• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Northern Districts, the strongest FC team in the world

Mr Miyagi

Banned
And now Todd Astle too.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12022335

The migration of centrally contracted New Zealand cricketers to Northern Districts has continued with Todd Astle announcing that he too has signed to play for Northern Districts in 2018/19. This follows similar announcements from Neil Wagner and Colin de Grandhomme in the past few days. Todd is reported as saying that "I loved my time playing for Canterbury, but my wife is from Tauranga originally and I myself am from Palmerston North before moving to Christchurch as a kid. Now that I have the security of a New Zealand representative contract, my wife and I are looking at properties in Mount Maunganui, and playing for Northern Districts just made sense logistically".

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At this point the Northern Districts A attack would be stronger than the other 5 provinces combined.

Flem274*

123/5
This is just getting ridiculous.

I expect to wake up to discover Matt Henry, Tom Latham, Jeet Raval, Doug Bracewell, Colin Munro and Lockie Ferguson have also all moved to ND.

Meanwhile Ross Taylor lives in Hamilton but has his priorities straight and doesn't play for a team that got decent 5 minutes ago and now thinks its 00s Australia.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Come on now, it’s five world class test cricketers in Williamson, Boult, Southee, Watling and Wagner v Ross Taylor. Two days at best
Oh this is glorious. It really was that simple, bought property at the Mount and is now world class.

I was hoping to get into the Mount property scene at some stage in the next two years, looks like I'll be squeezed out by cricketers alone. Geezus christ.

Burgey

Where is Northen Districts?

FTR "to the north of Southern Districts" will not be accepted as an answer.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Where is Northen Districts?

FTR "to the north of Southern Districts" will not be accepted as an answer.

In all seriousness, NZ has no Southern Districts, that is filled by Otago and to the north of Otago, Canterbury. Your favourite tourist destination Queenstown is part of Otago, as is Dunedin. Christchurch is part of Dunedin.

Northern Districts is however to the north of Central Districts. Seriously.

NZ's only 2 city based provinces, Auckland is isolated within Northern Districts, and Wellington is isolated within Central Districts.

You may think I am being a smart arse. And I am. And yet I am being 100% accurate and descriptive.

Don't ask why people of Whangarei and Warkworth must drive past Auckland down to Hamilton or Tauranga to play for ND, they just do.

Or why the people of Nelson must ferry to Wellington and travel past it to play for CD - they just do.
Don't ask me why CD encompasses two island, it just does.

The rugby provinces are batter divided than the cricket ones for efficiency. But that is NZ's way. Cricket is just impractical compared to rugby in NZ. And globally for that matter.

Auckland and Wellington are good cities have outrageous property prices, (think Sydney East) which makes ND and CD viable alternatives. Otago is cheap but cold. Christchurch suffers earthquakes.

Hamilton and Tauranga within ND are going to boom for NZ in the next 50 years with warm climates, cheaper than Welly and Auckland property prices and getting the benefits of city living.

Hamilton is 1 hour drive from Auckland, the Mount/Tauranga less than 3 and a wonderful beach tourist mecca, much more beautiful than anything in Auckland.

Nelson and the Hawkes Bay is also beautiful and ridiculously cheap, but so far from city standard its not funny - even if they have vineyards, jazz concerts and beaches. Think Newcastle, but with beaches and without bogans.

Last edited:

Burgey

Wait, you’re saying these players actually want to move to Auckland? Fmd.

Flem274*

123/5
Erm ND and CD grow their own players.

The Aucklanders tend to go to the South Island, and Wellington hires exclusively from players not born in Wellington or often New Zealand.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Auckland and Wellington are good cities (????????!!!!!!!!!!! - horrendous traffic and wind respectively) have outrageous property prices, (think Sydney East) which makes ND and CD viable alternatives. Otago is cheap (Queenstown is the most expensive part of New Zealand, but has a fantastic climate. Dunedin is cheap and the weather isn't much better than Wellington's - but isn't as windy) but cold. Christchurch suffers earthquakes.

Nelson and the Hawkes Bay is also beautiful and ridiculously cheap (Nelson house prices are quite expensive), but so far from city standard its not funny - even if they have vineyards, jazz concerts and beaches. Think Newcastle, but with beaches and without bogans.
Some editing needed

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Well it is the closest thing to being a world city in New Zealand. Players want to move to Sydney, no?

While I totally agree with your sentiment, the exodus from Auckland of cricketers doesn't support your point. With equal work opportunities and pay nationwide, it makes sense to move to somewhere cheaper to live and less troublesome for a professional sportsman than a big city.

While most leave for the opportunity to play, many who were destined to be stars leave anyway. Be it Crowe, Greatbatch or Southee.

The likes of KW, Boult, Southee and co can go surfing at the Mount in relaxed carefree surroundings, whereas they would struggle to go shopping in Auckland without the selfie request squad in full force. So it depends on the personality of the individual somewhat.

And I'm also sure that their wives don't want them feeding too many children out of wedlock.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I live in Auckland - please don't tell me what is a good city, expensive or what is traffic. I have a fair idea already. And please don't act like snow is a fantastic climate. It is a fantastic holiday.
Sorry - it wasn't supposed to be a dig at you or at Auckland. I don't mind Auckland tbh. I guess to me clear frost winter days when it is a high of 8C are better than rainy days when it is 18 and I love the thought of not having insects in my house.