• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricinfo Best Test 11 from last 25 years

Singh767

School Boy/Girl Captain
"Readers' XI

We polled ESPNcricinfo users in May, and their men's Test XI of the last 25 years is identical to the jury's:
1. Matthew Hayden
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Brian Lara
6. Jacques Kallis
7. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
8. Wasim Akram
9. Shane Warne
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath"

One hell of a team, in my opinion would beat any other 25 year era team. I would throw Cook in for one of the openers (cricinfo said it was a tie between him and Hayden but Hayden won the tiebreaker) - England being the hardest place to open plus his records in Asia etc, or Graeme Smith. Steyn for Murali if its outside asia perhaps. Dravid is a shout instead of Ponting I would say. http://www.espncricinfo.com/25/content/story/1145229.html

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I read it as a hierarchy of best players from the last 25 years, and was pleased to see that Ponting was rightly placed above Tendulkar.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Warne is captain ? Over others who have actually led their country. :blink:
A credibility issue from CI who have not thought this thru or trying to generate controversy

Bolo

State Captain
The balance of the bowling attack seems a bit off to me. Only McGrath had a high percentage of top order wickets. Everyone else is more effective against the middle and tail. Not a lot of new ball overs in this team unless you are willing to give Kallis a go. But in a great bowling team he'd be more of an act of desperation/ chance to give the others a rest. Don't really want him bowling until we've seen the others fail, because it probably just means pricier wickets and with Murali and Warne in, rest isn't really going to be needed.

Borges

International Regular
Warne is captain ? Over others who have actually led their country. :blink:
A credibility issue from CI who have not thought this thru or trying to generate controversy
Trying to generate controversy. The surest way to get more eye balls. Google page rank etc.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hey, I already made a thread for this! But this is what CW agreed on too, except with Smith instead of Sehwag.

trundler

How would this XI fare against the inter-war one with Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Hammond, Headley and others?

Bolo

State Captain
Steyn or Ambrose in for Akram or Warne or Murali would all work for me.

I feel like Steyn complements Magrath better than Ambrose, so I'd be more likely to go this route if dropping a spinner. Ambrose is a better opening bowler than Steyn though, so I might go that way if dropping Akram.

If forced to pick, I'd probably just flip a coin for Murali or Warne and add Steyn.

trundler

Akram and Warne/Murali would handle the old ball. You need a new ball bowler. Steyn provides more variety than Ambrose because Ambrose (according to himself, even) was similar to McGrath. Akram can bat a bit so he stays.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Warne and Murali stay put. The best LBG and OB bowlers in the annals of the game.
The fasties need ferocity and variety. Thus, I'd go with Akram and Ambrose (as hard as it is to leave McGrath out)

trundler

Warne and Murali stay put. The best LBG and OB bowlers in the annals of the game.
The fasties need ferocity and variety. Thus, I'd go with Akram and Ambrose (as hard as it is to leave McGrath out)
Sacrilege. McGrath is as immovable as Gilchrist or Kallis in that XI. The greatest LBG and OB bowlers just happened to be around in the same quarter century but having 2 spinners outside India is stupid. Effectiveness is more important than ferocity or anything. McGrath is essential to cripple the opposition by demolishing the top order. If anything, Akram can be replaced by Steyn. You still get reverse swing and an awesome old-ball bowler and ferocity.