• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Colin Bland

Marius

International Debutant
RIP

Nothing on Cricinfo, probably shouldn't be that surprised.

EDIT: Nothing on Cricbuzz or CSA's website so pretty dire all round, actually.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
A wicket every four FC games is hardly Kallis-esque.
.... if that is your measure for all-rounders... you are going to be sorely disappointed at the very few all-rounders in existence! :)

(PS: I don't disagree, but they say he was not a bad bowler. But having never seen him myself can only go anecdotal!)

a massive zebra

International Captain
There were plenty of great fieldsman before Colin Bland, such as E.M. Grace, Gilbert Jessop, Learie Constantine and Wally Hammond.

R.I.P to a cricket revolutionary.

Marius

International Debutant
.... if that is your measure for all-rounders... you are going to be sorely disappointed at the very few all-rounders in existence! :)

(PS: I don't disagree, but they say he was not a bad bowler. But having never seen him myself can only go anecdotal!)
I do think there are very few true all-rounders that have ever played the game - if we define them as people who could make the team on their batting or their bowling.

Even Kallis - he wouldn't have played for SA on the strength of his bowling alone.

SeamUp

International Coach
Good to see CSA pay tribute eventually.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) has reacted after hearing of the passing of Colin Bland in London at the age of 80 after a long battle against colon cancer.

Bulawayo-born Bland represented the South African Cricket Association in 21 Test matches against New Zealand, Australia and England between 1961 and 1966 and was a pivotal member of a group of young players alongside the likes of Eddie Barlow, Denis Lindsay, Graeme and Peter Pollock who produced a dynamic brand of attacking cricket.

He had an outstanding batting average of 49.08 with all three his centuries being important ones in the match and series context. A big man he was renowned for his powerful driving and particularly his willingness to loft the ball straight back over the bowler’s head.

But it was as a fielder that he made his biggest impact with his ability to pick up and throw almost in one movement, at times throwing down the stumps from deep in the outfield. His run out of Ken Barrington in the 1965 Test at Lord’s not only changed the course of that match but of the entire series which the South Africans went on to win.

Such was the impact that he had on the fielding discipline that Colin Cowdrey asked him to give a fielding clinic at Canterbury after the South Africans had won their three-match there in two days and it attracted a capacity audience. The Wisden Almanack named him as one of its Cricketers of the Year in its 1966 edition.

His career was cut short when he suffered a bad knee injury in attempting to save a boundary during the first Test of the 1966/67 home series against Australia.

“On behalf of the CSA Family I extend our deepest condolences to his family, his friends and his many cricketing colleagues,” commented CSA Acting Chief Executive Thabang Moroe.
Rhodes

Sad to hear about the passing of the #fatheroffielding Colin Bland this past weekend. RIP and condolences to his family #fieldingrevolution
Gibbs

Sad to hear about mr blands passing...I was told he was something special in the field. My hero growing up was kirsy and he spoke highly of Colin bland.
Rob Houwing

Certainly sounds as if the now late Colin Bland was pioneer of superlative fielding in SA cricket. Baton possibly handed to @Petethetweet10, who I enjoyed in my youth, then onward to @JontyRhodes8 and @hershybru. Any special additions?
Defo right Peter Kirsten carried that on from the 70s.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And a bloody good batsman as well

Also still the only cricketer whose Wikipedia page links to one of my articles