• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hyped English batsman in county cricket

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hick, Crawley, Ramprakash, Bailey, McGrath, Moxon, Barnett, Fairbrother, Hayes, Curtis, Barnett, Ed Smith, Maynard, Morris, James, Afzaal, Habib are the first set of names that trip off the tongue

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Were many of those (barring Hick and Ramprakash) "hyped"? I don't remember anyone saying (e.g.) "Tim Curtis will be the backbone of England's batting for the next decade!" Most of those I don't think got much beyond "Tim Curtis's county form shows that he deserves a go in the England side". (Living in Gloucestershire, I encountered plenty of comments that Alleyne/Snape/Russell/whoever should be in the England ODI side when Glos kept winning one-day trophies, but I don't think that sort of thing really counts either).

That said, the players I do remember being most obviously hyped (besides Hick and maybe Ramprakash) were the Hollioakes, especially Ben.

S.Kennedy

Yes. And with Cook's endless partners, it is more a case of, ''he looks good: perhaps he'll be the answer''. I wouldn't call any of them hyped. Perhaps Duckett had a bit of hype floating around him?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Duckett was certainly the one I was most excited about, had a brilliant season and played some really standout innings. Hameed as well I suppose.

The rest were just 'lets hope this one does ok.' That has pretty much been the case for everyone that had made their debut recently.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Hick, Crawley, Ramprakash, Bailey, McGrath, Moxon, Barnett, Fairbrother, Hayes, Curtis, Barnett, Ed Smith, Maynard, Morris, James, Afzaal, Habib are the first set of names that trip off the tongue
habib is outright the worst test batsman i've ever seen for england. so ****.

AndrewB

Yeah Duckett was certainly the one I was most excited about, had a brilliant season and played some really standout innings. Hameed as well I suppose.
It'd be harsh to say that Hameed has "failed at international level", though - in fact I think most of his hype came after he'd looked OK in the Tests he played. (Also true of Hick and Fairbrother if you include ODIs).

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
inevitable when you have a domestic comp with so many teams. The gap to Test cricket is that much larger

Borges

International Regular
inevitable when you have a domestic comp with so many teams. The gap to Test cricket is that much larger
They have two divisions; the minnows play in division two.
In theory this should work well; first step up from division two to division one, and then from there on to test cricket.

cnerd123

likes this
In theory this should work well; first step up from division two to division one, and then from there on to test cricket.
It still means all the talent in the country is divided amongst all the 18 odd teams. You never have a perfect situation where the top 130 cricketers are in Div 1 and the next 130 are in Div 2. Realistically some of the best cricketers end up in Div 2 because that's their county/better money/opportunities while some cricketers just make up the numbers in Div 1 or are part of the county's long term development or something.

On top of that it's better to have the best 100 or so cricketers just play each other all the time rather than the best 250 or so play each other. Sure you get more styles and techniques and conditions in such a large competition, but the decline in quality makes you wonder if it's worth it

TheJediBrah

That makes absolutely no sense. Unless I'm mistaken, players don't get promoted to division 1 teams when they start performing. You can have strong and weak players in each time in either division. Division 1 might be slightly higher standard but it's not like every single player in Division 1 is better than every single player in division 2.

TheJediBrah

It still means all the talent in the country is divided amongst all the 18 odd teams. You never have a perfect situation where the top 130 cricketers are in Div 1 and the next 130 are in Div 2. Realistically some of the best cricketers end up in Div 2 because that's their county/better money/opportunities while some cricketers just make up the numbers in Div 1 or are part of the county's long term development or something.

On top of that it's better to have the best 100 or so cricketers just play each other all the time rather than the best 250 or so play each other. Sure you get more styles and techniques and conditions in such a large competition, but the decline in quality makes you wonder if it's worth it
That's what I always thought, but when you consider how many overseas players (& kolpak etc.) in every team over there it helps a bit with the quality.

Athlai

Not Terrible
TBF there aren't many domestic cricket systems better than Englands, their second division is still superior in terms of quality compared to plenty of first class "domestic" cricket in other countries.