• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

George Gunn - Truly One Of A Kind

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Another good tale about George Gunn is the time he was challenged to a single-wicket contest by a local amateur for £100. He refused, but the amateur persisted, and eventually he agreed to play for a fiver just to get rid of him.
Two days later, Gunn was 620 not out, and the amateur asked if he was going to declare. Gunn offered instead to bat on using the heavy roller as the wicket.
When he reached 777, the amateur gave up in a fit of pique.

Incidentally, I think you've sold George short - he was 50 when he was recalled for the tour of the West Indies. (And, famously, Derek Sealy of the opposing XI was born after Gunn's previous Test).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another good tale about George Gunn is the time he was challenged to a single-wicket contest by a local amateur for £100. He refused, but the amateur persisted, and eventually he agreed to play for a fiver just to get rid of him.
Two days later, Gunn was 620 not out, and the amateur asked if he was going to declare. Gunn offered instead to bat on using the heavy roller as the wicket.
When he reached 777, the amateur gave up in a fit of pique.

Incidentally, I think you've sold George short - he was 50 when he was recalled for the tour of the West Indies. (And, famously, Derek Sealy of the opposing XI was born after Gunn's previous Test).
You're right, of course, but it was definitely 48 the first time I did the calculation .............................

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Maybe because it was his age at the start of his good run from 1927-9 that you mentioned?

One more thing I hadn't realised - if he hadn't been struck on the head by Gover (or had scored some runs off Amar Singh in that game in 1932), he'd probably have played in Verity's 10-10 match a week later (in which case, of course, Verity might well not have taken 10-10 and Geary would still have the record).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe because it was his age at the start of his good run from 1927-9 that you mentioned?

One more thing I hadn't realised - if he hadn't been struck on the head by Gover (or had scored some runs off Amar Singh in that game in 1932), he'd probably have played in Verity's 10-10 match a week later (in which case, of course, Verity might well not have taken 10-10 and Geary would still have the record).
Very kind of you to give me a way out, but the truth is my arithmetic simply isn't as reliable as it should be

And that's a fascinating 'what if' - I think we had a thread on those, in fact possibly more than one, but I'm afraid I can't find it

a massive zebra

International Captain
Very kind of you to give me a way out, but the truth is my arithmetic simply isn't as reliable as it should be

And that's a fascinating 'what if' - I think we had a thread on those, in fact possibly more than one, but I'm afraid I can't find it
If you have issues with mental arithmetic, why not use this tool which can automatically calculate the duration between two dates:

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/timeduration.html