• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2018 Windies vs 2000 Windies

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Feel like they'll struggle against any team with quality spinners even at home. India should just about manage to pip them. Even Australia with Lyon (and Smith and Warner obv) should do well over there. Favorites against everybody else though I'd imagine.

Either way, that this "renaissance" has generated so much interest among fans is in itself a resounding answer to the "Does cricket need a strong Windies?" thread.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not bad considering they've won everything at home since 2017. India's tour to WI later this year will be interesting.
Only drew with Sri Lanka and were lucky not to lose to them. And they've basically played no-one who's actually a good team at home in the timeframe.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Huh, forgot they only managed a draw vs SL. Although beating England at home as absolutely massive, I wouldn't say that England aren't any good.

vcs

I reckon India will find themselves in a lot of 50/3 type situations when they go there later this year. Their usual poor start to the series could be costly. I hope Ashwin turns on his God-mode against them.

TheJediBrah

2000 bowling lineup looks stronger to me on paper, but the 2018/1019 contingent has vastly out-performed them and completely dominated more than one batting lineup.

WI at home are a real powerhouse. Anyone know when Australia are next scheduled to tour WI?
It would have to be soon. 2015 was the last time and I don't think WI put up much of a fight then.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
It would have to be soon. 2015 was the last time and I don't think WI put up much of a fight then.
Yeah, WI have come on leaps & bounds since then. Holder is working wonders and it looks like they've finally got a crop of players that the WICB aren't looking to destroy. A West Indies tour would be a solid test for Australia, even with Smith & Warner back in the ranks.

Borges

International Regular
I have a feeling he will. I'd say you guys will need a Aswin/Jaddu special to get you over the line.
The West Indies should just prepare pitches that are designed to completely negate spin bowling of any kind.
Learn from what happened to the hapless Sri Lankans in Australia.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
The West Indies should just prepare pitches that are designed to completely negate spin bowling of any kind.
Learn from what happened to the hapless Sri Lankans in Australia.
Even then I'd still back Ashwin to rip through them.

Borges

International Regular
Even then I'd still back Ashwin to rip through them.
Ravi the Shastri has a different (and in this particular case, sensible) idea.

Q: At the same time, you have three good spinners to back up your pace attack. R Ashwin has been injured for a few matches this year, but Ravindra Jadeja and Kuldeep Yadav had aptly filled in?

A: Yes, and I was very impressed with the way Kuldeep bowled in Sydney. Even in Test cricket, it is going to be the age of wrist spin, especially in overseas Test cricket. The way he bowled in Sydney, he becomes our number one spinner in overseas Test cricket.

Q: Kuldeep ahead of Ashwin and Jadeja, already?

A: Already! He plays overseas Test cricket and he gets five wickets, so he becomes our primary overseas spinner. Going ahead, if we have to play one spinner, he is the one we will pick. There is a time for everyone (referring to Ashwin's poor fitness record in 2018). But now Kuldeep is our frontline number one overseas spinner.
https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-ne...formats-ravi-shastri-india-cricket-team-coach

Slifer

International Captain
Ok now that we've come down from the high of beating England, let's get back to reality. Wi will struggle to beat India, rsa and Australia either home or away (possibly nz as well). The team seems to be coming along in leaps and bounds but still there is plenty of work to be done. The fact is, India for example has a pretty potent attack atm and their batting lineup has two possible future atg in it, not to mention that they bat deep. And that's just India. If wi can take even ONE test off of India later this year then I'm sold. Until then, yeah I'm impressed with this win but I wont get carried away with any sort of revival talk. We've seen these false dawns b4.

Ps the bowling attack is pretty useful at home though

TheJediBrah

There's no way WI even challenge India, regardless of where it's played.

Maybe if they played a hypothetical Test at the Gabba or old WACA, but even then India would be strong favourites

vcs

India struggled plenty to make runs in tough overseas conditions last year. Don't think negotiating this WI attack on the type of pitches England got is a given at all. Openers are a pretty weak link (or unproven in case of Agarwal/Shaw).

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India's bowling attack will be way better England's in WI conditions anyway, and their batsmen are generally much more patient and less stupid. I'd think India will do just fine.

Flem274*

123/5
yeah i want to wait for a few series before calling this a renaissance. wi have a habit of pulling englands pants down.

and i flat out do no rate englands top 5. less so for the players contained and more for how it's put together. jennings is grim against the seamers, i don't think bairstow is a 3 or stokes a 5, im not sold on buttler at 5 and root's badly out of nick.

most of the tools are there they just do best at 4 or lower.

edit - this sounds like im trivialising the west indian bowling performance which wouldn't be fair of me at all. they've crushed england handsomely.

Last edited: