• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ECB presents 100-ball domestic game for men and women

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Those Graves comments bring to mind what the likes of Jarrod Kimber have been saying for years that cricket seems to be run by administrators who seem to think the sport is an anachronism. I guess this is the inevitable result of getting people from the 'business world' instead of those who love the game and understand its innate appeal.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
“No payments have been made to counties at all”, Colin Graves.

''Following discussions with the ECB the club decided not to apply to host Test matches during the 2020 to 2024 period in return for a compensation payment of £2.5m”, Glamorgan.

S.Kennedy

Just reiterating (more to myself) the fury at the ECB,

- General (fan/media) opprobrium and ridicule over the 100, compounded with ridicule over how the 100 has been proposed, including ***ist and patronising comments, uncertain and mixed messages and outright lies.

- Crisis talks between Surrey CC and the ECB, Graves threatening to remove The Oval because of certain facetious comments made by the former about The Hundred - a trial run of an 100 exhibition match at The Oval is ruled-out by the ECB. The Surrey chairman had of course resigned from the ECB over their government so relations were already bad before the 100 proposal.

- Complete uncertainty and crisis talks required at best between the ECB and players (PCA). At worst: a players' strike!!

- Counties disgusted with the ECB pocketing IPL money; counties demanding greater remuneration for IPL departures and some sort of system to halt late signings (like Willey and Plunkett).

- middling (non-test) counties disgusted with test grounds (Glamorgan) pocketing money for refusing to bid on tests.

Those are just the major items! I am sure I missed one or two?

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Just reiterating (more to myself) the fury at the ECB,

- General (fan/media) opprobrium and ridicule over the 100, compounded with ridicule over how the 100 has been proposed, including ***ist and patronising comments, uncertain and mixed messages and outright lies.

- Crisis talks between Surrey CC and the ECB, Graves threatening to remove The Oval because of certain facetious comments made by the former about The Hundred - a trial run of an 100 exhibition match at The Oval is ruled-out by the ECB. The Surrey chairman had of course resigned from the ECB over their government so relations were already bad before the 100 proposal.

- Complete uncertainty and crisis talks required at best between the ECB and players (PCA). At worst: a players' strike!!

- Counties disgusted with the ECB pocketing IPL money; counties demanding greater remuneration for IPL departures and some sort of system to halt late signings (like Willey and Plunkett).

- middling (non-test) counties disgusted with test grounds (Glamorgan) pocketing money for refusing to bid on tests.

Those are just the major items! I am sure I missed one or two?

1. Why would the IPL be giving the ECB money at all?
2 Most the players in the IPL would be on central contracts
3 Late IPL departures are up to the players to determine their own deals, if they sign on condition they may leave for the IPL if selected late, those are the terms.

I really don't see why the counties should ask for more ECB money just for permitting its own contracted players leave. And if they lose money from losing local contracted players to the IPL, they need to lock their contracts to prevent players from doing it and get into a bidding war with the IPL.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the counties suckle at the teats of the ECB, they have to budget accordingly. Do the counties really want Stokes, Archer, Buttler, Hales and Roy to not go earn some more money? Oh I bet they'd be really happy playing for that county that stops them and won't look for a new gig as soon as that deal is done, if not walk out on it sooner.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
I forgot to mention this. What a bunch of absolute ****goblins the ECB are.

One of the worst boards ever. Jokers. Despise them and their vermin, anti-free speech Chairman.

S.Kennedy

1. Why would the IPL be giving the ECB money at all?
2 Most the players in the IPL would be on central contracts
3 Late IPL departures are up to the players to determine their own deals, if they sign on condition they may leave for the IPL if selected late, those are the terms.

I really don't see why the counties should ask for more ECB money just for permitting its own contracted players leave.
And if they lose money from losing local contracted players to the IPL, they need to lock their contracts to prevent players from doing it and get into a bidding war with the IPL.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the counties suckle at the teats of the ECB, they have to budget accordingly. Do the counties really want Stokes, Archer, Buttler, Hales and Roy to not go earn some more money? Oh I bet they'd be really happy playing for that county that stops them and won't look for a new gig as soon as that deal is done, if not walk out on it sooner.
Because counties are losing players to a foreign competition, often players they have invested heavily in from academy-age group upwards. Even IPL players on England central contracts would have played about two-three rounds of the County Championship this season.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cr...-levels-compensation-loss-cricketers-IPL.html

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
God I hope there is some legal ramification of that Glammy payoff. I don't blame the county massively, but can a lawyer tell me whether that constitutes a bribe and/or conflict of interest? I know Aussie law is likely different (arm wrestles instead of custodial sentences etc) but I think Burgey is a lawyer.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Hundred 'done blatantly for TV', says Graeme Swann - ESPNcricinfo

"[Hundred-ball cricket] is being done very blatantly to fit the TV [schedules], since there is only a small window to get the game on, so they've tried to squeeze it in."

The "concept" for England's new short-form competition in 2020 has caused much discussion, with the players still to get fully on board. Although the reduction from 20 overs (or 120 balls) per innings is minimal, it is thought the change will help to ensure games fit comfortably into a three-hour window, with all matches expected to finish by 9pm.

"It's because of the TV rights," Swann said. "We need to get participation and need to get it on TV, so they are ready to given them small time slots, like they do for football games. So they want to squeeze it in to 100 balls [for these reasons]. But then to insult people's intelligence by claiming that it's something else? That's why there's uproar at the moment."

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
In fairness, it’s good that his calling it out for what it is though...I mean I know how important and wide reaching the opinions of CW travel