• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which English domestic performers will flock to Ireland?

cpr

International Coach
Or because they are descendants of British people so qualify for a passport, the same way Brumby states many English would qualify for an Irish passport. So yeah, their heritage, i.e., their actual heritage, not racism.

Back on topic, noticed the Irish team had 10 proper paddies and only one plastic, a better ratio than England normally manage. One gets the feeling they are really looking to invest in the game at a national level and not go down the passport route like they used to do when they were just an associate.

Spark

Global Moderator
Right but Ireland isn't a special new avenue for these players, per se. They could've gone and moved to the West Indies instead for example, this whole time.

I get that it's closer both culturally and geographically, and they have the CTA would could make it easier in some cases as well, but they'd still be looking at four years to qualify (unless they were already Irish in some way, which most aren't) earning much less than they are now just for the chance they make it. Players do regularly come from nowhere to play for England too, within a season or two.
Sure, I'm not saying that literally everyone who isn't the English PONI-equivalent with an Irish great-grandparent will put their hand up for Irish selection. But clearly it'll be an attractive option for many; suddenly putting up a really strong county season and forcing your way into the England setup is basically by definition something you can't bank on.

brockley

International Captain
Rob Keogh and Mathew Dunn both on contracts got Irish links.Think Benny Duno mainly Big Bash has Irish ancestry.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watch now as Eoin Morgan spends the rest of his career refusing to sing the anthem while he could be helping Ireland.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Watch now as Eoin Morgan spends the rest of his career refusing to sing the anthem while he could be helping Ireland.
Ha. Eoin Morgan is captain of the No1 team in the world with a realistic chance of lifting a World Cup next year..........not sure he's got any regrets right now.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Jacking in your country to play for another one though, especially between countries as frosty among each other as England and Ireland historically? He has even played for England against Ireland on five occasions, i.e., contributing to his real nation's demise!!

I'm not sure I'd do it.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Jacking in your country to play for another one though, especially between countries as frosty among each other as England and Ireland historically? He has even played for England against Ireland on five occasions, i.e., contributing to his real nation's demise!!

I'm not sure I'd do it.
Do you think you could maintain such principled patriotic integrity and honorable moral sincerity if you had the opportunity to earn £1m a year playing for another nation or only about a tenth of that playing for your own?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
All the crap ones who can't get in the England team, which makes sense, as Ireland is basically the England B team in most other sports anyway.

S.Kennedy

Do you think you could maintain such principled patriotic integrity and honorable moral sincerity if you had the opportunity to earn £1m a year playing for another nation or only about a tenth of that playing for your own?
I suspect I would if I had a Middlesex salary. Also, 100,000 per year? That would do.

Never been much arsed about ''money for money's sakes'' (always took the view that as long as I have enough to live off, I'm alright).

TheSilverFox

Cricket Spectator
Yes, they have Commonwealth rights, but presumably this is more to do with international qualification.
Not correct. Ireland hasn't been in the "Commonwealth" since 1949 or so. Ireland and the UK has a special agreement with regard to work visas and other issues. However, this will change with Brexit, depending on what is agreed.

With regard to overseas contracts, the existing Irish players who have county contracts are considered home-based but this agreement is due to run out in 2019 I believe. I don't believe that Northern Irish UK passport holder players are exempt from this as the ECB rules relate to whether you are a player of a Test Playing Nation. However, as the team is an island team, similar to Rugby Union, this complicates everything.

cpr

International Coach
Yeah, its really gonna **** with the Good Friday Agreement if we suddenly start saying that N. Ire people who opt to play for Ireland as their right under the agreement suddenly lose the rights that any other British citizen has. That won't stand up in court under the current terms

TheSilverFox

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, its really gonna **** with the Good Friday Agreement if we suddenly start saying that N. Ire people who opt to play for Ireland as their right under the agreement suddenly lose the rights that any other British citizen has. That won't stand up in court under the current terms
I'm not sure what the Good Friday Agreement has to do with the issue of playing Rugby or Cricket for the island of Ireland? Qualification rules for these sports predate it.

Anyway, it's an issue for some players to consider and I'm sure they are aware of what their rights are, much more than most.

I'm sure the ECB has it all figured out.......tongue firmly in my cheek!

cpr

International Coach
Thats the exact reason why it applies. Qualification rules may pre-date it, but the law overrides that. GFA gives people of the north the equal right to be both British and Irish. For any profession to then deny these people equal right to work in the UK because they've exercised their GFA rights is going to have a damn hard time arguing that case before the high court. Its similar to how Kolpak players have the right to play for a county due to equal employment rights by being EU citizens, only this will still apply post-Brexit as these guys are still UK citizens. If the courts agreed that Kolpak players had that right, then I can't see them arguing N. Irish players don't

S.Kennedy

Not correct. Ireland hasn't been in the "Commonwealth" since 1949 or so. Ireland and the UK has a special agreement with regard to work visas and other issues. However, this will change with Brexit, depending on what is agreed.

With regard to overseas contracts, the existing Irish players who have county contracts are considered home-based but this agreement is due to run out in 2019 I believe. I don't believe that Northern Irish UK passport holder players are exempt from this as the ECB rules relate to whether you are a player of a Test Playing Nation. However, as the team is an island team, similar to Rugby Union, this complicates everything.
You missed what I said: I said commonwealth ''rights''. I'm aware they departed from the Commonwealth but alongside the British 1949 Act (which acknowledged Ireland's departure), citizens of the Republic would continue to be treated the same as those from the Commonwealth, e.g., embassy assistance.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's mainly going to be the guys it's attracted anyway - guys who are getting the odd game here or there in 1st XI County Cricket, but mainly in Academies or 2nd XI. Like Sean Terry who played a few games for them a year or two ago.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, anyone with one Irish grandparent qualifies for an Irish passport. I think I remember reading or seeing somewhere there are about 6 million UK citizens (excluding those from the six counties) who potentially qualify.

That's roughly 1 in 10 of the population. Even if one allows that family background and socio-economic factors could mean second and third generation Irish are more drawn to a football code, it's statistically unlikely that Murtagh is the only county pro with green in his genes.

Plus both Oz & NZ have had sizeable Irish immigration too.
If true that's also more than the population of the Republic.

Regardless, the notion that Hildreth or the like will suddenly give up on playing for England is spurious to say the least. I don't believe you would be a professional sportsman if you didn't believe you can get that far.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Regardless, the notion that Hildreth or the like will suddenly give up on playing for England is spurious to say the least. I don't believe you would be a professional sportsman if you didn't believe you can get that far.
Fair enough, but plenty of sportsmen do abandon hope of playing for their native country and utilise family connections to play for another. Brad Shields being one of the most recent examples.

Hildreth is an interesting example, actually. I've no idea if he has any connection to the Emerald Isle, but if he did at his age (33, I think), he might perhaps think the call from England isn't happening and decide to throw in his lot with Ireland in the hope of playing tests.

cpr

International Coach

Good travellers are the Irish, population of Ireland stays consistent despite each Irish person having on average 8 kids. There's always a call for a Murphys bar in every holiday town in Europe after all.

Of course, when they get abroad, they multiply. My grandparents on my mums side alone are responsible for approx 35 potential recruits to the Emerald cause if everyone took up the citizenship offer