• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricketers boorish conduct stumps media

pakster

U19 12th Man
i severly doubt that it is true, rediff has a reputation for inacurate reporting. They probably took the situation out of context.

Still a funny read though, unpresidented behaviour (if true!!)

pakster

U19 12th Man
more of a reliable source!!

perahps the indian players should also recognise that its the media that make them superstars!!
They cant have it both ways!!

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sounds pretty silly on the Indian team's part. The seeds for this incident were probably sewn during the Pak tour, where relations between the Indian side and the media became strained because of constant questions regarding match-fixing and the like (which I know exasperated several Indian cricketers, including Dravid). Although obviously that was the Pakistani media. I would have thought things would not be so bad at home, but then there IS a situation where Indian player effigies get burned in the streets when the Indians do poorly abroad (not that they did this time), and I know the Indian press can be very savage on the team, so I'm not really aware of the history behind all this (if there is any).

Still, Ricky Ponting must be champing at the bit to tell us all that the Aussies don't do things that way.

Scallywag

Banned
Slow Love™ said:
Still, Ricky Ponting must be champing at the bit to tell us all that the Aussies don't do things that way.
Ricky is a bit more media savvy than these guys and our board would not put our players in that position.

Just an example of bad planning and poor communications.

NikhilN

International Regular
This is Bull...if this was true it would have been on TV news but I didnt see it yet cause I watch Zee News everyday

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Ricky is a bit more media savvy than these guys and our board would not put our players in that position.

Grits teeth

PY

International Coach
Scallywag said:
:laugh:

I think I'm gaining the ability to see the future. Before I even saw that post, I knew you would say something like that.

Scallywag

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
Is this Ricky "foot in mouth" Ponting we're talking about?

"Visibly disinterested, the reluctant players, led by India vice-captain Rahul Dravid, obliged, albeit for a few minutes.

But questions were summarily dismissed or received terse replies."

I have no idea what you would say if Ponting acted as childish and imature as the Indian cricket players.

NikhilN

International Regular
Also if this should have happened it should have been on Cricinfo...Just like what happen to Martyn...it was a little thing but it still showed up on Cricinfo then why didnt this?

V Reddy

International Debutant
Proud Indian said:
Also if this should have happened it should have been on Cricinfo...Just like what happen to Martyn...it was a little thing but it still showed up on Cricinfo then why didnt this?
CricInfo is not only the news source for Indian Cricket :mellow:

Deja moo

International Captain
My guess is that the incident may not have been as bad as the newspapers made it out to be. After all, the media can report anything against players if it feels that they have been a little slighted.

If a player is giving an interview, and the interviewer irritates him with repeated questioning regarding some minor point, he would tell him to leave.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:

Really very Media Savvy and very good planning and communication. :laugh:

"Australian captain Ricky Ponting got a taste of the International Cricket Council's tough ways and means to combat ambush marketing when he was asked to take his national cap off during a media briefing at the Wanderers on Sunday afternoon."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/37097545.cms

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
"Visibly disinterested, the reluctant players, led by India vice-captain Rahul Dravid, obliged, albeit for a few minutes.

But questions were summarily dismissed or received terse replies."

I have no idea what you would say if Ponting acted as childish and imature as the Indian cricket players.

Yeah, comments like 'selfish Lara " are soooo mature.

Sudeep

International Captain
orangepitch said:
Yeah, comments like 'selfish Lara " are soooo mature.
He didn't disrespect Lara. He just said what he thought, according to his philosophy.

However, what the Indian players here did, that is if it's true, is disrespect the journalists.

It's completely irrevelant to compare the two situations, for they are totally different. One a voice of opinion, the other disrespect.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, but his philosophy is skewed.....He probably uttered the most oxymoronic thing ever when he said that Aussies won't play for records and then said straightaway that what happened with Hayden was exception.....Well, so it is with the Windies....Lara does not always play for records and what happened this time was an exception.....I agree that Ponting talks too much. He didn't know how good the Windies bowlers were, he didn't know how good the pitch was (regardless of reading on paper or watching on TV, it is still not the same as seeing the actual thing) and he had no real right to comment when he knew so little.....But even he is tolerable as he is a great player.....That Tony Greig is the biggest idiot around in world cricket.....He brings interest to the game with his commentating, but as an expert, his views are always wrong....His predictions almost never come true....Compare that with a GAvaskar or a Boycott, who always predict well (atleast most of the time)....

But replying to the topic, I didn't read it on many big sites......Rediff and Times of India usually share the same columns, so there is a good chance that this incident might have been blown out of proportions by some journalist who might have taken offence by whatever the team did there.....

Deja moo

International Captain
honestbharani said:
Compare that with a GAvaskar or a Boycott, who always predict well (atleast most of the time)....

But replying to the topic, I didn't read it on many big sites......Rediff and Times of India usually share the same columns, so there is a good chance that this incident might have been blown out of proportions by some journalist who might have taken offence by whatever the team did there.....

Exactly...the players may be public figures, but that doesnt mean that they are obliged to provide a sound byte whenever a journalist demands it.

I mean , how would you feel if you are out for dinner, and a guy pokes a mike under your nose ?

That said, in such situations , I'd prefer a " F*** you " response from the player rather than some stupid comment thought up on the spur of the moment .ie. just saying something for the sake of saying it...ala Ponting.

Also regarding Gavaskars commentary, I find it irritating sometimes when he goes overboard in his support for India. He is either jumping with joy if Indias winning, or becomes glum when Indias losing. I really feel that a commentator must follow a middle path and relay the game rather than his personal emotions all the time.