• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa Tour of Sri Lanka 2018

SeamUp

International Coach
Very strong Board XI - Guess that is what most of these games are about these days. Even the home team players just need a little hit out in the middle.

von Berg with 2 but after an extended spell.

Shamsi just got 2 in his first over back.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're going along at a pretty decent clip here if cricinfo scorecard is to be believed.

Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 4.57.10 PM.png

Bahseph

State Captain
Want to see Mathews do well this series. Bloke has swollen up like an idli over the last few years and his batting has fallen apart. He's so good to watch when he's batting well.
Rocking the Dad-bod these days. I think he doesn't train for bowling much anymore. Probably a reason.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Very strong Board XI - Guess that is what most of these games are about these days. Even the home team players just need a little hit out in the middle.
Strong top 5 anyway, I'm really keen to see who SL goes for to open with Dimuth (who is now fit, having played for Sri Lanka A last month), it's a shame that Kaushal Silva isn't in the squad as I think he'd have something to offer in terms of blunting the SA pace attack upfront, Roshen Silva has done himself no favours if Chandimal is available for this series.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Strong top 5 anyway, I'm really keen to see who SL goes for to open with Dimuth (who is now fit, having played for Sri Lanka A last month), it's a shame that Kaushal Silva isn't in the squad as I think he'd have something to offer in terms of blunting the SA pace attack upfront, Roshen Silva has done himself no favours if Chandimal is available for this series.
Still can be used down the order

Bolo

State Captain
That (real) scorecard almost makes me feel like Lanka were trolling RSA... "Listen boys we've got them measured, now let's lose our wickets to the guys they may not select to cast some doubt on their selections for the tests".

Not serious, but it's happening.

Borges

International Regular
Unless he is injured, Maharaj is a certainty for the tests; South Africa deliberately hid him from the Sri Lankans in this game.
The only real question is: do South Africa go in with two regular spinners? If so, would they bench one of their three quick bowlers?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Unlikely we bench one of the three quick bowlers, and if we do it would likely be Steyn! So, assuming no injuries, almost guaranteed Philander, Rabada, Steyn, Maharaj. The question is do we play the extra spinner, probably Shamsi, or the extra bat. And for me that will depend on what the pitch looks like.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Unless he is injured, Maharaj is a certainty for the tests; South Africa deliberately hid him from the Sri Lankans in this game.
The only real question is: do South Africa go in with two regular spinners? If so, would they bench one of their three quick bowlers?
I think both sides are doing it. Sri Lanka is hiding Akhila Dhanajaya and Lakshan Sandakan and SAF hiding Maharaj. SL even did not bowl Dhananjaya de Silva a lot, because he is a certain 3rd spinner for the side.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Still can be used down the order
With two openers playing, as well as Mathews and Chandimal available, there's only two spots available for Dhananjaya, Mendis, Kusal Perera and Roshen Silva in the middle order. Assuming Dickwella bats 7

Borges

International Regular
From what Otis Gibson has to say, it looks like Steyn, Rabada and Ngidi for the test match, with Philander sitting out. Horses for courses.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From what Otis Gibson has to say, it looks like Steyn, Rabada and Ngidi for the test match, with Philander sitting out. Horses for courses.
Should be, probably won't though. Horses for courses is underused in Test cricket.