• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Fourth Reich: Justin Langer Appointed Australian Head Coach

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
https://www.cricketaustralia.com.au/media/media-releases/justin-langer-appointed-as-new-australia-coach/2018-05-03

Cricket Australia (CA) has today announced Justin Langer as the new Bupa Support Team Head Coach of the Australian Men’s Cricket Team.

Langer will coach Australia in all three formats of the game and will commence in the role on 22 May, for a four-year term taking in two Ashes Series, a World Cup and World T20 tournament.

The 47-year-old enjoyed a decorated playing career, representing Australia in 105 Test matches and eight ODI matches.

In Test cricket, he scored more than 7,500 runs – including 23 centuries – and was an integral member of the Australian men’s team during one of the most successful eras of all time.

His playing career spanned almost 20 years, in which he played 360 first-class matches and scored more than 28,000 first class runs.
Details on how this is a culture change to come.

SeamUp

International Coach
Justin Langer - New Australian Cricket Head Coach

Welcome.

Discussion can commence.

cricketcomau? BREAKING: Justin Langer is the new head coach of the Australian Men's Cricket Team.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's good that we picked someone who responds well to adversity and doesn't act like a baby

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The 47-year-old enjoyed a decorated playing career, representing Australia in 105 Test matches and eight ODI matches.
Dunno why but this made me lol. Bit like winning Gold in an Olympic marathon but also going out in the first round of heats for the 100m dash.

TheJediBrah

Dunno why but this made me lol. Bit like winning Gold in an Olympic marathon but also going out in the first round of heats for the 100m dash.
Could have easily been the other way around depending on luck with selection timing. He was inches away from a spot in the ODI team pre-2003 world cup but was beaten out by Jimmy Maher who made a 100 in a warm-up game (and ran Langer out for 40 odd in the same innings . . .). Was lucky to get his Test spot back in 2001 too after Slats was dropped for disciplinary reasons, he may have never got back in otherwise.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Expect the Australian team to end up looking something like this

1. S Marsh
2. Philippe
3. Bosisto
4. M Marsh
5. Cartwright
6. Turner
7. Whiteman
8. Agar
9. NCN
10. Richardson
11. Behrendorff

Kelly/Mackin/Paris/some random plebs out of Perth grade cricket as seam bowling injury cover.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
He actually referred to Warner as a "really good young bloke". He turns 32 in October!

His quotes are insufferable but unexpected. Think it's a really bad appointment from a culture perspective which is more important at this point in time than actual performance, but time will tell.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Could have easily been the other way around depending on luck with selection timing. He was inches away from a spot in the ODI team pre-2003 world cup but was beaten out by Jimmy Maher who made a 100 in a warm-up game (and ran Langer out for 40 odd in the same innings . . .). Was lucky to get his Test spot back in 2001 too after Slats was dropped for disciplinary reasons, he may have never got back in otherwise.
There was a bit of a perception, though, that he was a bit too 'dour' for ODIs wasn't there? Despite the fact he was quite attacking.

Would've walked into all other sides at the time...except for maybe India.

TheJediBrah

There was a bit of a perception, though, that he was a bit too 'dour' for ODIs wasn't there? Despite the fact he was quite attacking.

Would've walked into all other sides at the time...except for maybe India.
perceptions are often wrong. IMO he probably would have been not quite as good at ODIs as he was at Tests but not by much.

He would have easily done as well or better than guys like Katich or Martyn who had more extended runs in the ODI side. Selection during that period of Australian cricket had a big element of luck to it, if you performed in the right match, at the right time, you could own a spot for years and be very hard to get rid of while equally good players languished in domestic cricket.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I remember Mark Nicholas saying in the 2005 Ashes that Langer was the most improved batsman in the world, had gone from a dour grafter to an attacking bat with crisp cover drives and shots all around the wicket. In the end I thought he was significantly superior to Hayden as an opener.

I'm really not that sure about him as a coach though. Seems like a sycophantic tosser to me.

Victor Ian

International Coach
This is gonna be comedy
Why? I think he might not be too bad. He has done well with WA and is aware of the need to present a 'cleaner' Australian team to the public and game. I think he will do quite well. Yes, Ponting or Gillespie seem like a better pick, but it hasn't happened. As Australian coach I think he will now embrace all of our players equally.