• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers Vs Rohit Sharma

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well one could argue that Kohli isn't that much better than Tendulkar was compared to everyone else in his time It's kind of inexplicable to me how batsmen have gotten so much better so quickly.

Bolo

State Captain
Sachin averaged 48 at 88 as an opener between '94 to '12. I think that is a more impressive feat.

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo
It's much longer, but statistically far inferior. Era adjustment is needed, but not that much- the periods overlap. And while scoring has been much easier in ABs time, there are some question marks on conditions they each faced. Their home averages are not too different, but Sachin averaged 37 away compared to 62 for AB.

smash84

The Tiger King
It's much longer, but statistically far inferior. Era adjustment is needed, but not that much- the periods overlap. And while scoring has been much easier in ABs time, there are some question marks on conditions they each faced. Their home averages are not too different, but Sachin averaged 37 away compared to 62 for AB.
bowling for most of Tendulkar was significantly better than anything that kohli/ab has had to face though

Wasim, Waqar, Donald,Pollock, Walsh, Ambrose, McGrath, Saqlain, Murali, Warne etc. Even Zim had Heath Streak.

Bolo

State Captain
bowling for most of Tendulkar was significantly better than anything that kohli/ab has had to face though

Wasim, Waqar, Donald,Pollock, Walsh, Ambrose, McGrath, Saqlain, Murali, Warne etc. Even Zim had Heath Streak.
No arguments there. The 90s were tougher. Tendulkar was playing for the majority of ABs career though, so you can't radically era adjust his stats (see Viv).

Mr Miyagi

Banned
No arguments there. The 90s were tougher. Tendulkar was playing for the majority of ABs career though, so you can't radically era adjust his stats (see Viv).
ABDV was the best 4 or 5 I believe since Viv, they have Dhoni level averages at SR that are ahead, Viv was of course a different era. Viv and AbDV are my 2 best. But Kohli probably aint finished yet climbing to his peak.

Kohli may go on to become the greatest run maker in ODI history and lock down the number 3 spot if he hasn't already.

Tendulkar may be the best opener in ODI history. If so, is his partner bowling options Jayasuriya (*better bowler) or M Waugh (ace in the field), wicket-keeper Gilly (this effect Dhoni or whoever you choose) or the batting glutton Amla?

Fun fact,

in 1992 in NZ Mark Greathbatch opens in ODI for the first time.

in 1993 in NZ Mark Waugh opens in ODI for the first time.

in 1994 in NZ Sachin Tendulkar opens in ODI for the first time

Don't say that NZ's small boundaries in the 1990's didn't arguably do anything good for the game :ph34r:

Last edited:

Burgey

The miracle was that Tendulkar agreed to move from number four in the order.

akilana

International 12th Man

AB would smash them all.

trundler

AB vs Garner would be ****ing awesome to watch.

^Typing that makes my keyboard all sticky.