• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England 2018

Who will win the ODI series?

• England

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Australia

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jeez our bowling looks like rubbish. England's is as well, but more a known quantity. It could be a high scoring series depending on the pitches, though we have Paine to slow things down at the end of the innings.

Jack1

International Debutant
Am I the only one that never gets excited really about ODI cricket anymore? I like tests and t20 a lot, but feel like ODI cricket is neither here nor there..I find it difficult to get excited about. Maybe the people that like ODI stuff aren't a fan of the other formats much

By the way 5 odis and one t20 seems a weird balance to me. 3 odis and 3 t20s would have been better.

Jack1

International Debutant
Should send Maxwell to open
I agree. I feel like the amount of runs he makes isn't really effected by where he bats. The difference though is the initial power play and strike rate. Favours the team more if he opens as you get off to a flier. Looking at his stats quicker the higher he bats the higher the strike rate , I thought that was the case. I think it's best to think about if you were the opponent what would you least like Australia to do. I feel like you'd least want Finch and Maxwell to be opening up. So that's what Australia should go with in my view in ODIs and the t20

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hey, we’ve had to watch Anderson for a decade. Think of it as pay back.

Daemon

Really? I like the novelty of watching new players. Except they're usually boring fast-medium bowlers.
Yeah this. I love watching debutants and new players. Cricket would be incredibly boring to me if it was the same few time and again.

vcs

When was the last time England went in as such clear favorites against Australia in a limited overs series? Usually Australia always beat them in bilateral ODIs even if they lose the Tests.

TheJediBrah

When was the last time England went in as such clear favorites against Australia in a limited overs series? Usually Australia always beat them in bilateral ODIs even if they lose the Tests.
It's usually whoever loses the Ashes that wins the ODIs. Been that way for almost a decade, it's weird

vcs

When all the cool kids in school were aping Warne, ***** probably idolized Raju as a kid

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It's usually whoever loses the Ashes that wins the ODIs. Been that way for almost a decade, it's weird
That is absolutely true and has been so commencing 2005. With the one exception 2013-14 (nothing went right for England that winter!), the winner of the Ashes lost the one-day series (and vice versa). It should be pointed out that there wasn't an one-day series 2006-07.

TheJediBrah

That is absolutely true and has been so commencing 2005. With the one exception 2013-14 (nothing went right for England that winter!), the winner of the Ashes lost the one-day series (and vice versa). It should be pointed out that there wasn't an one-day series 2006-07.
There was an ODI Tri-series in 06/07, which England won

(poor little NZ failed to make the finals)

Mr Miyagi

Banned
So now Chris Woakes has joined Ben Stokes in missing the Australia series.

Things are levelling out here between the teams. Woakes was massive in England winning the series between the two teams at the start of the year with huge runs and sublime batting where most teams pray for tail end wagging.

Australian chances of success have improved. How much?

I am rather excitedly anticipating what the England fans in the crowd have in store for Australia given their efforts during the Pakistan test did not even feature Australia, and there was still a group of Davey Warners. This could be crowd trolling at a whole new level.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
In Australia, Ben Stokes unavailability meant he had to be replaced by a batsman as he normally bats 5. That left the bowling short. Because the batting is brittle at the top, Bairstow is good, but Roy and Hales are very hit or miss, as is Morgan to a certain degree, it meant that Root controls the top, and Buttler and/or Woakes had to see England through a lot. But that is okay, that is the England game plan. Rely on batting deep with allrounders in the team like Stokes, Woakes, Ali and lessely Willey. Keep striking, lose wickets, keep striking.

Now I fear the England bowling will be short again, as well as the batting. Woakes just scored so many vital runs in Australia.

Does it matter for this series against Australia? Or is Australia just too weak at the moment? Buttler may well be in career best form which is a boost for England.

Morgan is averaging just 23 for the year striking at less than 75. He has to be under selection pressure for the India series if he doesn't get some runs this series and then Stokes is back.

Last edited: