• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers retires from international cricket

Dendarii

International Debutant

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
dude should have been forced to quit when he made his own app

at least he completely broke the brains of australia's captain and vice captain on the way out

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Another Kolpak for an English county, throwing in some pyjama franchise stuff out-of-season, or just the latter? We'll see I suppose.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Well that came out of nowhere... expected him to at least play for the WC next year.

And he has been in fantastic form since returning as well...

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:(

Incredible cricketer, top 5 ODI batsman of all time and an ATVG Test cricketer too.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
.... and I note that CSA did not seem to have a media statement in place, so everybody including Gibson may be blindsided by this.

S.Kennedy

Yes, following next year's world cup would have been more logical if you were going to do it?

theegyptian

smart move - get out before SA flunk at another WC.

Honestly I've got no idea what he's doing. Wait another year and play the 50 over WC surely? Give up test and int t20 if you want.

SeamUp

International Coach
He was contracted so it seemed like he was all set.

But this is obviously after a long IPL stint and the drain it takes on the family.

Pity he couldn't go out for us to say goodbye but what a massive loss to the game of international cricket.

You at peace with not winning a world cup. An interview as soon as he got to India with an English newspaper said as much.

Thanks Abraham Benjamin De Villiers ie The Only South African in the top 100 popular sportsmen world wide.

Says he will continue to be available for the Titans though.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
He was contracted so it seemed like he was all set.

But this is obviously after a long IPL stint and the drain it takes on the family.

Pity he couldn't go out for us to say goodbye but what a massive loss to the game of international cricket.

You at peace with not winning a world cup. An interview as soon as he got to India with an English newspaper said as much.

Thanks Abraham Benjamin De Villiers ie The Only South African in the top 100 international sportsmen world wide.

Says he will continue to be available for the Titans though.
This feels a very personal decision... just wants to be home with family.

SeamUp

International Coach
This feels a very personal decision... just wants to be home with family.
Retirements are getting earlier and earlier due to all the money around.

When you have the money then you feel you're just missing out on more family time I guess. Been following him on instagram and it just feels like a drain on him now ie airports and stuff.

WC and out for Faf then I imagine as he also has a young family and is a passionate father and husband

SeamUp

International Coach
Amla too I reckon.
Hash just loves playing cricket I reckon :laugh:

I honestly am surprised he played County Cricket and also think Carribean Premier League have him signed up.

But yes, I think he will be the same.

JP may try and continue with limited overs but I think Steyn is the only definitely to continue after the WC imo