• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Fourth Reich: Justin Langer Appointed Australian Head Coach

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
He would have easily done as well or better than guys like Katich or Martyn who had more extended runs in the ODI side. Selection during that period of Australian cricket had a big element of luck to it, if you performed in the right match, at the right time, you could own a spot for years and be very hard to get rid of while equally good players languished in domestic cricket.
Yep, Katich got a bafflingly extended run in the ODI side in the mid-00s when he was not much better than a plodder; hard to envisage that he could've played in the 2007 World Cup over Hayden.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yep, Katich got a bafflingly extended run in the ODI side in the mid-00s when he was not much better than a plodder; hard to envisage that he could've played in the 2007 World Cup over Hayden.
I remember aggressively defending Katich in the ODI side at the time. IIRC he silenced haters in a tri-series with a hundred only to goto India (for the CT?) and get quietly dropped. In hindsight, it was def the right move.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember aggressively defending Katich in the ODI side at the time. IIRC he silenced haters in a tri-series with a hundred only to goto India (for the CT?) and get quietly dropped. In hindsight, it was def the right move.
Hey he was definitely good enough, as were half a dozen other players in domestic cricket. But with Hayden and Gilchrist around there's no way he should have had it for as long as he did.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Unsurprising, but, why?

Like, I really don't get why this appeal exists in the first place. He's part of the same culture, he didn't succeed last time he was in the set-up, his coaching record with WA is incredibly poor (and the Scorchers success is more down to list management than anything else), and he's incredibly one-eyed when it comes to selections. Langer would be one of the last people on my list.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You know this is going to end well when he's calling men kids and talking about behaviour modification.

"Everyone knows the difference between right and wrong. That's simple. You get taught that when you're a little kid through your parents or through school. If our players literally stick to that right or wrong, they'll be OK I think" - On players 'crossing the line'
This is utter gobbilty gook, it's like the man has never encountered a hypocrite in his life.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i bet you a million dollars that when Adam Goodes was getting booed, Langer was like "it can't be racism, we cheer for Nic Nat!" #rightandwrong

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Unsurprising, but, why?

Like, I really don't get why this appeal exists in the first place. He's part of the same culture, he didn't succeed last time he was in the set-up, his coaching record with WA is incredibly poor (and the Scorchers success is more down to list management than anything else), and he's incredibly one-eyed when it comes to selections. Langer would be one of the last people on my list.
I'm guessing most Australian candidates weren't putting their hands up and they were extremely hesitant to hire from overseas again

Going to be embarrassing to watch