• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most exciting cricketers you've seen live XI

srbhkshk

International Captain
V Sehwag
M Hayden
K Sangakkara
K Pietersen
AB deVilliers
VVS Laxman
A Gilchrist
M Johnson
S Warne
B Lee
D Steyn

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chris Gayle
Shimron Hetmyer
BC Lara
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Carl Hooper
QDK
Dave Mohammed
Dwayne Leverock
Murali
Malachi Jones (This name deserves to be in the Bada $$ thread)

Jack1

International Debutant
Gavaskar
Boycott
Dravid
Younis Khan
Chanderpaul
Kallis
Flower+
Kumble
Gillespie
Morkel
Herath

Haven't really watched some of them but their reputations couldn't be ignored.

Edit: Herath in for Anderson. Nothing wrong with 2 spinners in an XI for this purpos
Boycott and Gavaskar opening! HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAA

Just playing with you. In tests they can be exciting in the sense that a player could value their wicket so highly if that's what you value and enjoy. Obviously not in other formats though

Just seen you were joking. Difficult to tell over the Internet, there are some strange characters on it.

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Whom I saw live, in person.

G.Greenidge
V. Richards
R.Kanhai
B.Lara
C.Lloyd
G.Sobers
J.Dujon
M.Marshall
A.Roberts
C.Griffith
L.Gibbs

The WIndians had a natural knack for entertaining spectators. Calypso cricketers producing a range of shots which delighted and oozed entertainment value.

Quite frankly, the 2 most boring cricketers I saw live was Gavaskar and G.Turner - this too in an exhibition match :@

Jack1

International Debutant
1. Sehwag
2. Gayle
3. Tendulkar
4. Morgan
5. Lara
6. Bairstow
7. Buttler (wk)
8. Mascarenhas (vc)
9. Warne (c)
10. Brett Lee
11. Shoaib Akhtar

Tough choice. This is from players I've seen live in person and obviously my opinion from those. Batting line up depends on the format they are playing, this is the line up for a test match.

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Most Exciting Asian XI, I've seen live

Saeed Anwar
Shahid Afridi
Zaheer Abbas
S.Tendulkar
Duleep Mendis
S.Ganguly
Imran Khan
F.Engineer
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Abdul Qadir

Canadian reporter interviewing Tendulkar (a lad at the time) if he learned anything about batting from Imran Khan (after a partnership for World XI ) :blink:

trundler

Whom I saw live, in person.

G.Greenidge
V. Richards
R.Kanhai
B.Lara
C.Lloyd
G.Sobers
J.Dujon
M.Marshall
A.Roberts
C.Griffith
L.Gibbs

The WIndians had a natural knack for entertaining spectators. Calypso cricketers producing a range of shots which delighted and oozed entertainment value.

Quite frankly, the 2 most boring cricketers I saw live was Gavaskar and G.Turner - this too in an exhibition match :@
Was waiting for a Calypso XI. Kudos!

Curious what you think about Holding and Ambrose.

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
Reason for above post
I'm guessing that these may be the ones which require a bit of explaining:

Gavaskar: Gifted troke player who was also blessed with an impregnable defence which was a thing of rare beauty. Everyone knows about Gacaskar's exploits against pace; but he was the greatest player of spin bowling that I've ever seen. In test matches, he knew how valuable his wicket was, and deliberately refrained from being flamboyant; but I've also watched him a lot in FC matches where he would be in full flow in the later parts of his innings.

Another player who comes to mind when I think of Gavaskar is Ken Barrington; a gifted strokeplayer, remembered now for his stolidity.

Andy Roberts: The original thinking quick bowler, who plotted the demise of the batsman, like a grandmaster playing a strategically stunning chess game.

The other 'thinking' quick bowler was McGrath. But it is hard to like a lout; a major component of his strategy for outsmarting a batsman was drowning him in copious amounts of odious and malodorous effluents emanating from his mouth.

Shane Warne: I just like watching leg spin.

Bhagwath Chandrasekhar: Leg spin again, but Chandra was also an enigma; it was fascinating to watch his captain in action, wondering, after a series of long hops and half volleys whether to give him another over where he may produce yet another absolutely unplayable ball.

trundler

I'm guessing that these may be the ones which require a bit of explaining:

Gavaskar: Gifted troke player who was also blessed with an impregnable defence which was a thing of rare beauty. Everyone knows about Gacaskar's exploits against pace; but he was the greatest player of spin bowling that I've ever seen. In test matches, he knew how valuable his wicket was, and deliberately refrained from being flamboyant; but I've also watched him a lot in FC matches where he would be in full flow in the later parts of his innings.

Another player who comes to mind when I think of Gavaskar is Ken Barrington; a gifted strokeplayer, remembered now for his stolidity.

Andy Roberts: The original thinking quick bowler, who plotted the demise of the batsman, like a grandmaster playing a strategically stunning chess game.

The other 'thinking' quick bowler was McGrath. But it is hard to like a lout; a major component of his strategy for outsmarting a batsman was drowning him in copious amounts of odious and malodorous effluents emanating from his mouth.

Shane Warne: I just like watching leg spin.

Bhagwath Chandrasekhar: Leg spin again, but Chandra was also an enigma; it was fascinating to watch his captain in action, wondering, after a series of long hops and half volleys whether to give him another over where he may produce yet another absolutely unplayable ball.
Lillee and Lindwall are 2 other quicks who looked to outwit the batsman.

trundler

Surprised to see a lack of Thommo in this thread. Miller too.

Last edited: