• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which English domestic performers will flock to Ireland?

Firebreaker

Banned
I think domestic performers like Hildreth and Northeast should look to move to Ireland as they are unlikely to get chance for England like Murtagh who was a talented bowler at his prime but got wasted and made his Test Debut at least 10 years later and still performed.

Firebreaker

Banned
They can continue to play County along with Irish Test teams like Murtagh, Rankin, McCarthy, Stirling etc

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The situation is that Irish players will have to choose whether to become effectively kolpackers for their counties, repudiating Irish duty, or Ireland internationals/county overseas. I believe there is an amnesty period covering the 2019 season.

The counties will also be wondering whether it is worthwhile wasting their one overseas berth on an Irish player?

Don't forget that a lot of these Irish internationals are now not playing for English counties but actually playing in Ireland's own first-class (three day) Inter-Provincial Championship: Ed Joyce, Kevin O'Brien, Balbirnie and George Dockrell play for Leinster whilst Nial O'Brien plays for Northwest.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For some reason I thought Irish cricketers would still be considered "home" players in England. Don't the Irish have full rights to live and work in England?

S.Kennedy

For some reason I thought Irish cricketers would still be considered "home" players in England. Don't the Irish have full rights to live and work in England?
Yes, they have Commonwealth rights, but presumably this is more to do with international qualification.

Spark

Global Moderator
That sweet solitary Test every 2 years sure is attractive
As opposed to 0 Tests ever, tbf. Presumably these would be people who probably feel they aren't in the pathway for England selection (which, given Loughborough and the Lions development programs, is probably blatantly obvious to everyone).

S.Kennedy

Quite a few second tier Aussies also. There are a lot of gingers down under.

Including this chap,
33a134256468c60811a23412328fab81.jpg

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As opposed to 0 Tests ever, tbf. Presumably these would be people who probably feel they aren't in the pathway for England selection (which, given Loughborough and the Lions development programs, is probably blatantly obvious to everyone).
Right but Ireland isn't a special new avenue for these players, per se. They could've gone and moved to the West Indies instead for example, this whole time.

I get that it's closer both culturally and geographically, and they have the CTA would could make it easier in some cases as well, but they'd still be looking at four years to qualify (unless they were already Irish in some way, which most aren't) earning much less than they are now just for the chance they make it. Players do regularly come from nowhere to play for England too, within a season or two.

cpr

International Coach
Right but Ireland isn't a special new avenue for these players, per se. They could've gone and moved to the West Indies instead for example, this whole time.

I get that it's closer both culturally and geographically, and they have the CTA would could make it easier in some cases as well, but they'd still be looking at four years to qualify (unless they were already Irish in some way, which most aren't) earning much less than they are now just for the chance they make it. Players do regularly come from nowhere to play for England too, within a season or two.

Might surprise you just how many may qualify as Irish if they want. Mass immigration post war + really lax citizenship rules means getting Irish nationality is a piece of piss. Any area's with Industrial towns will have a strong Irish showing in their players histories, Lancashire especially.

cpr

International Coach

Could actually become quite an issue, as many of the Irish team are from the North, and restricting their rights to work could bring a legal challenge (one that I dare say the players will win, after all they've got a stronger basis than Kolpak)

Firebreaker

Banned
NZ are now poaching Associate players like Rippon,Viljeon so I dont see many NZ players going to Ireland but I think many Zimbabwe players will go to Ireland. There are already few young Zimboks playing in Ireland.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Might surprise you just how many may qualify as Irish if they want. Mass immigration post war + really lax citizenship rules means getting Irish nationality is a piece of piss. Any area's with Industrial towns will have a strong Irish showing in their players histories, Lancashire especially.
Yeah, anyone with one Irish grandparent qualifies for an Irish passport. I think I remember reading or seeing somewhere there are about 6 million UK citizens (excluding those from the six counties) who potentially qualify.

That's roughly 1 in 10 of the population. Even if one allows that family background and socio-economic factors could mean second and third generation Irish are more drawn to a football code, it's statistically unlikely that Murtagh is the only county pro with green in his genes.

Plus both Oz & NZ have had sizeable Irish immigration too.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ are now poaching Associate players like Rippon,Viljeon so I dont see many NZ players going to Ireland but I think many Zimbabwe players will go to Ireland. There are already few young Zimboks playing in Ireland.
Man I wish for them to go.

The likes of Hamilton Masakadza opening with Tommy Latham. Mouthwatering.
Blessing Muzarabani sharing the new ball with Trent Boult in a test match.
/s

Firebreaker

Banned
Man I wish for them to go.

The likes of Hamilton Masakadza opening with Tommy Latham. Mouthwatering.
Blessing Muzarabani sharing the new ball with Trent Boult in a test match.
/s
Tbh Ireland and England only go for white Zimbabweans. I remember reading an article where a black Zimbabwean migrated to England for his cricketing career but his visa extension application was rejected even though he had a great record in club cricket whereas white Zimbabweans are allowed to live in UK due to their 'heritage'