• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rangana Herath vs Bishan Singh Bedi

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Should have to be a genuine leftie to make the team IMO. Gilchrist & Lara at least are righties who cheat by batting lefty. Probably a couple of the others too.
Most of Durham do that for some odd reason, including Ben Stokes. They bowl right-handed and bat lefty.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The late Peter Roebuck was of the view that right handlers should be coached from a young age to bat left handed as it means their top hand is dominant.

TheJediBrah

Most of Durham do that for some odd reason, including Ben Stokes. They bowl right-handed and bat lefty.
Yeah it's not nothing new. Most left-handed batsmen at the top level are actually right-handers. First noticed it following Australia when I was growing up, but by then it was too late for me to change. The only one that was an actual leftie was Darren Lehmann. Oh and Bevan.

Langer, Hayden, Hussey, Gilchrist are all right-handers. Mark Taylor was too, though before my time. Michael Clarke was the opposite, a lefty who batted righty.

There's been a few articles written about the advantages it might offer to have your dominant hand as the top hand as a batsman. If I have kids getting into cricket that's how I'm teaching them for sure.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea it goes both ways - a lot of right handed batsmen are actually lefties too. Tendulkar, for instance, writes and plays table tennis with his left hand

TheJediBrah

I don't know about Tendulkar, he always threw and bowled right-handed. If he did those other things left-handed it was probably more of a quirk, but pretty sure he's predominantly right-handed.

Or maybe he's just ambidextrous.

cnerd123

likes this
I think the story is that he's predominantly a lefty who just learned to play cricket right-handed growing up.

Imagine how good he would have been if he had played with his actual dominant hand. What a legend.

TheJediBrah

I think the story is that he's predominantly a lefty who just learned to play cricket right-handed growing up.

Imagine how good he would have been if he had played with his actual dominant hand. What a legend.
eh maybe, I'm sceptical though. If he was predominantly left-handed you'd think he would have thrown left handed once in a while.

cnerd123

likes this
eh maybe, I'm sceptical though. If he was predominantly left-handed you'd think he would have thrown left handed once in a while.
He brought himself down to the level of mere mortals and spared everyone of witnessing his full gifts.

Can you imagine how crazy the fans would have gotten if he actually showed off his prowess as a lefty too? He'd be a literal diety. A literal God with his own religious book. But Sachin is a wise man, and a humble man, and he made sure it never got that bad.

Lesser individuals show off their ambidexterity at every chance they get. Its why Sachin is so great.

TheJediBrah

He brought himself down to the level of mere mortals and spared everyone of witnessing his full gifts.

Can you imagine how crazy the fans would have gotten if he actually showed off his prowess as a lefty too? He'd be a literal diety. A literal God with his own religious book. But Sachin is a wise man, and a humble man, and he made sure it never got that bad.

Lesser individuals show off their ambidexterity at every chance they get. Its why Sachin is so great.
That and the pressure

Burgey

Yep. Imagine the pressure of being Tendulkar and left handed. Wise move on his part.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea it goes both ways - a lot of right handed batsmen are actually lefties too. Tendulkar, for instance, writes and plays table tennis with his left hand
I think Wasim Akram's a bowls left, bats left, writes right as well.

trundler

I didn't pay close attention. Mislead by the title. :laugh: I should know they don't because I am one