Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 113
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: 2018 Windies vs 2000 Windies

  1. #1
    Cricketer Of The Year jimmy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    8,415

    2018 Windies vs 2000 Windies

    Slippy style thread here. The question is just how good is this current Windies team? Is this the long awaited Windies renaissance? Or just another false dawn?

    Thought I'd start a comparison thread between the current team & the last team the Windies had which was a competitive unit, the team which toured England in 2000.

    2018

    KC Brathwaite
    DS Smith
    KOA Powell
    SD Hope
    RL Chase
    SO Dowrich+
    JO Holder*
    D Bishoo
    KAJ Roach
    ML Cummins
    ST Gabriel

    vs

    2000

    SL Campbell
    CH Gayle
    WW Hinds
    BC Lara
    S Chanderpaul
    JC Adams*
    RD Jacobs+
    CEL Ambrose
    FA Rose
    RD King
    CA WAlsh

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,028
    The current team has pathetic batting and no ATG. And the 2000 team has Lara, Chanders*, Walsh and Ambrose.

    * I get he got much better after his foot surgery, but he did kick on to ATG status.

  3. #3
    Cricketer Of The Year jimmy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    8,415
    Funny thing is if a few years ago someone said to me in 2018 the Windies would be kicking some ass I would have expected Darren Bravo to be piling on the runs. Crazy how quickly he disappeared.

    Arguably you could find a place for Gayle in the 2018 team as well.

  4. #4
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Marsden Bay, NZ
    Posts
    24,487
    I like the 2018 team, but I don't think you can seriously argue that many (any?) would make a combined XI from those two teams. Maybe Brathwaite as one of the openers and possibly Roach, but that's about it IMO.


  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    Funny thing is if a few years ago someone said to me in 2018 the Windies would be kicking some ass I would have expected Darren Bravo to be piling on the runs. Crazy how quickly he disappeared.

    Arguably you could find a place for Gayle in the 2018 team as well.
    Gayle goes disappearing from the ODI field, he wouldn't get through a day of test fielding and be back in time to open.

    Gayle's back injuries have definitely ended any chance of a test recall today.

    Bravo is a sore loss. They would be much better with him, and some additional batting.

    It is one thing celebrating Gabriel and Roach taking wickets, but their most pressing problem is still their batting.
    Last edited by Mr Miyagi; 05-07-2018 at 09:06 PM.
    jimmy101 likes this.

  6. #6
    Cricketer Of The Year jimmy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    8,415
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    I like the 2018 team, but I don't think you can seriously argue that many (any?) would make a combined XI from those two teams. Maybe Brathwaite as one of the openers and possibly Roach, but that's about it IMO.
    True, although Holder might be in with a shout over Rose or King.

  7. #7
    Cricketer Of The Year jimmy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    8,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
    Gayle goes disappearing from the ODI field, he wouldn't get through a day of test fielding and be back in time to open.

    Gayle's back injuries have definitely ended any chance of a test recall today.
    Yeah I think the book is firmly closed on Gayle in Tests.

  8. #8
    International Regular anil1405's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3,183
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    Funny thing is if a few years ago someone said to me in 2018 the Windies would be kicking some ass I would have expected Darren Bravo to be piling on the runs. Crazy how quickly he disappeared.

    Arguably you could find a place for Gayle in the 2018 team as well.
    It's frustrating to see someone with such talent lacking immensely in temperament.
    jimmy101 likes this.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    True, although Holder might be in with a shout over Rose or King.
    Doubtful. I think it would be more like this:

    1 Gayle
    2 Brathwaite
    3 Lara
    4 Chanderpaul
    5 Adams
    6 Hinds/Holder/Chase
    7 Dowrich/Jacobs
    8 Gabriel
    9 Roach
    10 Curtley
    11 Courtney

    Even with the batting weaknesses at 6 and 7, and lack of top quality spin, this is a more than useful team.
    Last edited by Mr Miyagi; 05-07-2018 at 09:17 PM.

  10. #10
    Cricketer Of The Year jimmy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    8,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
    Doubtful. I think it would be more like this:

    1 Gayle
    2 Brathwaite
    3 Lara
    4 Chanderpaul
    5 Adams
    6 Hinds/Holder/Chase
    7 Dowrich/Jacobs
    8 Gabriel
    9 Roach
    10 Curtley
    11 Courtney
    Not a bad looking side but No. 8 is too high of a batting position for Gabriel. I'd stick Ambrose at 8.
    Mr Miyagi likes this.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    Not a bad looking side but No. 8 is too high of a batting position for Gabriel. I'd stick Ambrose at 8.
    Yeah, it is a long tail. Which is why WI need Chase to stand up, make the position his own, and make consistent runs.

    Ironically - the WI tail is currently wagging well - inspired by Holder's efforts.

  12. #12
    Cricketer Of The Year jimmy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    8,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
    Yeah, it is a long tail. Which is why WI need Chase to stand up, make the position his own, and make consistent runs.

    Ironically - the WI tail is currently wagging well - inspired by Holder's efforts.
    Whatever happened to #batdeep bro?

    Holder at 7/8 would be ideal IMO. Might even have to squeeze Bishoo in on the grounds of him being a frontline spinner & useful lower order batsman.

  13. #13
    Cricketer Of The Year jimmy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    8,415
    Quote Originally Posted by anil1405 View Post
    It's frustrating to see someone with such talent lacking immensely in temperament.
    What do you think the odds of a Darren Bravo comeback are?

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    Whatever happened to #batdeep bro?

    Holder at 7/8 would be ideal IMO. Might even have to squeeze Bishoo in on the grounds of him being a frontline spinner & useful lower order batsman.
    Heh. Trust me - I thought about it, but Holder is such a spud of a bowler away from home. His batting is critical to the team currently, but his bowling on tour is just economical.

    I think the best chances of a 2000/18 combined team to win is just go all out in the field and rough the opposition up when the ball isn't going sideways. It isn't like Dowrich or Jacobs make that many centuries anyway even if they bat deeper.
    Last edited by Mr Miyagi; 05-07-2018 at 09:33 PM.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    What do you think the odds of a Darren Bravo comeback are?
    At 29 years of age - still fairly good.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. As a Windies fan i'm insulted
    By Ilovecric in forum 2016 ICC World Twenty20 - India
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 06-04-2016, 10:18 PM
  2. The Windies test side since 1999/2000
    By sledger in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-09-2014, 09:12 AM
  3. How bad are the Windies
    By Jigga988 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 15-12-2008, 10:04 AM
  4. Bermuda & Windies
    By chekmeout in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 16-07-2005, 03:06 AM
  5. Windies win
    By dro87 in forum ICC Champions Trophy 2004
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 27-09-2004, 07:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •