• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa Tour of Sri Lanka 2018

garylyon

School Boy/Girl Captain
Going with Philander and two spinners would be idiotic imo. I can't imagine the former doing a lot in SL because his brand of bowling relies heavily on helpful conditions. I'd much rather play an extra bat like de Bruyne or even someone like Duminy (or has he retired?)

Marius

International Debutant
Going with Philander and two spinners would be idiotic imo. I can't imagine the former doing a lot in SL because his brand of bowling relies heavily on helpful conditions. I'd much rather play an extra bat like de Bruyne or even someone like Duminy (or has he retired?)
Duminy has retired from Tests.

And after giving it some thought I think you're right - play to your strengths and ours are our fast bowlers. Play Maharaj and we should be fine (unless we play on a real dust bowl).

Dendarii

International Debutant
I know...

Bavuma at four is OK though I think. Quinny and Vern might both be a spot too high though.
Although it's a small sample size, Bavuma averages more at four and five than he does at six, so I don't think there's a problem pushing him up the order. And De Kock and Philander average the most at seven and eight respectively. So the best lineup would be seven batsmen and four bowlers, with part-time spin from Elgar and Markram if absolutely necessary.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think the pitch will dictate... if it is very dry and and looks like it will spin sideways day one, we will need the extra bat (de Bruyn encumbent, but not to sure about him vs spin at the moment?). Markram and Elgar can be the 2nd/3rd spinner or else I can see Steyn not playing. (Philander will play). If it looks flat I think 6 batsmen is fine with Philander at 7; and we should play von Berg.

Bahseph

State Captain
Vern is a very good number 8. One of the best around imo. But he should never be asked to bat 7 away from home. As for QDK, he has the talent to bat anywhere as far as I'm concerned, but for whatever reason he hasn't shown that he can bat above 7. So that's where he stays. I know StephenZA wants to see Von Berg. But we both know it's probably going to be Shamsi if we play two spinners. Don't think we should though. Maharaj, Vern, Rabada and Steyn for me. Guess de Bruyn gets the number 6 ahead of Klaasen.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Galle is likely to take a fair bit of turn from word go, but particularly day 3 onwards.

SSC tends to remain pretty flat

YorksLanka

International Debutant
gutted that I will be arriving in SL this year just after the series finishes..was hoping to get to a couple of the ODI's..

Dendarii

International Debutant
As for QDK, he has the talent to bat anywhere as far as I'm concerned, but for whatever reason he hasn't shown that he can bat above 7.
Without checking the matches where we batted at six seven, I wonder how many of them came at a time when the top order wasn't doing as well as they should have done. So perhaps he hasn't had as much freedom to play his natural game when he's gone up the order.

But there isn't really any point in playing him at six if there's no one to bat at seven. Philander's not good enough to bat there, so until someone else comes along (Mulder the most likely candidate), De Kock needs to stay at seven.

Guess de Bruyn gets the number 6 ahead of Klaasen.
I would go with De Bruyn for now as I think he deserves at extended run in the side rather than being in and out the way he has been so far. But he does need to start producing the runs, as if he doesn't improve on his record so far then we're actually no better off than if we had De Kock at six and Philander and seven.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Vern is a very good number 8. One of the best around imo. But he should never be asked to bat 7 away from home. As for QDK, he has the talent to bat anywhere as far as I'm concerned, but for whatever reason he hasn't shown that he can bat above 7. So that's where he stays. I know StephenZA wants to see Von Berg. But we both know it's probably going to be Shamsi if we play two spinners. Don't think we should though. Maharaj, Vern, Rabada and Steyn for me. Guess de Bruyn gets the number 6 ahead of Klaasen.
THey should identify the same with Dilruwan Perera. Don't allow him to bat above 8.

Bahseph

State Captain
THey should identify the same with Dilruwan Perera. Don't allow him to bat above 8.
Agree with you there. Mathews not being able to bowl much over the last two years has really forced them to change their team composition though. Can't bowl Lakmal into the ground if Herath isn't on form.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with you there. Mathews not being able to bowl much over the last two years has really forced them to change their team composition though. Can't bowl Lakmal into the ground if Herath isn't on form.
With Dhananjaya de Silva able to contribute some overs SL should be in a position to field 2 seamers for most matches anyway. When Dilruwan batted at 7, the tail basically started there, and what follows Dilruwan is usually pretty dire, SL has the weakest tail of the non-minnows.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If Sri Lanka fields two spinners, and with DdS and Dhanushka Gunathilaka, there is enough spin options as change up. If Herath is not in form, probably Dilruwan and Dhananjaya should make the XI, despite both being off spinners. Lakshan Sandakan could make the XI as well. I am not sold on Malinda Pushpakumara is good enough against top quality batsmen. Dhananaya and Sandakan have plenty of mystery around them as well. Once there are four spinners, over bowling of seamers should not even be discussed.

My Xi would be;
Dhanushka Gunathilaka (6), Dimuth Karunarathne (7), Dhananaya de Silva(5), Kusal Mendis, Dinesh Chandimal / Roshen Silva, Angelo Mathews, Niroshan Dikwella, Dilruwan Perera (4), Herath / Sandakan (3), Suranga Lakmal (1), Kasun Rajitha (2),

Will give Lahiru Kumara a break. May be play him on more pace friendly Pallekele, not on Galle dustbowl, and break him. Bowling options within paranthesis. DK is a medium pacer.

Borges

International Regular
If I were a Sri Lankan selector, the first name I would put on the team sheet is Herath (if he is fit enough to play).

I wouldn't ask Chandimal to captain the team, even if he escapes a further ban; even though Faf would be leading South Africa...

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, looks almost like an international batting lineup. Should be an interesting series, this.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If I were a Sri Lankan selector, the first name I would put on the team sheet is Herath (if he is fit enough to play).

I wouldn't ask Chandimal to captain the team, even if he escapes a further ban; even though Faf would be leading South Africa...
Herath and Chandimal are the first two names needed in the sheet, agree with that. Food for thought on captaincy. Lakmal can continue for this series.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Want to see Mathews do well this series. Bloke has swollen up like an idli over the last few years and his batting has fallen apart. He's so good to watch when he's batting well.