! You shouldn't be talking about paratha at lunch time etc. unless your team is doing really badly (by doing really badly I mean getting annihilated) and you
a. don't want to talk about cricket.
b. don't want any one else to even think about cricket.

That is the Cricketweb protocol; so nothing more about parathas please, unless you are a secret Bangladesh supporter.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Larwood's 98
Particularly as he went out to bat determined to get out, furious with Jardine for making him bat. The close came when he was on 5. Still livid the next day he went out and blazed away until his partner (Maurice Leyland) pointed out to him he was on 98* at which point he finally held back on a shot and put up a catch to Dainty Ironmonger, 50 years old and in no way noted for his fielding (or batting)

TheJediBrah

Not every one has to be a big score. It should be the importance and value of the innings to the game. Having said that I can't really remember any examples.

But Gillespie's was probably one of the most useless. He could have gotten out first ball and the outcome of the game wouldn't have changed an iota. Aus might have lost an extra few wickets but they'd still have probably declared on the same score.

vcs

I can think of worse things to have everyday.

BTW, since we're talking about aloo parathas, is this actually a thread about Inzamam? :ph34r:

Bijed

International Regular
Had a nice paratha in the morning with some tea and biscuits
I've never posted 'enjoyed x for breakfast' in one of slippy's threads, I defended his thread-starting volume a while back when everyone was sick to death of them and I've even responded in a serious manner to a few of his 'will this player get a test call-up' threads, and yet he does this to me? I don't think my faith in humanity can survive this :(

slippy888

International Captain
I've never posted 'enjoyed x for breakfast' in one of slippy's threads, I defended his thread-starting volume a while back when everyone was sick to death of them and I've even responded in a serious manner to a few of his 'will this player get a test call-up' threads, and yet he does this to me? I don't think my faith in humanity can survive this :(
You and vorax start the spamming

TheJediBrah

slippy just spraying his bullets around in revenge and not caring who gets hurt collaterally :(