• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers retires from international cricket

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I have four observations:
1. During an interview with Nasser Hussain, AB was asked what is the one thing he wants to achieve as a player. He promptly said 'Winning a World Cup is a long-cherished dream.'
2. After Champions Trophy, during the press conference he was asked 'Will you play the World Cup?' He looked very surprised by the question, laughed and said 'Absolutely'.
3. In the same interview someone asked 'Why do you still want to remain the captain?' AB replied 'Because I am a good captain. And I can take this team forward. I can take us to win a World Cup.' A few days later he was sacked from captaincy and Faf was declared the new captain for SA.
4. One particular sentence during today's retirement announcement seemed interesting to me 'It would not be right for me to pick and choose where and when and in what format I play for the Proteas.'

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First time I've heard someone accusing someone of being slightly chubby as being racist, but hey, it's 2018 and the sky's the limit on PC
It's because in Ethiopia, the stomachs bloat from emaciation, and somehow that's funny because Philander in contrast is a disgusting slob.

It turns out racism runs deeper than we ever suspected. This forum is compromised.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This is where I wish AB was Pakistani and you expect an about turn in a few weeks after a meeting with coach/manager/board chairman (whoever the fight was with)

Borges

International Regular
If we just say AB, every one would assume that we are referring to the real McCoy: AB de Villiers.

There used to be another cricket player, by now largely forgotten, with the same initials: Allan Border.
To clarify that we are referring to this obscure AB, we add the prefix TOT (TOT is a commonly used acronym on internet forums: it stands for 'Terribly Off Topic') .
Ergo, TOTAB. In the pre-internet days, to allude to Allan Border, we would have said 'the lesser AB' instead of using the somewhat rude epithet 'terribly off topic AB'

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Indian sense of humour on display once again, ladies and gentlemen.

The subject of nicknames and the etiquette surrounding them has been laid to rest once and for all following my definitive thread on the subject which was posted on 30 September 2016. Given you joined the forum years before the thread, I am disappointed you didn't read the thread and take note of its lessons before making your post.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Bad for world cricket. Absolutely. Good for franchise cricket? Maybe.

Best for AB de Villiers? You'd have to assume so.

I'm not going to pretend I know his reasons but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't largely political motivation behind it. Good on him for staying as long as he did. If I was a white person playing for South Africa I would have ****ed off long ago, but then I'm a **** and ABdV seems like a pretty nice guy.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Bad for world cricket. Absolutely. Good for franchise cricket? Maybe.

Best for AB de Villiers? You'd have to assume so.

I'm not going to pretend I know his reasons but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't largely political motivation behind it. Good on him for staying as long as he did. If I was a white person playing for South Africa I would have ****ed off long ago, but then I'm a **** and ABdV seems like a pretty nice guy.

Political? It is family and franchise money. He doesn't have to go on tour with the national team endlessly anymore (overseas or at home going through the various cities and states), when he can spend every second game with them at home with him in franchise cricket (wherever played),

His CSA contract is peanuts to his IPL earnings. Why upset his wife and kid so much by never being there when the money isn't making much of a difference? Unlike many great cricketers, he didn't care about records. He made that clear when he first stood down from tests.

He wants money and more time with his family. The IPL gives him money, the hundred will probably give him money.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
De Villiers hopes to continue playing for the Titans in South Africa and the Guardian understands he is looking to see out the remaining two years of his Indian Premier League deal with Royal Challengers, where his £1.4m salary per season is reportedly worth seven times his international retainer.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ement-from-international-cricket-south-africa

Where is the incentive for a family man to play international cricket and endlessly living in hotels, for 10 more months of the years, to earn 1/7th of what he earns in less than 2 months.

cnerd123

likes this
Were CSA putting pressure on him to be available for all 3 formats? Like, if he said he wanted to pick and choose which games he played, get time off for family, etc, would they have allowed him that freedom?

If they were willing to give him that, then yea pretty surprising he's decided to retire.

Burgey

He might have just had enough of it all. He took that break then came back and excelled. Probably realised he just wasn’t that into it any more.

cnerd123

likes this
You probably can't bat the way ABDV does unless you are absolutely enjoying your cricket. And once he felt that enjoyment waning, he probably didn't want to knuckle down and grind through and be a 'professional' as most other cricketers would. He had his money, he has his family, he's already accomplished a lot.

Possibly the burden of expectations and the weight of seniority was just something ABDV didn't want to deal with. Hence the tired comment. It wasn't fun for him anymore, and so he's given it up.

Pretty sad tbh, but can't fault the guy. His batting is an art form, what good is it being an artist without inspiration or desire.

TheJediBrah

Political? It is family and franchise money. He doesn't have to go on tour with the national team endlessly anymore (overseas or at home going through the various cities and states), when he can spend every second game with them at home with him in franchise cricket (wherever played),

His CSA contract is peanuts to his IPL earnings. Why upset his wife and kid so much by never being there when the money isn't making much of a difference? Unlike many great cricketers, he didn't care about records. He made that clear when he first stood down from tests.

He wants money and more time with his family. The IPL gives him money, the hundred will probably give him money.
You're very naïve

Of course he's not going to come out and say "I don't want to play for or live in South Africa anymore because the place sucks and my people are discriminated against"

cnerd123

likes this
You're very naïve

Of course he's not going to come out and say "I don't want to play for or live in South Africa anymore because the place sucks and my people are discriminated against"
Plus all they eat there is grilled meat and curries

I'll stop now I promise

Mr Miyagi

Banned
You probably can't bat the way ABDV does unless you are absolutely enjoying your cricket. And once he felt that enjoyment waning, he probably didn't want to knuckle down and grind through and be a 'professional' as most other cricketers would. He had his money, he has his family, he's already accomplished a lot.

Possibly the burden of expectations and the weight of seniority was just something ABDV didn't want to deal with. Hence the tired comment. It wasn't fun for him anymore, and so he's given it up.

Pretty sad tbh, but can't fault the guy. His batting is an art form, what good is it being an artist without inspiration or desire.
Bit oversimplified, when in a relationship, or having a family, there is give and take, while many sportsmen nevertheless put their careers and career goals first, not all do when it finally comes to retirement and availability.

What we can agree on, is that the financial security of the domestic leagues to non Big3 cricketers including Kolpak is seeing a real change in how players embrace this give and take with early international retirements.