• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricketers boorish conduct stumps media

Sudeep

International Captain
honestbharani said:
Yeah, but his philosophy is skewed.....He probably uttered the most oxymoronic thing ever when he said that Aussies won't play for records and then said straightaway that what happened with Hayden was exception.....Well, so it is with the Windies....Lara does not always play for records and what happened this time was an exception.....I agree that Ponting talks too much. He didn't know how good the Windies bowlers were, he didn't know how good the pitch was (regardless of reading on paper or watching on TV, it is still not the same as seeing the actual thing) and he had no real right to comment when he knew so little.....But even he is tolerable as he is a great player.....That Tony Greig is the biggest idiot around in world cricket.....He brings interest to the game with his commentating, but as an expert, his views are always wrong....His predictions almost never come true....Compare that with a GAvaskar or a Boycott, who always predict well (atleast most of the time)....

But replying to the topic, I didn't read it on many big sites......Rediff and Times of India usually share the same columns, so there is a good chance that this incident might have been blown out of proportions by some journalist who might have taken offence by whatever the team did there.....
Australia made an exception for Hayden when they knew they were going to win. They were playing Zimbabwe.

Look, I'm not saying Lara was selfish. I think this innings might help a bit in reviving Windies cricket.

But, Ponting did nothing wrong in expressing his opinion. And I don't think he was being contradictory in Hayden's situation, since it was a totally different contest.

And the Indians' comments issue could have been blowed out of proportion, but PTI is a good source, so can't really put an opinion on the whole thing.

Sudeep

International Captain
orangepitch said:
Also regarding Gavaskars commentary, I find it irritating sometimes when he goes overboard in his support for India. He is either jumping with joy if Indias winning, or becomes glum when Indias losing. I really feel that a commentator must follow a middle path and relay the game rather than his personal emotions all the time.
Agreed.

And that's why Richie Benaud is my favorite all-time commentator. He always follows the middle path.

Deja moo

International Captain
Sudeep Popat said:
And the Indians' comments issue could have been blowed out of proportion, but PTI is a good source, so can't really put an opinion on the whole thing.
All it takes is one ****ed off pressman to blow it all up.

Sudeep

International Captain
orangepitch said:
All it takes is one ****ed off pressman to blow it all up.
Could be.

WHile thinking of it, the news didn't appear in the print version of Times of India.

Deja moo

International Captain
Sudeep Popat said:
Could be.

WHile thinking of it, the news didn't appear in the print version of Times of India.
There was a small coloumn dedicated to it in the sports section of the TOI here in Navi Mumbai.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
orangepitch said:
Exactly...the players may be public figures, but that doesnt mean that they are obliged to provide a sound byte whenever a journalist demands it.

Yes, but if they're in a Press Conference, I think the Journalist has a right to expect a comment?

Sudeep

International Captain
orangepitch said:
There was a small coloumn dedicated to it in the sports section of the TOI here in Navi Mumbai.
We get the Ahmedabad edition of TOI here in Baroda.

Nothing in that.

Deja moo

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Yes, but if they're in a Press Conference, I think the Journalist has a right to expect a comment?
They were?

I thought they were visiting someplace when the journalists showed up. :happy:

Sudeep

International Captain
orangepitch said:
They were?

I thought they were visiting someplace when the journalists showed up. :happy:
From the article: "The organizers said a press conference was not supposed to take place, but hastily apologized upon realizing that the invite clearly mentioned one would be held."

If that was the case, the journalists had every right to consider it a press conference, and ask questions. And the cricketers' anger should have been directed towards to organizers and not the journalists.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Scallywag said:
Ricky is a bit more media savvy than these guys and our board would not put our players in that position.

Just an example of bad planning and poor communications.
No. Ricky is a bit more media savvy since he's stopped going to the Bourbon & Beefsteak. The rest of the Aussie team is pretty media savvy

Except if Brad Williams is fronted by the media just after being dropped.

Or Damien Martyn cops a bit of flak and flies the bird.

I suspect that the current controversy is probably pretty much like the two above - the media making trouble out of not much to start with.