• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hyped English batsman in county cricket

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBF there aren't many domestic cricket systems better than Englands, their second division is still superior in terms of quality compared to plenty of first class "domestic" cricket in other countries.
Really? I'm not exactly familiar with many other domestic competitions but this would surprise me (unless we're talking about Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, West Indies, Sri Lanka, which I'm pretty sure would be pretty low standard)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really? I'm not exactly familiar with many other domestic competitions but this would surprise me (unless we're talking about Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, West Indies, Sri Lanka, which I'm pretty sure would be pretty low standard)
Ravi Jadeja, a decent no 7 at best in tests, has three triple centuries in India's comp. 'Nuff said.

Borges

International Regular
In theory this should work well; first step up from division two to division one, and then from there on to test cricket.
That makes absolutely no sense. Unless I'm mistaken, players don't get promoted to division 1 teams when they start performing. You can have strong and weak players in each time in either division. Division 1 might be slightly higher standard but it's not like every single player in Division 1 is better than every single player in division 2.
You do not have even the foggiest idea of what the phrase 'in theory' means, do you?

cnerd123

likes this
Yea Ranji cricket is an absolute mess. Gotta really dig into domestic performances for Indian cricketers, cant just take the numbers on face value.

cnerd123

likes this
That's not to say Indian Domestic cricket is weak ftr. It's kinda like SA with the difference between regional and franchise cricket. In India some domestic cricket matters more than others, and there is such a huge varience between the typical pitches in different regions (flat, green, dry, slow) that it heavily skews the numbers of players from each region. Like, Jadeja made his triple tons in really flat conditions, which actually makes his bowling numbers super impressive

TheJediBrah

You do not have even the foggiest idea of what the phrase 'in theory' means, do you?
Why wouldn't I? As I said, the "theory" you mentioned, doesn't make any sense. Not sure why you're having trouble understanding.

Athlai

Not Terrible
SA/India/Pakistan/India/Zim/WI/SL/Ban all have domestic comps of lower quality than 2nd division County Cricket. Franchise cricket in SA and that shorter series in India are very high standard, but they also have lesser stuff called FC quality too.

Australia > County Cricket as a whole
NZ > approximately 2nd division level

TheJediBrah

Consider talking to yourself once in a while. I know it would be terribly frustrating; but it could be an edifying experience.
Get a grip mate. You made a really stupid comment and got called out on it. No need to whinge and try to blame it on me. And you're the one who brought the rude attitude into it. Fmd

cnerd123

likes this
Consider talking to yourself once in a while. I know it would be terribly frustrating; but it could be an edifying experience.
You seem to pick a lot of fights with a lot of posters here. Are we all that terribly frustrating to deal with? How on earth do you put up with us?

Borges

International Regular
In the old days, those who played test cricket also regularly played FC cricket.
Currently, County cricket is the only domestic FC cricket competition where several players, from many countries, who have played test cricket participate every year.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I think Joe Root is the only English batsman since KP (lol) who has lived up to the hype.

I still remember salivating at Cook after his brilliant thrashing of the much vaunted Aussie bowling attack in a warm up match ahead of the epic 2005 Ashes. But 13 years hence I think he has rather slightly underwhelmed although he has scored truckloads of runs for England. The fact that England hardly have any batsmen averaging above 50 (which is a good benchmark separating the really good from the rest) is enough proof about the standards of domestic cricket in that country. Too many Kolpaks and has-beens lurking around.

TheJediBrah

I think Joe Root is the only English batsman since KP (lol) who has lived up to the hype.

I still remember salivating at Cook after his brilliant thrashing of the much vaunted Aussie bowling attack in a warm up match ahead of the epic 2005 Ashes. But 13 years hence I think he has rather slightly underwhelmed although he has scored truckloads of runs for England. The fact that England hardly have any batsmen averaging above 50 (which is a good benchmark separating the really good from the rest) is enough proof about the standards of domestic cricket in that country. Too many Kolpaks and has-beens lurking around.
- English batsman
- KP

pick one

TheJediBrah

I always figured that England not having batsmen that average over 50 was largely due to England being a tougher place to bat, due to the swing and seam being more available on average. Same reason they have some pedestrian fast bowlers with decent figures, and good fast bowlers (eg. Broad and Anderson) with prolific figures.