• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ECB presents 100-ball domestic game for men and women

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah it's the classic "wider audience" myth. Changing something that people love to appeal to a wider audience never works. It alienates more of your long-term fans than any new fans it hooks, however briefly.

Daemon

T20s were created with the idea of selling cricket to people who didn't like it (because it was too boring/long) and it's been a massive success.

Obviously there's a fundamental difference - T20 was made to attract people who knew about cricket's existence but didn't really care about it along with fans who didn't have the time to follow cricket. Meanwhile this disaster is trying to attract brand new fans who just don't understand cricket at all. You cannot force this version down the latter groups throats.

I really want to read the relevant market research reports as well as the minutes of meetings where this was discussed.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Rugby and rugby 7s are different enough? Do they follow similar basic rules?
The rules are similar (bar the length of the game and the players involved), and for loose forwards and wingers in proper rugby there is a great degree of direct transfer of skills, but the games themselves are vastly different.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea fundamental difference was that for T20s they actually asked people "why don't you watch cricket" and found out a lot of people said "it takes too long", and those same people were willing to watch a shorter version of it

You're now trying to sell cricket to people who don't like the basic fundamental mechanics behind it, and you aren't even changing the mechanics that much. No one is going to like cricket better if it's 5 balls an over not six. What non-cricket fan is going "man, only if you could bowl 2 overs consecutively one time in the match, that would make it really interesting to me".

Likewise, who is going to watch a T10 that isn't currently already watching T20s?

Mr Miyagi

Banned
It still sounds better than cricket on ice.

Which was like, "hey, omg look at these cricket stars playing on ice" and a few minutes later being "cricket on ice is pretty lame".

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
T20 sucks and became successful , so why not do T10 as well. I wonder how much of this is experiment for USA audience. Sad state of affairs.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea fundamental difference was that for T20s they actually asked people "why don't you watch cricket" and found out a lot of people said "it takes too long", and those same people were willing to watch a shorter version of it

You're now trying to sell cricket to people who don't like the basic fundamental mechanics behind it, and you aren't even changing the mechanics that much. No one is going to like cricket better if it's 5 balls an over not six. What non-cricket fan is going "man, only if you could bowl 2 overs consecutively one time in the match, that would make it really interesting to me".

Likewise, who is going to watch a T10 that isn't currently already watching T20s?
Morons.

SillyCowCorner1

They need to bring back the bowling machine tournament.

Oh, I forgot. It's called the Hong Kong Cricket Sixes Tournament.

Shadowplayer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The ECB needs to stop selling cricket to people who don't like cricket

I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but here's the thing - you cannot make people like something, and the more you try to make them like it, the more they will push against it.

You tell somebody that you've made a version of cricket just for them, they're going to watch it with a super critical eye, ready to not like it, and will find every fault in the world with it. They also realise you're desperate for their attention, and right there and then you've made them think that what you're selling is inherently not cool.

Sell cricket to your existing fans. Make them happy. Give them meaningful schedules, good pitches, sensible modifications (e.g. - legalise ball tampering), easy access, and some proper media and production value. Engage with the people who already love the sport.

Then when someone who doesn't like cricket walks past a sold out stadium of loud cheering cricket fans - he's now going to be curious. He sees cricket fans at school or work raving about last nights game -instead of complaining about the boring the one sided game on a flat pitch with Warne commentating on Pizza- and now he's going to be interested. He reads columns in the newspaper celebrating a great series that was well scheduled and executed from start to finish, instead of articles like the ones here, and now he's going to want to watch it.

Word of Mouth and Fear Of Missing Out are the two most effective marketing tools known to man. Gimmicks only take you so far. Sell the product you already have to people who like it. Take care of your existing fans and make them happy. Take care of your existing product and keep it healthy. Make your product easy for people to purchase. Invest heavily in grass roots programmes with the goal of making it easier for people to take up cricket, rather than with the goal of preaching it to school kids.

You do all this, and the fans will come.
You were doing well till you said, legalise ball tampering, I stopped reading after that......YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS MAN!!

fredfertang

You were doing well till you said, legalise ball tampering, I stopped reading after that......YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS MAN!!
I don't agree with ***** on that one, well not at first blush anyway, but I think there is a debate to be had on the subject and depending on exactly what he means I might be persuaded - he has, after all, umpired at a decent standard so he may well have insights the rest of us don't

cnerd123

likes this
All you need to do is prevent external objects onto the field of play. Let the players be free to do whatever they want with what is available

Starfighter

Ball tampering = swing bowling = pitched up bowling = nice looking, technically correct shots down the ground and batsmen getting out bowled more often, which is fifty gazillion times more interesting than caught behind = better to watch cricket in general. Yeah, what's the issue here?

Granted we could all start using Dukes' balls and we'd be 9/10ths of the way there already.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Warne and Smith unsure on 'The 100'

Shane Warne and Robin Smith have admitted their reservations about the proposed 100-ball competition.

The pair were speaking at a former Hampshire captains' dinner at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton before the fourth Test between England and India.

"I'm not sure I'm a fan of 'The 100'," former Australia leg-spinner Warne told BBC South Today.

"I think we've got three formats that work really well and you don't need to confuse spectators with any more."

Ex-England batsman Smith added: "If you start messing with formats too much, it can get a bit too complicated. Let's just keep it really simple."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45337151

Borges

International Regular
This S.Kennedy appears to be mole planted by the ECB to stoke the fire and rekindle interest in ECB's vision for the future. Periodically, whenever interest has dies down and people have just stopped talking about it any more.

His avatar, with the letters ECB proudly emblazoned across the chest, is a dead give away.

Daemon

I like how 'l3galize tampering1!!1' has become a widely accepted solution on CW.

It's stupid and impractical.

cnerd123

likes this
It's stupid and impractical trying to legislate it. Teams are doing it anyways. Just let them keep doing what they're doing instead of turning a blind eye to it until they do something blindingly stupid and get caught. It's not like we punish it, it's always just an ineffective slap on the wrist. CA went overboard but the ICC stance is so soft we may as well just legalise and instead ban players from bring foreign objects onto the field of play.