• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in the West Indies 2018

Athlai

Not Terrible
Never would've happened if Nasir Hossain was playing.

Always impressive to see a team bottle 14 from 2 overs with two set batsman.

Borges

International Regular
Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory etc. Moral of the story: bowl full tosses to win ODI games.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This is what you call a choke lads. Not a mediocre South Africa team getting knocked out in every World Cup. You need to have a realistic chance of winning for it to be considered a choke

cnerd123

likes this
I was about to comment how impressive it was that they had the confidence to see this runchase through to the final overs, despite their history with finishing games

And then the last 2 overs happened. Wonderful.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
This is what you call a choke lads. Not a mediocre South Africa team getting knocked out in every World Cup. You need to have a realistic chance of winning for it to be considered a choke
Rain has robbed SA of a much better chance in semi finals in both Aus/NZ world cups.

But 1999 was kinda "chokey"

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I was about to comment how impressive it was that they had the confidence to see this runchase through to the final overs, despite their history with finishing games

And then the last 2 overs happened. Wonderful.
The perils of taking it deep?

cnerd123

likes this
Just proves that the Dhoni strategy is - has always been - a needlessly risky strategy.
tbf peak Dhoni didn't leave runs out there in the middle overs. He just didn't step on the gas till he had to. He still put bad balls away and constantly rotated the strike. His whole idea was not to take the game to the bowlers, but let them bring the game to him.

The way Mushy and Dullah played Gayle suggests they left runs out there tho. I don't believe that 2018 Gayle is turning out spells worthy of figures like 7-0-26-0 no matter how the pitch is playing.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^ I can still understand a spinner keeping it tight given this track was supposed to help spinners. But the amount of full tosses from Holder that they struggled to connect, even when Mahmudullah or Mushfiq were well set in their 30s is mind boggling. Against a mediocre attack in a chase, you win by nailing it every time they bowl a bad ball, which for a side like WI would be quite regularly.

Even if one of those full tosses had gone for a six, this match wouldn't have even gone till the last over

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha you know I actually don't mind that innings from Anamul. Really unselfish given it does absolutely nothing for his quest to cement a spot in the side, especially since it's not actually his natural game at all and was never going to result in a big score, but I wasn't expecting much from him and he's basically just turned a 270 chase into a 250 one. If they were going to pick someone to do that I would've preferred someone who could bowl, or at least someone who tees off for a living, but all the same.
In a typically Bangladeshi ****ed up sort of way, getting off to a flier actually may have contributed to the loss.

It made Tamim, Shakib and Doola so comfortable with the idea that they could just coast along to victory that there was never any pressure on them to up the run rate. When you're batting with that sort of mentality, you'll let some poor bowling slide here and there instead of punishing it like BW has alluded to regarding the full tosses.

I didn't watch the game so I may be talking bollocks here.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder if Holder started bowling full tosses intentionally in the end after seeing how bad BD were at connecting those

Borges

International Regular
Bangladesh will be ok once they win a couple of tense, close limited overs games. They won't choke any more after that.