• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers tribute thread

cnerd123

likes this
North Eastern (NY etc) has a strong Jewish influence to the cuisine. And you're right, different ingredient availability and culture clashes has shaped USA to rather different in its cuisine pending the region.
... in truth we also have a lot of Portuguese, German and Dutch influence. Along with a fair Indian influence. If very watered down.
Now this is interesting

Both of you, elaborate please.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I thought that corned beef was a creation of the Irish...

According to google and wikipedia and the source below, the Jewish salted brisket is so similar to corned beef, the Irish bought it as corned beef.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/is-corned-beef-really-irish-2839144/

The Irish immigrants almost solely bought their meat from kosher butchers. And what we think of today as Irish corned beef is actually Jewish corned beef thrown into a pot with cabbage and potatoes. The Jewish population in New York City at the time were relatively new immigrants from Eastern and Central Europe. The corned beef they made was from brisket, a kosher cut of meat from the front of the cow. Since brisket is a tougher cut, the salting and cooking processes transformed the meat into the extremely tender, flavorful corned beef we know of today.
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/is-corned-beef-really-irish-2839144/#YLBpbVRU83QlwLuf.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
*****, I am by no means a "foodie" like yourself, (I don't like cooking and I don't watch many cooking shows by choice) but I am a scholar of humanities. Anthropology, history, sociology, politics, even economics et al all interest me deeply. And we all have to eat.

But I do like food. And I have experienced some great cooking. And hope to experience more.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Maine - lobster (available locally)

NY - corned beef (Jews dont eat pork)

Cali and Texas (Mexian migration)

Its pretty simple.
Lobster I'll give you.

Mexican food is Mexican, I don't think having an American twist on it makes it an American thing. Its like Italian-American in that's its a fusion of two cultures

I'd say the same for American-Jewish cuisine too

Southern cuisine seems to be its own unique thing tho

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There are a couple of shots I will never, ever forget. Viv's last ball six in 1979 WC final and De Villiers moving away from the stumps, planting his front leg forward and hitting the bowl over the 'keeper. .

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Lobster I'll give you.

Mexican food is Mexican, I don't think having an American twist on it makes it an American thing. Its like Italian-American in that's its a fusion of two cultures

I'd say the same for American-Jewish cuisine too

Southern cuisine seems to be its own unique thing tho

You're totally wrong on East Coast Jewish food - you won't find it in Israel. Its unique based on circumstance of migration. They took germanic pork dishes popular with yanks and made similar things with beef and lamb that the irish and italians bought from them. Jews made bagels popular in USA, from USA, Israel adopted it later. Try finding a knish in Israel. USA Jewish food is its own thing.

As for Cal-Mex - that's more debatable - but its not like true Mexican food I would imagine. Deep fried burritos? (Chimichunga) That's gringo.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of the great entertainers and a proper freak. He’ll be missed by Cricket fans everywhere.

Much is made of all ABdV’s junior prowess across a variety of sports including tennis, athletics, hockey and football; but a number of his achievements are less well known.

He won his first Nobel Prize, for physics, as a nine week old foetus, before his autobiography - released at age eight - won the Pulitzer and earned him his second Nobel, this time in literature. At the age of 14 he fixed the hole in the ozone layer before reversing climate change at his 21st birthday party.

Single handedly responsible for a three-fold increase in South African economic growth, de Villiers earned his Masters in Economics at 12.

When ABdV defeated Klitschko to win the world heavyweight title, as a two year old, he became the youngest champion in history, before a record string of 18 NBA titles and seven golfing grand slams saw him focus on Cricket; principally because he had done everything else.

Athlai

Not Terrible
one of the great entertainers and a proper freak. He’ll be missed by cricket fans everywhere.

Much is made of all abdv’s junior prowess across a variety of sports including tennis, athletics, hockey and football; but a number of his achievements are less well known.

He won his first nobel prize, for physics, as a nine week old foetus, before his autobiography - released at age eight - won the pulitzer and earned him his second nobel, this time in literature. At the age of 14 he fixed the hole in the ozone layer before reversing climate change at his 21st birthday party.

Single handedly responsible for a three-fold increase in south african economic growth, de villiers earned his masters in economics at 12.

When abdv defeated klitschko to win the world heavyweight title, as a two year old, he became the youngest champion in history, before a record string of 18 nba titles and seven golfing grand slams saw him focus on cricket; principally because he had done everything else.
totab

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah, AB. We'll miss you mate. Not many people can make the sport of cricket look as easy as you do!