• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers retires from international cricket

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The whole "I'm tired" bit he shoved into the video was so jarring for a retirement statement. Used to them now being long-winded and full of men crying and journalists sh*tting themselves.

Heboric

International Debutant
Aw man actually quite bummed. I thought he said he was refreshed and everything.

Did his stint with Kohli suddenly drain him again :ph34r:

Man he will be missed

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shame. Still thought he was yet to reach his full test potential and was hoping he'd get 10,000 but alas. Great entertainer though, probably the best in a while and the best in ODIs.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Nah he's just itching to join half the professional cricketers in the world at Northern Districts for this Plunket Shield season.
Noone from Africa will ever replace ND's greatest Graeme Hick.

But a high quality substitute if ever there was.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Nah he's just itching to join half the professional cricketers in the world at Northern Districts for this Plunket Shield season.
If he plays in the Titans team with all the internationals back... then they would probably give the Northern Districts a run for their money...

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
As I said, winning the world cup would be something to aim bowing out on a la Imran Khan, unless he is truly realistically that South Africa will screw it all up in a comical manner?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
"I have no plans to play overseas, in fact, I hope I can continue to be available for the Titans in domestic cricket. I will continue to be the biggest supporter of Faf du Plessis and the Proteas." So no IPL then?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
"I have no plans to play overseas, in fact, I hope I can continue to be available for the Titans in domestic cricket. I will continue to be the biggest supporter of Faf du Plessis and the Proteas." So no IPL then?
He will play IPL... to much money, for comparably so little work. I just don't see him darting around the world from T20 to T20 tournament or doing County work,

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kohli is 100% responsible for this. Strategic genius. Playing Go when Ashwin's playing chess.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Just sounds like he is sick of playing overseas, which would rule out an English county thing also. Still, he likes the money does AB so I bet we'll see a volte-face.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder what this is costing him in endorsements, because normally a requirement to be playing international cricket?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
He will play IPL... to much money, for comparably so little work. I just don't see him darting around the world from T20 to T20 tournament or doing County work,
That's what I expect but then why would he specifically choose the words "i have no plans to play overseas'. Would have expected him to remain quiet on that one and then quietly play next year when the world had moved on.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
That's what I expect but then why would he specifically choose the words "i have no plans to play overseas'. Would have expected him to remain quiet on that one and then quietly play next year when the world had moved on.
That probably has more to do with the continous speculation regarding Kolpak etc... nobody is to bothered regarding IPL, but loss of players like Abbott, Rossouw etc to county is a sore point.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Steyn and Philander don't have families (at least not yet), so that reason reason for retirement doesn't exist for them. In which case it could be down to fitness.
TBH, Philander looks like he's been pregnant for years so when is it due?

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Just sounds like he is sick of playing overseas, which would rule out an English county thing also. Still, he likes the money does AB so I bet we'll see a volte-face.

Not when every second game is at a home ground with his wife and kids at home with him in England. Touring is much different to county.

SA summer, English winter with IPL - will still be sleeping with his wife a heck of a lot more than an intl touring cricketer.

smash84

The Tiger King
that was out of the blue. Expected him to play until the WC. Heck, still want to believe that he will do an about face and return to play the world cup for South Africa. And maybe, just maybe win it this time?