• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rangana Herath vs Bishan Singh Bedi

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most bowlers had a higher SR back then (ergo making their SR just normal I suppose) like Sobers, Davidson etc so I think Underwood's average if adjusted would go up and SR down but the difference in SR is quite stark so I think Herath would still have the lead there.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Lefties XI

Bill Lawry
Brian Lara
Kumar Kangakkara
Graeme Pollock
Garry Sobers
Allan Border
Adam Gilchrist
Alan Davidson
Wasim Akram
Mitch Johnson
Rangan Herath
Could even go a second XI, I'm in the mood.

Arthur Morris
Graeme Smith
Clem Hill
David Gower
Andy Flower
Mike Hussey
Shakib Al Hasan
Chaminda Vaas
Mitchell Starc
Bishen Bedi
Bill Johnston

trundler

The lack of quality left arm quicks is depressing. It's really just Akram and Davidson. The former tailed off quite badly and the latter had his career cut short by injury. Shame.

trundler

Could even go a second XI, I'm in the mood.

Arthur Morris
Graeme Smith
Clem Hill
David Gower
Andy Flower
Mike Hussey
Shakib Al Hasan
Chaminda Vaas
Mitchell Starc
Bishen Bedi
Bill Johnston
This makes for an interesting debate. Shakib vs Sobers?....

trundler

Lara opening is a weird choice. Why not just have Graeme Smith or Arthur Morris? (Not going to suggest Matthew Hayden because of your intense dislike for him) The middle order then becomes tough to choose then, admittedly

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The lack of quality left arm quicks is depressing. It's really just Akram and Davidson. The former tailed off quite badly and the latter had his career cut short by injury. Shame.
Bill Johnston says hi with an average of 23.91

trundler

I was referring to the standout ATGs. I don't know much about Bill. No ten-for tho.

smash84

The Tiger King
Did Akram tail off too badly though? don't remember much and cbf checking on statsguru. He did have a 19 year career though which is quite long for a fast bowler.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Depends on how you look at it. As a test bowler, yes. Had 300 Test wickets in 1996. Finished Test career in 2001 with 414. Pakistan focus more on ODIs so playing over 350 ODIs cost his Test career. 88-96 was his peak.

trundler

That's a fall off a cliff, if there's been one. As BW said, Pakistan played a lot of ODIs and not enough tests. His last few years when he got diabetic really ruined his stats.

Himannv

International Coach
I felt Bedi came across as a bowler who slightly overrated himself and didn't put in quite as much effort as he could have. I think Herath is probably a better bowler than him all things considered.

I'm not convinced Herath and Bedi are better than Derek Underwood though. That guy was a lot better than people give him credit for IMO. Watched a fair number of reruns where he played and he always attacked the stumps and was an exceptionally accurate bowler. He seemed reasonably fast as well for a spinner and didn't seem to bowl anything loose at all. He was definitely more dangerous on wet wickets, but I don't think he was particularly easy to play on dry ones either.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Lara opening is a weird choice. Why not just have Graeme Smith or Arthur Morris? (Not going to suggest Matthew Hayden because of your intense dislike for him) The middle order then becomes tough to choose then, admittedly
I couldnt fit everyone in that first XI unless Lara opened. And I didnt want to leave any of them out.