• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Fourth Reich: Justin Langer Appointed Australian Head Coach

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ah! What would we do without the media?

First they created a situation where a sensible decision could never be taken: don't ban anyone from playing cricket, but remove Smith from the captaincy, for ever.
Now they are trying to create an atmosphere where the public opinion would eventually become strongly in favour of the re-investiture as captain of a cheat who was caught red-handed.
While I agree with the disparaging of the media in this whole fiasco, I see this last shift as more of a necessary course correction that further insanity. I think you're a bit ignorant of the facts, calling Smith a "cheat who was caught red-handed". I'd be surprised if he ever actually ball tampered, possibly had a peripheral idea that something was going on but even that's not certain. If Smith is a "cheat" then what would you call guys like Tendulkar who actually were caught tampering red-handed? Super cheats?

Borges

International Regular
This is what the laws of cricket has to say about this:
"The captains are responsible for ensuring that play is conducted within The Spirit of Cricket, as described in The Preamble – The Spirit of Cricket, as well as within the Laws."

Smith - the captain who clearly knew about it and permitted it - is a bigger cheat than either Bancroft (who carried out the nefarious designs of his team) or Warner (who is believed to have brought up the idea). In my book, he is unfit to be the captain of any cricket team: even the Australian team.

For the record, I would call anyone who tampered with the ball illegally (whether it was caught or not) a cheat;
those who believed that using things like bottle caps or sandpaper was an acceptable idea are the super cheats.

cnerd123

likes this
"The captains are responsible for ensuring that play is conducted within The Spirit of Cricket, as described in The Preamble – The Spirit of Cricket, as well as within the Laws."

Smith - the captain who clearly knew about it and permitted it - is a bigger cheat than either Bancroft (who carried out the nefarious designs of his team) or Warner (who is believed to have brought up the idea). In my book, he is unfit to be the captain of any cricket team: even the Australian team.

For the record, I would call anyone who tampered with the ball illegally (whether it was caught or not) a cheat;
those who believed that using things like bottle caps or sandpaper was an acceptable idea are the super cheats.
lol

TheJediBrah

Do you hold similar views on other perpetrators? eg. Faf, Atherton, Tendulker, the entire English cricket team since 2005 etc

IMO sandpaper/bottle caps isn't any worse than mints/sweeteners to shine the ball. If anything the opposite as use of mints has actually been shown to affect the balls movement whereas the sandpaper did demonstrably **** all. The umps even examined the ball afterward and were happy with it.

Borges

International Regular
Do you hold similar views on other perpetrators?
Yes.

I do not believe in the existence of an imaginary "line" which someone has drawn; where breaking the rules within this "line" (which can be conveniently moved) is playing "hard but fair."

If smearing the ball with a foul smelling icky goo with saliva as the base or picking the seam with sharpened claws is not cheating, and contributes to the betterment of the game, write it into the laws of cricket or permit it under the rules of the ICC.

I must add that I find this oft repeated Aussie nonsense about "the entire English cricket team since 2005" being perpetrators of ball tampering eminently laughable.

cnerd123

likes this
I must add that I find this oft repeated Aussie nonsense about "the entire English cricket team since 2005" being perpetrators of ball tampering eminently laughable.
But by your logic you do not need for them to have been caught to be cheats.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree with Borges actually. Makes sense in terms of Smith's role. You wouldn't forgive Karl Donitz for the holocaust just because he knew Hitler had a final solution but never bothered to ask what it was.

TheJediBrah

eh, it's an exaggeration with a heavy basis in fact

I applaud you at least having a consistent opinion, it's more than you can say about a lot of "fans" out there

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Do you hold similar views on other perpetrators? eg. Faf, Atherton, Tendulker, the entire English cricket team since 2005 etc

IMO sandpaper/bottle caps isn't any worse than mints/sweeteners to shine the ball. If anything the opposite as use of mints has actually been shown to affect the balls movement whereas the sandpaper did demonstrably **** all. The umps even examined the ball afterward and were happy with it.
Huh?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I agree with Borges actually. Makes sense in terms of Smith's role. You wouldn't forgive Karl Donitz for the holocaust just because he knew Hitler had a final solution but never bothered to ask what it was.
Deliberately invoking Godwin's Law to end the thread?

TheJediBrah

That's just a cover, his actual role will be leading the research into effective methods of hiding ball-tampering from modern surveillance equipment so that we never face a similar issue again

also composing a meta-analysis of research data on "the line" and "where it is" to ensure optimal utilisation of abusive sledging, but maintaining deniability and moral high-ground, for future generations of Australian cricketers.

Last edited:

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain

You forgot zippers.

Deliberately invoking Godwin's Law to end the thread?
Then the thread should have ended when the subject header was typed.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

He's got some cojones coming out saying that he would've ball tampered

The new coach supposed to change Australia's image too . . . just lol

cnerd123

likes this
Not surprised that Alan Border would ask his players to tamper the ball

Not surprised that a former Australian player and current Australian coach would gladly do it

Not surprised in the slightest

#CheatingAussies #ThisIsWhyYouDontGetToKeepYourNicknames