• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Inaugural World Test Championship

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, think eventually it will come down to a "Win Series - X points, Draw Series - Y points" system. With some marginally extra points for margins of victory (4-1 better than 2-0). And maybe a few points for the series losing side winning a game or two.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thank goodness this was not around during the SL/SA tour...
good point

yet both sides would still have gotten more points from that series than England or Australia for this Ashes

Yeah, think eventually it will come down to a "Win Series - X points, Draw Series - Y points" system. With some marginally extra points for margins of victory (4-1 better than 2-0). And maybe a few points for the series losing side winning a game or two.
That's very sensible. Make the series result be what determines 80-90% of the points, and the margin of victory and results of individual tests be sort of "bonus points" worth 10-20%.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The problem with this is that it does not encourage longer series against the 'smaller' teams. It effectively makes it better to have shorter series. At least in this manner, there is some encouragement to give a longer series to the 'smaller' teams, and also allows that the smaller teams to still be competitive in the championship if they win tests in those short series.

Ultimately, I can't really see a solution here as long as the bigger associations don't give enough tests to the smaller associations and are willing to compromise on some of the timetable structures.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

That's very sensible. Make the series result be what determines 80-90% of the points, and the margin of victory and results of individual tests be sort of "bonus points" worth 10-20%.
As a practical example of this, say comparing a 2-0 result from 2 Tests to a 2-1 result form 5 Tests:

Current system:
2-0 (2) = winner gets 120 pts
2-1 (5) = winner gets 48 pts

Proposed system:
2-0 (2) = 80 pts for series win + 20 pts for margin = 100 pts
2-1 (5) = 80 pts for series win + 10 pts for margin = 90 pts

Obviously made up the numbers a bit but the second would make a lot more sense IMO

Spark

Global Moderator
People won't complain endlessly about it if they find the points system too silly. They just won't care, and this will be seen as a short-lived experiment rather than catching on.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Stupid format that no one will give a **** about. Except potentially the team that wins it, and even then not really.

TheJediBrah

It will be funny if England finish second and India finish first, then they have to play the final in England and of course England win

aussie tragic

International Captain
This would require the ashes and every other ad-hoc series to be cancelled. You will essentially have to wipe the slate clean and start over. But obviously the big 3 will not want to do that so we're back to square one.
Not really. ICC #1 India just played #8 WI and #4 Eng just played #5 Australia so all we need is #2 NZ to play #7 Pakistan and #3 South Africa to play #6 Sri Lanka and first round over....

...not sure what we do about Aus Eng 2-2 draw though...who's got the boundary count?

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Yep, WTC confirmed as crap.

India beat WI 2-0-0 and have 120 points
NZ tie SL 1-1-0 and have 60 points each
Aus tie Eng 2-2-1 and have 56 points each

I know which cricket efforts I rate the highest and they're currently ranked =4th in the WTC even though they've played 3 more tests than the teams ranked 1-3
I think this is perfectly fine and the problem is not with the points system but with the length of the series.

As a practical example of this, say comparing a 2-0 result from 2 Tests to a 2-1 result form 5 Tests:

Current system:
2-0 (2) = winner gets 120 pts
2-1 (5) = winner gets 48 pts

Proposed system:
2-0 (2) = 80 pts for series win + 20 pts for margin = 100 pts
2-1 (5) = 80 pts for series win + 10 pts for margin = 90 pts

Obviously made up the numbers a bit but the second would make a lot more sense IMO
If you win 2-1 in a 5 test series, the points are split 64 - 40

Which I think is not a problem - you win the series you get more points. Just because you scheduled a longer series doesn't mean you should get more points.

If a team won a series 3-2, I'd hate to be the team that won two games in a closely fought series and get 0 points.

sunilz

International Regular
Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
I've just read that the WTC final will be played at Lords, the rain capital of the cricket World, and that in the event of a draw the 2 teams will be joint champions.

Better than the team at top of table just needing a draw, but after all this we may still not end up with a WTC champion....really!

TheJediBrah

Which I think is not a problem - you win the series you get more points. Just because you scheduled a longer series doesn't mean you should get more points.

If a team won a series 3-2, I'd hate to be the team that won two games in a closely fought series and get 0 points.
Doesn't seem like you paid any attention to what I said. I've reiterated a couple of times now that I'm not suggesting that a longer series should be more points so I don't know where you've got that from.

Nor did I suggest at any stage that a losing team gets 0 points

Flem274*

123/5
bonus points would really help with this, similar to what you see in super rugby and itm cup.

under the 10 points win, 5 points drawn series system you could have 2 or 3 bonus points for narrow losses like rugby has for finishing within 7 points. a 3-2 scoreline for example could earn some bonus points.

similarly if you annihilate the opposition you could pick up bonus points like 4 tries earns in rugby.

TheJediBrah

bonus points would really help with this, similar to what you see in super rugby and itm cup.

under the 10 points win, 5 points drawn series system you could have 2 or 3 bonus points for narrow losses like rugby has for finishing within 7 points. a 3-2 scoreline for example could earn some bonus points.

similarly if you annihilate the opposition you could pick up bonus points like 4 tries earns in rugby.
much better than what we have now, ie. literally just giving points per Test match regardless of the result of the series