Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: The Inaugural World Test Championship

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Borges View Post
    With the current format, they are not going to get much of a boost from India.
    If India-Pakistan series were involved, it would have been a completely different story.
    If you see India fighting it out for a top 2 berth towards the end, I think there will be a boost in interest. Plus the finals themselves, which I'm guessing they make, at least this cycle.

India-pak really need to sort their issues out and play. And it's not just about the cricket. Contact between countries helps normalise relations.

One good thing that may come out of this is that it will hopefully make the "away is important, home is unimportant" crowd shut up for good. Hopefully.
    Big blow to the statistics sites; most of their traffic must be coming from the CricketWeb crowd.
    Na, with cycles only having a home away disparity, it will make these statements even stronger. Scheduling is going to determine finalists in some iterations if the format stays the same.
    Last edited by Bolo; 20-06-2018 at 08:22 AM.
    OverratedSanity likes this.

International Coach
    Must admit struggling to see this landing. Big series win away in India or winning Ashes vs winning a Championship that means you can luckily dodge the best team and "win" it?

I hope I am wrong and it adds context + revitalisies Tests but I am skeptical at the moment. They do need to try something so hopefully it is a first iteration and have to give them credit for that.
    Last edited by 91Jmay; 20-06-2018 at 08:25 AM.

I think that the animus that existed among the fans of either country has more or less disappeared with a much younger crowd being dominant now.
    But the interest in the biggest sporting rivalry in cricket (one for the largest body of cricket fans in the world) is still very high.

State Captain
    I think that the animus that existed among the fans of either country has more or less disappeared with a much younger crowd being dominant now.
    But the interest in the biggest sporting rivalry in cricket (one for the largest body of cricket fans in the world) is still very high.
    I'm thinking beyond the cricket fan here. It's two countries involved in a nuclear arms race. Good to normalise relations in any way possible

On the cricket itself, nixing the biggest rivalry is an outright sin.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Can't wait for Australia to find a new excuse to pull out of a Bangladesh tour with championship points on the line

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    “We’re so far in front/ we’re cemented in X place/ we’re last anyway. Player welfare is paramount”, said Janes Sutherland as he walked out the door while Jolimont Street burned to the ground.

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    But the final will feel farcical if fans feel that both teams did not face a comparable set of challenges to make it there.
    Yeah just using India as an example, depending on the scheduling you could practically guarantee that they'll win the thing, or conversely you could practically guarantee that they won't make the finals

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    Na, with cycles only having a home away disparity, it will make these statements even stronger. Scheduling is going to determine finalists in some iterations if the format stays the same.
    Yeah was just about to say this. Using a 2 year cycle it actually enhances the importance of home v away.
    Last edited by TheJediBrah; 20-06-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Has anyone actually read the FTP yet?

https://www.icc-cricket.com/future-tours-and-events

The PDF file is better.

I'm reading it now. It's not great tbh. Lots of cricket scheduled for BD, which is good to see, but not much at all for Afghan and Ireland on initial reading.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    the Windies are set to tour India, and New Zealand host Sri Lanka, both in July
    Wait, what?

I like that we get for Ireland vs Afghanistan next year 1 test, 5 ODIs and 3 T20Is

Excellent balance, the perfect series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    i like many come to cw to briefly escape the pain of mediocre and obscure existence by being mediocre and obscure on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitycreeper View Post
    been speakin to this lass for a while finally got her round muy house. whakcd on netflix and told her to pick a film. big mistake cos she picked ****in footlose. 2 hours of torture and she dint even blow me. shambles. safe to say we arent talkin no more

Quote Originally Posted by Gnske View Post
    I like that we get for Ireland vs Afghanistan next year 1 test, 5 ODIs and 3 T20Is

Excellent balance, the perfect series.
    Nah way too many Tests

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Who will host the World Test Championship final? - ESPNcricinfo

ESPNcricinfo has learned that there is a difference of opinion over where the final should be held. The ICC and most member boards have agreed that the first two finals - in 2021 and 2023 - should be held in the country where the game originated; for instance, New Zealand's FTP schedule for 2019-23, released by NZC on Wednesday, had the final pencilled in for June 2021, with England as the host.

The BCCI, however, is believed to be of the view that the final should be hosted by whichever team finishes at the top of the championship table at the cut-off date for championship matches - which is the end of March 2021 in the case of the inaugural edition.
    I think I agree with the BCCI. Fair enough that the top team gets to have an advantage.

Issues of timing for the final led most countries to conclude that the English summer was the most practical place for the final to be played, potentially with a showpiece week at Lord's, the traditional home of the game. "Being a new concept and a Test match being a one-off, what we've decided and agreed is the best timing for the Championship playoff will be the June-July period," Sutherland said.
    Good point as we all know it never rains in England in June

Also, England will lose at Lord's so it's hardly home advantage.
    Bijed likes this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Wouldn't the WC final be played at Lords? Food for thought for the English bovine.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Who will host the World Test Championship final? - ESPNcricinfo

I think I agree with the BCCI. Fair enough that the top team gets to have an advantage.

Good point as we all know it never rains in England in June
    First time the BCCI is the voice of reason. Obviously the season thing is an issue but either the team on top should 100% get any home advantage, or it should be a neutral venue.

If England finish 2nd and India finish on top it would be extremely unfair for it to played in England.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information