• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bill Lawry's graceful broadcasting exit

slippy888

International Captain
Bill Lawry, the former Australian captain and longtime commentator, has confirmed his retirement from cricket broadcasting after knocking back offers from the Seven and Fox Sports networks to cover the game after Channel Nine's loss of free-to-air television rights after 40 years.

Ultimately, it was the connection to Nine that stopped Lawry from going elsewhere to continue as a commentator, where even at the age of 81 he remained one of the most vibrant and compelling of the network's cricket callers. He leaves behind a legacy of joining Kerry Packer's World Series Cricket revolution, followed by years behind the microphone alongside the likes of Richie Benaud, Tony Greig and Ian Chappell, setting a standard of enthusiasm and showmanship that many have tried unsuccessfully to emulate.

"Yes I am [retiring]. I've had 40 great years at Channel Nine and been very lucky and I think the time's just right," Lawry told SEN Radio. "I think it's just been such a wonderful journey and I don't want to spoil a great journey. I've seen the best cricketers for the last 40 years, I've been through the Packer years, I've commentated with guys like Ian Healy and Mark Taylor and all the new boys and it's just been a wonderful journey I never really expected.

Bill Lawry's graceful broadcasting exit - ESPNcricinfo

He was very good commentator and very emotional at times

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Bill Lawry is all class. A true gentleman.

No one was better at commentating clutch and exciting moments of cricket, either. Always understood the situation of the game perfectly.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A proper end of an era moment; the last man heading back to the pavilion, if you will.

Feels especially bittersweet with Richie, Tony & Max Walker all now commentating in heaven.

smash84

The Tiger King
oh man, i loved Lawry. Feel sad on him retiring from commentating :(

End of a great innings from Lawry

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So sad that we won't be hearing his voice any more. The Benaud/Grieg/Lawry trio was a mighty one. We had the gentleman elder statesman, the fiery dissenting voice and they over - excited quirky character.

And who will champion pigeon fancying now that he's left?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Along with Chappell, the last of the voices of summer from my youth. Will miss him terribly.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah will miss Bill. Was as biased as anyone in the C9 comm box, but at the same time there was a sweetness to his commentary and an obvious affection for the game that made you forgive him for it. Wish him all the best for the years ahead.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah will miss Bill. Was as biased as anyone in the C9 comm box, but at the same time there was a sweetness to his commentary and an obvious affection for the game that made you forgive him for it. Wish him all the best for the years ahead.
Always thought of him as the commentator Ian Smith aspired to be.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Always thought of him as the commentator Ian Smith aspired to be.
I'm not sure on this. Bill noticeably rarely talked about players and games from his own era, whereas Ian Smith isn't shy from discussing the 1980's to 1992 with Hadlee and Martin Crowe in full focus at every single opportunity.

But I don't mind Smithy doing it, as he does it with such humility to his own abilities and role. The only self-proud moment he seems to have is when discussing his 173 odd vs India at Eden Park, which to be fair, was a great knock and still appears on the lists seeing he was batting at 9, and is often highlighted by fellow commentators.

But even Wright, Edgar, Jones, Coney, Chatfield are all lavished with praise. And he has not continued with the Bracewell vs Crowe, he doesn't seem to take a side in his commentary, even if he did at the time. And he even relishes in the players before that team, his childhood heroes.

Even FC battlers who only rare test shining moments are discussed in high praise likes Toup and Boock. There's a lot of romance to Smithy's commentary of the years and the players of varying degrees of skill gone by.
And in time - he will probably discuss Ross Taylor with the same lavish affection that Crowe and Hadlee receive. But Bill, besides talking about Sobers or a few Englishmen, doesn't really talk about the Australian greats of his own era or before him.

It is as though Smithy forces his way into the commentary box whenever someone is approaching a record, to give us a run down on some of the players on the records list and some anecdotes about them or their record.

And I think it is very good and long may it continue because many of the commentary team seem far less interested in the players of yester year.

But I do agree that like Bill, you can just tell Smithy is so happy with his lot in life of having played and commentated on cricket, even if they have little idea about current FC players. But I think most of the better commentators fall into this list of expressing gratitude for their fortunate careers to commentate.

Last edited:

Burgey

He's not as bad as Waddle (then again who could be?), but still has that typical Kiwi cricketing chip on his shoulder when he commentates.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
He's not as bad as Waddle (then again who could be?), but still has that typical Kiwi cricketing chip on his shoulder when he commentates.
So when Aussies sledge it is 'banter', and when Kiwis sledge it is 'a chip on the shoulder?'

It seems like only Aussies involved with cricket know where the line is ;)

But personally, I find Ian Smith highly enamoured to be in the presence of Border, Lawry and Chappell. Same with the likes of Gower, Bumble and Botham. You can tell he loves the opportunity of being around the big established names of Cricket. Ramiz Raja and Russell Arnold - not so much.

Last edited:

Burgey

I have literally no idea where you draw this comparison from. I'm saying Waddle and Smith (to a lesser extent) are whiny ****s when they commentate. What that has to do with sledging I genuinely don't know.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I have literally no idea where you draw this comparison from. I'm saying Waddle and Smith (to a lesser extent) are whiny ****s when they commentate. What that has to do with sledging I genuinely don't know.

Oh - so when Australian commentators complain it is journalism and when NZ commentators complain it is whining? Pretty sure Smithy was among the first to praise Australia on their test win in Aus and NZ in 2015/16 and freely concede the better team won. And yes, NZ blew up over the non-no ball wicket, and Smithy may have been upset over the Nathan Lyon non dismissal in Adelaide. They were huge talking points about the role of DRS and its virtue. The opposition could have been anyone.

I've honestly never thought of Waddle as whiney. He almost always seems upbeat and cheerful, even when NZ is getting tonked.

Last edited:

Burgey

No, when Australian commentators complain they sound like whiny dickheads too.