• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ECB presents 100-ball domestic game for men and women

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If I liked to watch inferior cricket I'd watch my local league. Women's cricket only matters as much as 'our women are better than yours' and 'there is nothing else on'. When a woman is as good as a man - it happens - it's a shame she has to play in a women's league instead of the top league.
Afaik there's nothing stopping quality women from playing in mens club cricket, or even grade cricket (it's been done). You don't see it very often because the number of women who could actually be competitive in first grade club cricket is just very low

Borges

International Regular
If I liked to watch inferior cricket I'd watch my local league. Women's cricket only matters as much as 'our women are better than yours' and 'there is nothing else on'.
They could have a double bill: Women's T16.67 to be immediately followed by men's T16.67. Then even you would watch a bit of the women's game, even if unintentionally.

When a woman is as good as a man - it happens - it's a shame she has to play in a women's league instead of the top league.
The should amend the rules to follow the chess model. There is no men's chess: there is 'open' and 'women'.
Would love to see (and hear) the Australian women sledging the hell out of Virat Kohli.

cnerd123

likes this
Afaik there's nothing stopping quality women from playing in mens club cricket, or even grade cricket (it's been done). You don't see it very often because the number of women who could actually be competitive in first grade club cricket is just very low
Of all the professional sports out there, cricket is probably one of the few where, in theory, a woman should be able to compete at the highest level with men. It's not a sport based on strength or size or speed, all you really need is some decent skills, reflexes and hand-eye coordination. It's very easy to imagine a woman who's a good enough spin/medium pace bowler to bowl against the best male batsmen, while being sufficiently competent at fielding and probably batting down at 10/11...like that's a very feasible goal to aim for. And then you already have Sarah Taylor - an elite level wicketkeeper who is competent enough with the bat to not be an absolute tailender. She's played grade cricket in Australia, and you think with enough training she could be a competent enough wicketkeeper for the men's international cricket.

But I could be wrong. It will be interesting to watch in the next couple of decades if any women emerge who are good enough to prove this theory.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Somehow, rather than discussing the rather marked silliness of this proposal this has turned into the usual zero-sum debate about women's cricket.

cnerd123

likes this
I mean this is a silly idea that I don't think will even get off the ground, let alone make it past one season. It's a gimmick and very few gimmicks in cricket stick. I dont have much to say about it, I found the conversation about whether women's cricket matters and what motivates boards to promote it to be more interesting

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The success of a Women's Cricket thread on a male dominated forum is irrelevant to what they're trying to achieve.
What are they trying to achieve, their first fast bowler by the 22nd century?

Burgey

I want a tournament between every T20 franchise in the world, from every country, where the competition a knockout of one super over each. it becomes a traveling circus around the world like the equally meaningless rugby sevens - about 120 matches over each weekend. The round games are played where the first innings of two matches is played, followed by the second innings of the same two matches. That way there's very little delay between innings - teams just run on and off.

The kicker is that in each match of the competition up until the last eight, the teams have to rotate their batting order. If you faced one ball of the previous match, you cant' bat in the next one.

It's really stupid and meaningless. Which means it'll be a big hit and is the way forward.

Borges

International Regular
Somehow, rather than discussing the rather marked silliness of this proposal this has turned into the usual zero-sum debate about women's cricket.
The derailing of this thread was started by this absurd idea which was then repeatedly asserted:
'people who don't watch cricket right now (women) would start watching cricket if they are given an opportunity to see the less interesting form of the game.(women's cricket).'

TheJediBrah

The should amend the rules to follow the chess model. There is no men's chess: there is 'open' and 'women'.
It wouldn't make any difference. It would still just end up being 'men' and 'women'

Of all the professional sports out there, cricket is probably one of the few where, in theory, a woman should be able to compete at the highest level with men. It's not a sport based on strength or size or speed, all you really need is some decent skills, reflexes and hand-eye coordination. It's very easy to imagine a woman who's a good enough spin/medium pace bowler to bowl against the best male batsmen, while being sufficiently competent at fielding and probably batting down at 10/11...like that's a very feasible goal to aim for. And then you already have Sarah Taylor - an elite level wicketkeeper who is competent enough with the bat to not be an absolute tailender. She's played grade cricket in Australia, and you think with enough training she could be a competent enough wicketkeeper for the men's international cricket.

But I could be wrong. It will be interesting to watch in the next couple of decades if any women emerge who are good enough to prove this theory.
Yeah I think you probably are wrong tbh. I can see where you're coming from but I don't think it would hold up in practice.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
How do you think quicks, 90mph guys, will like the news of a ten ball over?

And poor Duckworth-Lewis have their work cut out for them.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
They obviously want to make cricket as short as possible so why 16 (and a bit) which isn't massively different from twenty20 (20 balls to be precise)? They may as well use the ten/ten concept which was tried out recently, or why stop there? 5/5. 1/1?

And why does Eoin Morgan always praise all of these sparkly competitions? He loves nothing more than a dodgy limited overs competition, emphasis on limited, in UAE.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
After 25 years of following cricket and unaware of what happens in women's cricket, I am following women's cricket for the first time this year. The brand sure is improving.

the big bambino

International Captain
Its disappointing that we have one thread for 100 ball cricket and most of the comments are about women's cricket. There's a 14 year old thread for that.

As for this competition, I genuinely fear the future of T20 cricket before it can threaten the future of LOIs before they could cause the demise of tests.