• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Inaugural World Test Championship

Flem274*

123/5
blame your money grubbing boards you whining sooks.

we all know if 2 of the big 3 actually toured bangladesh for 2 tests instead of studiously avoiding them they'd get slaughtered anyway.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It looks like the big 3 want to have their cake and eat it as well. If you want a fair points system schedule tours against all teams equally and standardize what a series is and how often it is played. If you want to put the big 3 series on a pedestal and award them more points then why even have WTC in the first place lol
? odd to bring this up when 2 of the big three just got dicked by the points format.

TheJediBrah

blame your money grubbing boards you whining sooks.

we all know if 2 of the big 3 actually toured bangladesh for 2 tests instead of studiously avoiding them they'd get slaughtered anyway.
Bit of a misinformed statement from you phlegm given that they don't avoid going to Bangladesh, but avoid hosting them which would be a guaranteed clean sweep win

? odd to bring this up when 2 of the big three just got dicked by the points format.
I think that's his point.

Flem274*

123/5
10 points for a series win, 5 each for honours shared imo

teams generally have 3-4 test series of varying length per year. in world cup year those that hate trying might cut it to 2 series. a home and away cycle in 4 years would require 5 series per year which is easily doable but would require cutting very important 7 odi and 5 t20 style tours so will never happen.

cricket in general is starting to get ridiculous imo, especially since you'll often see months and months of nothing followed by 30 7 match odi series in the space of 3 months.

the t20 wc really needs to get in the bin but the boards would rather kill cricket i.e. tests

Flem274*

123/5
in terms of money, i don't think t20 would even be required if they were faster on the uptake of franchise 50 over cricket during professionalisation. a 'super cricket' in the southern hemisphere would be pretty well received by aus/sa/nz fanbase and the indian dollar if it had the international players in it every week.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Yep, WTC confirmed as crap.

India beat WI 2-0-0 and have 120 points
NZ tie SL 1-1-0 and have 60 points each
Aus tie Eng 2-2-1 and have 56 points each

I know which cricket efforts I rate the highest and they're currently ranked =4th in the WTC even though they've played 3 more tests than the teams ranked 1-3
It's the same concept as the ODI World cup, beating NZ or England nets the same 2 points as that of beating Afg or BD. It's not as if Australia won't have easier series in the cycle or that India will always play easier ones. And ftr Australia got clobbered in SL so it's funny to question the points NZ have got.

DriveClub

International Regular
That would make a lot more sense than giving points per each individual Test match, scaled depending on the length of the Test series.
Whole purpose of awarding points per test was that there was no dead rubbers. Each test had something riding on it even if the series was decided.

srbhkshk

International Captain
So you don't get an advantage as a result of the length of series you play. You'd have to win a 5 match series 5-0 to get the same points as winning a 2-match series 2-0
That's how it is currently?

Edit - I guess you mean it shouldn't be that way, but why not?

Last edited:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Every one plays equal no. of series in WTC. In that case,why should a team winning a 5 match series by a bigger margin be awarded more points than a team winning a 2 match series. This will give unfair advantage to teams playing more no. of test matches(eg; England) than teams like Pakistan and BD who play less no. of matches.

Win the series, pocket the points, as simple as that.

TheJediBrah

That's how it is currently?

Edit - I guess you mean it shouldn't be that way, but why not?
5-0 almost never happens, 2-0 is relatively common. If you're playing a 5 match series, or several, during the WTC qualifying you're likely losing out on points

If you just ignore match results and give points for the series results then you have a relatively fair system that doesn't discriminate between the length of the series. Sure you still have dead rubbers but I'd rather that than you get to the WTC final and no one respects the results because of an overly complicated and uneven points system.

Every one plays equal no. of series in WTC. In that case,why should a team winning a 5 match series by a bigger margin be awarded more points than a team winning a 2 match series. This will give unfair advantage to teams playing more no. of test matches(eg; England) than teams like Pakistan and BD who play less no. of matches.
Where did anyone say that they should? No one said that. It should be the same, assuming everyone plays the same number of series.

a 2-0 win over 2 Tests win shouldn't give you a lot more points than a 3-1 win over 5 Tests, which currently it does

Win the series, pocket the points, as simple as that.
no, it's not simple as that at all. That's the whole thing we're discussing. My point is that it should be simple as that.

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
5-0 almost never happens, 2-0 is relatively common. If you're playing a 5 match series, or several, during the WTC qualifying you're likely losing out on points

If you just ignore match results and give points for the series results then you have a relatively fair system that doesn't discriminate between the length of the series. Sure you still have dead rubbers but I'd rather that than you get to the WTC final and no one respects the results because of an overly complicated and uneven points system.
But then you get the same points for a 1-0 win in a 5 match series as you get from 5-0? How is that fair?

srbhkshk

International Captain
That's fairer than what we have now IMO. A series win is a series win.
Nah, the current system is more reasonable, the dividend you can get from playing a shorter series is balanced by the risk of a single test upset associated with it.