• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers retires from international cricket

Victor Ian

International Coach
And he is out. Im going purely on StephenZAs account here, but he never seems to spruke crap. The problem seems to be media leaks and headlines. Even for the last WC it seemed as if DeVilliers made his offer behind closed doors and some other **** released it to the world for headlines. We accept mental illness as a reason for not playing. We accept injuries. Why dont we accept financial woes, caused by an inability to pay him what he is worth, or taking a stand against political foibles?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
AB is retired and wants to come back for one tournament on his 'terms'. Seems different to me anyway

Victor Ian

International Coach
Conjecture here, but he might be retired to earn the money his skillset deserves on the open market. I think that is perfectly reasonable.

Country proud is the cherry on top of your cake of money. If Australia paid Smith what SA pays DeVilliers we might see him retire too.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Conjecture here, but he might be retired to earn the money his skillset deserves on the open market. I think that is perfectly reasonable.

Country proud is the cherry on top of your cake of money. If Australia paid Smith what SA pays DeVilliers we might see him retire too.
Been in the IPL for 10 years. Can't be short on cash

But anyway, Yeah he can do what he wants. The chat about him returning on in his 'terms' is the most annoying part. Just wants some more attention

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
He is 35 now so coming back for the t20 world cup does make sense this year as I refuse to believe their is 6 better batsman from that nation to choose from.

When it comes to ODI cricket,,,he is not making the 2023 world cup squad,,so may as well slowly but surely build in that format without him.