• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shakib Al Hasan vs Ian Botham / Burgey vs *****

Who the better all rounder

• Shakib Al Hasan

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Ian Botham

Votes: 27 56.3%

• Total voters

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Botham because Shakib skipped tour to South Africa and it tarnishes his career. (not srs)

also Botham would eat Shakib for breakfast, literally. He's a beast.

Shakib's not a complete *****tick
Isn't he? A lot of people say he is tbh

Didn't he run onto the field shirtless to argue with someone like last month? And destroy a changeroom or something?

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
With the bat Shakib averages 28 against Australia, 25 against Eng, 26 against India and 20 against SA.

He's a decent spinner, but I fail to see why he is rated highly as an all-rounder in a world context.

TheJediBrah

With the bat Shakib averages 28 against Australia, 25 against Eng, 26 against India and 20 against SA.

He's a decent spinner, but I fail to see why he is rated highly as an all-rounder in a world context.
That is actually genuinely eye-opening. Didn't realise that at all.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Whereas Botham averaged 29 v Aus, 21.4 vs WI and 13.66 v SL.

Shakib's weakness has been against India. While he averages only 28.75 with the bat against Australia, he was bowling at 22.5. Vs England 25.66 with the bat, bowling at 29.27. And he averages just 11 with the bat in SA, but bowls at 20.81.

But in 6 tests vs India so far, he really has done next to nothing.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that Shakib's dbl century in NZ is the only batsman to score a dbl in NZ vs Boult, Wagner and Southee as a trio. Not sure about overseas.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I mean even I have to say this is a ridiculous comparison.

All Botham ever did was bash around cheating Aussies who bet on themselves to lose. Shakib is literally the greatest ever cricketer his country has produced, and has single handedly made history on numerous occasions. It's not even close

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I mean even I have to say this is a ridiculous comparison.

All Botham ever did was bash around cheating Aussies who bet on themselves to lose. Shakib is literally the greatest ever cricketer his country has produced, and has single handedly made history on numerous occasions. It's not even close

Or the fact that it is close causes discomfort seeing Shakib is in a weaker team.

Fans of the weaker teams instinctively know how much harder it is for their team's few aces to maintain an excellent record, when there's less opportunity to downhill ski off the batsman having blunted the attack, or wickets falling at the other end to expose a new batsman to get out cheaply. Whereas Voges could downhill ski off the back of Warner and Smith, or Botham off Boycott, Gooch and Gower, so much more often it is all upto Shakib. Even the 1981 Botham test at Headingley, Willis finished it off.

Whereas Botham could rely on Willis and whoever else like Dilley et al, so often it is all upto Shakib to bowl to set batsman scoring runs so as to get the breakthrough.

This effects a player's averages. More bowling against set batsman scoring runs, and less easy runs when batting against a tiring attack in the field.

I think most of us know how critical Shakib is to the Bangladesh team for the last 10 years.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Whereas Botham averaged 29 v Aus, 21.4 vs WI and 13.66 v SL.

Shakib's weakness has been against India. While he averages only 28.75 with the bat against Australia, he was bowling at 22.5. Vs England 25.66 with the bat, bowling at 29.27. And he averages just 11 with the bat in SA, but bowls at 20.81.

But in 6 tests vs India so far, he really has done next to nothing.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that Shakib's dbl century in NZ is the only batsman to score a dbl in NZ vs Boult, Wagner and Southee as a trio. Not sure about overseas.
Doesn't really contradict Red Hill's post, that his batting has been lacking against major opponents. He wasn't disputing the bowling.

Also not sure if SL were particularly one of the best teams in Botham's day. Seems like you just picked them because he had a low average against them.

OverratedSanity

Doesn't really contradict Red Hill's post, that his batting has been lacking against major opponents. He wasn't disputing the bowling.

Also not sure if SL were particularly one of the best teams in Botham's day. Seems like you just picked them because he had a low average against them.
Still Botham's batting average of 29 and 21 against WI and Aus isn't exactly spectacular compared to Shakib's.

Mr Miyagi

Banned

What is a major opponent? I wasn't trying to contradict Red Hill, I was merely giving further information for people to chew on. But further given NZ is currently a top 4 side, and last month were top 3 ahead of Aus and Eng, I think Shakib's record against NZ is relevant. Pakistan were number 1 not long ago, so his batting record against them is relevant. And yeah, low averages happen from time to time given small sample sizes.

If you want to take it further, lets look at Beefy's batting record post Boycott and his bowling record post Willis ;)

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Guess they were both minnow bashers. Neither could compare with the might of Shane Watson

What is a major opponent? I wasn't trying to contradict Red Hill, I was merely giving further information for people to chew on. But further given NZ is currently a top 4 side, and last month were top 3 ahead of Aus and Eng, I think Shakib's record against NZ is relevant. Pakistan were number 1 not long ago, so his batting record against them is relevant. And yeah, low averages happen from time to time given small sample sizes.

If you want to take it further, lets look at Beefy's batting record post Boycott and his bowling record post Willis ;)
Yeah technically, but let's be honest here . . .