• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka Tour of West Indies 2018

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
May 30, Wed - Jun 01, Fri
TBC vs Sri Lanka
3-day warm-up match
Brian Lara Stadium, Tarouba, Trinidad
02:00 PM GMT / 10:00 AM LOCAL

Jun 06, Wed - Jun 10, Sun
1st Test
Queen's Park Oval, Port of Spain, Trinidad

Jun 14, Thu - Jun 18, Mon
2nd Test
Darren Sammy National Cricket Stadium, Gros Islet, St Lucia

Jun 23, Sat - Jun 27, Wed
3rd Test

Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados
06:00 PM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL

Last edited:

harsh.ag

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...al-troubles/story-njmEhQX81WTQX6C446Ld2H.html

Sri Lanka’s tour to West Indies is less than a week away and yet, the players of the sub-continent nation are yet to know if they’re heading to play a Test or an ODI series or both. Gone are the days when almost the same squad would be carried across different formats and hence, players too are yet to gain clarity on if they’re touring the Caribbean islands.

Sri Lanka are due to play three Tests with West Indies with speculations being that the third Test might be scrapped and an ODI series be slotted in to help the hosts gain financially.

Ashley de Silva, the CEO of Sri Lanka Cricket, however stated that the tour’s not under threat owing to the financial instability of the West Indian board. “The most likely scenario is that we might reduce one of the Tests and convert that into the ODI series. They are looking at some of the alternatives,” de Silva told Cricbuzz. “We should know within the next 48 hours what exactly is happening. Converting a Test match into an ODI series will financially benefit the hosts. We are waiting to hear from West Indies to get a clear idea.”

Sri Lanka were scheduled to play a tour match at the Brian Lara Stadium in Trinidad on May 30 before playing three Tests at Port of Spain, Gros Islet in St.Lucia and Bridgetown, Barbados.

According to a report on Cricbuzz, WICB have urged International Cricket Council for a financial bailout. “Even we have done that in the past. What usually happens is that the ICC gives away some money and then reduces from what is owed to the board for participation in ICC events. If the ICC bailout happens, we could even see all three Tests taking place,” Cricbuzz quoted an official as saying.

However, ESPNCricinfo claimed that the West Indies board had gone a step further to request Sri Lanka share a part of the total costs for hosting the series. “CWI are experiencing a really challenging financial year as they only have home series scheduled against us and Bangladesh,” ESPNCricinfo quoted Ashley de Silva as saying. “They have been talking to us about sharing the costs of the tour and at this stage they haven’t given us any indication that the tour might get postponed altogether.”
Just sad.

Starfighter

And of course the West Indies' financial troubles have nothing to do with decades of corrupt mismanagement. They definitely need a bailout.
The same old story again and again.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
So Devon Smith has been recalled to the WI test team again. Absolutely dreadful decision imo, he has had ample opportunity in the past and has consistently been found wanting.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's really terrible news for him and for the SL cricket community as a whole.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
There's also been a very sad development in the SL camp, Dananjaya de Silva's father was shot dead the other night, so Dananjaya isn't touring.

Dhananjaya de Silva withdraws from West Indies tour after father killed by gunman - ESPNcricinfo
I'm really sorry to hear this. That's terrible.

So Devon Smith has been recalled to the WI test team again. Absolutely dreadful decision imo, he has had ample opportunity in the past and has consistently been found wanting.
Most boring squad announcement ever. We had outstanding A team performances from Keemo Paul, Rakheem Cornwall and Jamal Warrican yet the only one who gets picked is Jahmar Hamilton who also averaged 16 in the FC season. In regards to Devon, he earned his call up, none of the youngsters made any runs at all to force their hand and Devon completely owned the FC season. Normally I wouldn't like it but I don't see what alternative they had. They are also trying to show that outstanding FC performances will be rewarded (but yet they won't pick Cornwall or Paul?).

I guess the team will be:

Braithwaite
Smith
Hetmeyer
Hope
Chase
Powell/Hamilton
Dowrich
Holder
Bishoo
Roach
Gabriel

The test team (minus the NZ tour) has been really improving so I hope they continue that trend. It would be nice to see them invest in youngsters like Cornwall and Paul though, that's my biggest gripe.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Cornwall gone on a diet yet?
YEah. He's still big but has lost a lot of weight. They sent him to America and he has a nutritionist etc. He bowls more overs than most in every game he plays so at the least his cricket fitness is up to the mark.

Sad that WICB and Darren Bravo couldn't work it out.

Bravo, Hope and Chase would have been a formidable 3-5
Yep. In fairness to the WICB they tried selecting him but I think the damage was done. Darren Bravo doesn't trust them and so is taking contracts from others as and when they come, just like his brother. David Cameron messed up massively in the first place but now it's Darren that is stopping progress.

Firebreaker

Banned
Dhananjaya pulled out of series after his dad was killed who was a politician. If he was a Pakistani, There would have been questions at his selection rather than mourning the dead soul

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Most boring squad announcement ever. We had outstanding A team performances from Keemo Paul, Rakheem Cornwall and Jamal Warrican yet the only one who gets picked is Jahmar Hamilton who also averaged 16 in the FC season. In regards to Devon, he earned his call up, none of the youngsters made any runs at all to force their hand and Devon completely owned the FC season. Normally I wouldn't like it but I don't see what alternative they had. They are also trying to show that outstanding FC performances will be rewarded (but yet they won't pick Cornwall or Paul?).

I guess the team will be:

Braithwaite
Smith
Hetmeyer
Hope
Chase
Powell/Hamilton
Dowrich
Holder
Bishoo
Roach
Gabriel

The test team (minus the NZ tour) has been really improving so I hope they continue that trend. It would be nice to see them invest in youngsters like Cornwall and Paul though, that's my biggest gripe.
I am aware that Devon Smith had a prolific first class season, but all that tells me is that domestic cricket is in a seriously dire state. When someone has been consistently found out at a higher level, there comes a time to cut your losses and move on permanently, I feel like that point with Smith would have been 5 or 6 years ago. For the record I think Martin Guptill should not ever play tests again for exactly the same reason

Flem274*

123/5
What they need is financial incentive to play and a sense of unity again. It's no secret that every test team who has dragged themselves out of the doldrums has done it with a leader who makes a fresh, unscarred generation want to play and win for their country.