• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pre-1970 vs post-1970 World XI??

Who would win the series?

• Total voters

Chrish

International Debutant
Covered vs uncovered era. Who would win the 5 test series? Era will be determined by the time period in which any given player played majority of his test career. You are free to select your own best Xi.

My pre-70 XI:

Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman (C)
Hammond
Sobers
Keith Miller
Godfrey Evans
Lindwall
Trueman
Larwood
Bill O'Reilly

Post-70 XI:

Gavaskar
Hayden
Viv Richrds
Tendulkar
Lara
Gilchrist
Imran Khan (C)
Shane Warne
Dale Steyn
Marshall
Mcgrath

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
if you changed it to pre and post 1950 and switched Sobers you might get a closer contest

steve132

U19 Debutant
I would definitely include Headley and Barnes in a pre-1970 team, probably in place of Miller and Larwood. And if Imran is the all-rounder for the post 70 squad, I would probably go for Murali in place of Steyn. Still, even as selected both teams are exceptionally strong.

Starfighter: What do you have against Lillee's selection?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Hayden's selection is problematic tstl. Would have Greenidge over him in a heart beat, likewise Boycott.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The post 1970 team has far better bowling depth, particularly in the place department. The pre 1970 team is the better batting side, though that is somewhat mitigated by Gilchrist.

The pre 1970 side would win a majority of tests because Bradman would be a match winner even amongst a team of match winners. But they post 1970 side would put up a hell of a fight. Bradman vs Marshall would be a thrilling contest. Warne vs Sobers would be incredible to watch. All of the matchups would be entertaining in their own right and worth the price of admission.

Burgey

Well according to a longstanding poster in the Ireland-Pakistan thread, you can't actually have match winning innings because you need to take wickets too.

I mean, it's probably the biggest single load of ****ful "analysis" of this or any other sport I've ever heard but there are those who subscribe to this theory. I recall when I first joined CW that Richard subscribed to this viewpoint as well. It's ****ing stupidity to the power of infinity.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I wouldn’t call him ****. Just not as great as those two imo.

It is a famous crowd sledge that Hayden was on the receiving end of that caused everyone regardless of team support to laugh as Hayden had just released a cooking book in the months preceding. According to Crash, even Hayden laughed.

Last edited:

Burgey

Tbf his cook books do seem pretty ****** from my POV, but I'm not much of a chef myself. It's like he's borrowed the Women's Weekly BBQ Cookbook or something.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman (c)
Hammond
Headley
Sobers
Miller
Evans (wk)
Trueman
Barnes
O'Reilly

B Richards
Gavaskar
Lara
Kallis
Tendulkar
V Richards (c)
Gilchrist (wk)
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
Muralitharan

I know Viv wasn't a 6, but imagine him batting with Gilchrist against tired bowlers!

Burgey

Playing two spinners anywhere but on a SC dustbowl is a recipe for a shambles. Especially against an XI which played against spinners regularly, and on uncovered decks at that. I'm sorry, but if you're going to leave McGrath out of a post-1970 XI you're cracking jokes. If he's not the greatest fast bowler of all time, he's in second place.

Borges

International Regular
if you're going to leave McGrath out of a post-1970 XI you're cracking jokes
If you're going to leave Steyn out of a post-1970 (or for that matter, any) eleven, you're cracking even bigger jokes.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Out of the post-1970 quicks, I believe there isn't much separating McGrath, Lillee, Marshall, Ambrose, Donald, Steyn, Wasim, Waqar & Hadlee. I'd rank them all as gold-tier.