• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most exciting cricketers you've seen live XI

aussie tragic

International Captain
So this is definitely not about stats or who is an ATG, but more about who did you drop everything to watch play (live means on TV as well).

For me, it was this XI (please excuse the aussie bias but that's who I watched):

Michael Slater
David Warner
Viv Richards
David Gower
Kim Hughes
Ian Botham
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Richard Hadlee
Joel Garner
Dennis Lillee

12th: Dean Jones

Notes:
1. I could have cheated and put Marshall in, but I never really saw him play
2. I almost left out Hadlee due to his devastation of Aus, but realised he deserved his Aussie 'Hadlee's a Wanker' chant by pure skill against Aus
3. I know Gilchrist is a better batsman than Botham but he stays at #7 because that's where he played, and for him to come in 5 for whatever and destroy an attack is what made him more exciting :)

Who did you most love to watch live?

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gavaskar
Boycott
Dravid
Younis Khan
Chanderpaul
Kallis
Flower+
Kumble
Gillespie
Morkel
Herath

Haven't really watched some of them but their reputations couldn't be ignored.

Edit: Herath in for Anderson. Nothing wrong with 2 spinners in an XI for this purpos

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Hayden
Warner
Ponting
Symonds
Afridi
Maxwell
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Shoaib
Tait

edit: trundler taking the micky picking the most boring to watch XI

trundler

Damien Martyn was a pleasure to watch as well. Lara needless to say was a class act too.

aussie tragic

International Captain
In my defence, I liked watching Gavaskar as he was the class batsman of the team, seriously didn't look at any other players he picked past Boycott :)

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Gavaskar
Boycott
Dravid
Younis Khan
Chanderpaul
Kallis
Flower+
Kumble
Gillespie
Morkel
Anderson

Haven't really watched some of them but their reputations couldn't be ignored.
Edit your post and take Jimmy Anderson off that list immediately ffs.

Your hero might very well be arguably the GOAT bowler......but he was also the most boring cricketer ever. Stick that **** in there.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I saw Lara do his 277 in Sydney but only read about all his other feats after the fact. Shame I couldn't follow him more

TheJediBrah

My enduring memory of Lara was seeing him shoulder arms and get clean bowled by Jason Gillespie just before stumps at the 'G

Might have seen him fail for World XI in 2005 as well

Never got a chance to see him in full flow live unfortunately

Your hero might very well be arguably the GOAT bowler......but he was also the most boring cricketer ever. Stick that **** in there.
Yeah I struggle to see how Anderson and Gillespie are boring but McGrath isn't

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
James Pattinson was reasonably exciting when he was running in there against us last season.

trundler

Not boring to me or he wouldn't be my hero, lol. I find Anderson a bit meh. Actually I was struggling for bowlers and just put him there hastily. Perhaps Broad could replace him. :laugh:

Couldn't just disrespect McGrath like that. *shudders
It's subjective anyway

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
Barry Richards
Sunil Gavaskar
Alvin Kallicharan
Viv Richards
Brian Lara

Gary Sobers
Alan Knott

Dale Steyn
Andy Roberts
Shane Warne
Bhagwath Chandrasekhar

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I've enjoyed Anderson bowling on the occasions I've seen him.

In actual fact I'd say Matt Henry for dibbly dobbling teams out early season. It was ''exciting'' if that is the definition you're looking for, albeit condition dependent.

Stokes has that aura. Remember him and Bunny grabbing wickets and winning an unlikely win v Surrey with the clock ticking.

trundler

My enduring memory of Lara was seeing him shoulder arms and get clean bowled by Jason Gillespie just before stumps at the 'G

Might have seen him fail for World XI in 2005 as well

Never got a chance to see him in full flow live unfortunately

Yeah I struggle to see how Anderson and Gillespie are boring but McGrath isn't
I am the human embodiment of the colour beige.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Salman Butt, Shahid Afridi and Mohammad Amir are all names that immediately spring to mind. I was on the edge of my seat trying to work out how they were going to cheat next.

flibbertyjibber

Gayle
Vaughan (that 18 months he destroyed allcomers was exceptional)
Lara
Tendulkar
Pietersen
Botham
Gilchrist
Warne
Marshall
Steyn
Waqar

Feel bad leaving Wasim out but no room for him.