• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers retires from international cricket

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Retirements are getting earlier and earlier due to all the money around.

When you have the money then you feel you're just missing out on more family time I guess. Been following him on instagram and it just feels like a drain on him now ie airports and stuff.

WC and out for Faf then I imagine as he also has a young family and is a passionate father and husband
I mean he must be close to set for life... can do a 6 week stint in India for a few more years and get paid enough to last him. Does not need to do anything else. If he plays for the Titans, will show he still enjoys playing just not away from home.

Probably Amla too.
Faf, Amla... makes me worried about Steyn, even though he still seems eager. Philander? Does he have a need to play for RSA or would a few county stints be better for him, not like lots of big series are upcoming.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Must have a Kolpak deal lined up.
I just don't think this is the case unless his entire family come with him... he earns enough from RSA to easily compete with most counties. He is probably guaranteed an IPL contract for the next 3 years.... 6 weeks of work, to then spend rest of year with family; wish I could do that.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Faf, Amla... makes me worried about Steyn, even though he still seems eager. Philander? Does he have a need to play for RSA or would a few county stints be better for him, not like lots of big series are upcoming.
Steyn and Philander don't have families (at least not yet), so that reason reason for retirement doesn't exist for them. In which case it could be down to fitness.

SeamUp

International Coach
Steyn and Philander don't have families (at least not yet), so that reason reason for retirement doesn't exist for them. In which case it could be down to fitness.
Vern just recently married and the dawg will be getting busy :D

Talking about these two I saw they were both bowling together at the indoor nets this morning.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Well that came out of nowhere... expected him to at least play for the WC next year.

And he has been in fantastic form since returning as well...
You and I had discussed this in the South Africa thread some time back. Expected him to announce Test retirement after the Test series and continue to play ODI till the World Cup.
The video doesn't say a lot and expect more to come out over time.

SeamUp

International Coach
At least he went out in a big test series. How it all started for him.

It is what makes a player.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It is just a surprise to come back like he did, be in fantastic form and now fully retire unexpectedly.... even if he retired from Test cricket I could understand, but outright retirement is a shock.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Huge blow. Came out of the blue too, thought he'd last until the World Cup at least.

Will be missed. One of cricket's rare talents.