• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Inaugural World Test Championship

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
To be honest, this cycle of teams "doctoring" the pitches is so much to look forward to. Faf doing to SC teams in SA brought out an absolute star in Kusal Perera. If anything, India doing the same to SA by exposing them to minefields gives them an opportunity to create their own version of Perera. If someone comes up good, he will get all the accolades.

Spark

Global Moderator
Pitch doctoring is, on balance, good and it should be done more (within reason etc etc), not least because it is gloriously funny when it backfires.

Pitches need to get more distinct around the world, not less.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There is nothing wrong with doctoring. In fact I'd go as far as to say I was a pro-doctoring. Accurately reading what sort of pitch will most favour your side and then actually being able to prepare it in such a way so it works no matter who wins the toss are both skills, and I like this element of Test cricket.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
So basically,

For a visiting team : Conquer the alien conditions and earn respect.

For a home team : Prepare tailor made tracks and when they backfire, run with your tail between your legs.

Absolutely love this scenario.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with all of the above. I've never had a problem with pitch doctoring, just get annoyed that we are behind the curve at it.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Yep, WTC confirmed as crap.

India beat WI 2-0-0 and have 120 points
NZ tie SL 1-1-0 and have 60 points each
Aus tie Eng 2-2-1 and have 56 points each

I know which cricket efforts I rate the highest and they're currently ranked =4th in the WTC even though they've played 3 more tests than the teams ranked 1-3

SillyCowCorner1

No. Teams should just play the same number of home series as away series.
In a perfect world, this would be ideal.

Yeah, give India 240 points for their WI win. Points system is a farce now, never mind making it worse.
I was gonna say something along the lines of 'quality of opposition should be taken into consideration', but that's too much logistics and **** for the ICC. They should really have IBM's Watson with them.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tbh though, while the Test Championship scoring system is obviously flawed (it's hard for it not to be when the structure of how series have traditionally been played is so badly suited to a league format) I like that it values all series equally (except the series it randomly decides don't count). Some two test series between New Zealand and Sri Lanka being worth as many points as your precious, super important five match ultra marathon test series between two members of the all mighty big three is kind of hilarious and feels like poetic justice for all the **** scheduling fans and players of the poor countries have had to put up with for years.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I was gonna say something along the lines of 'quality of opposition should be taken into consideration', but that's too much logistics and **** for the ICC.
Not hard at all. Scrap the current WTC format and just use ICC Test ratings starting with 3 test series between:

1 vs 8
2 vs 7
3 vs 6
4 vs 5

4 winners re-ranked 1-4 with 4 test series of:

1 vs 4
2 vs 3

2 winners play a 5 test series.

Pretty simple really ;)

DriveClub

International Regular
It looks like the big 3 want to have their cake and eat it as well. If you want a fair points system schedule tours against all teams equally and standardize what a series is and how often it is played. If you want to put the big 3 series on a pedestal and award them more points then why even have WTC in the first place lol

DriveClub

International Regular
Not hard at all. Scrap the current WTC format and just use ICC Test ratings starting with 3 test series between:

1 vs 8
2 vs 7
3 vs 6
4 vs 5

4 winners re-ranked 1-4 with 4 test series of:

1 vs 4
2 vs 3

2 winners play a 5 test series.

Pretty simple really ;)
This would require the ashes and every other ad-hoc series to be cancelled. You will essentially have to wipe the slate clean and start over. But obviously the big 3 will not want to do that so we're back to square one.

Daemon

The current format is obviously a compromise between having a league and letting individual boards have autonomy over their scheduling.

The ideal structure is just not feasible in the current environment.