• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time South Africa XI game

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
For the South Africa XI
- Select Barry Richards opening partner
- Name the teams number 4 batsman
- Name 1 first change bowler

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
G.Smith
G.Pollock
S.Pollock

Although my heart wants Procter, I think this sort of XI has to honour the durability + ability of S.Pollock.

I'm only splitting them on Pollock's demonstration of skill at the highest level, plus the fact that I think that Pollock makes sense in a side that already contains Steyn and Donald, and looks like it won't contain S.Pollock AND Procter.

SeamUp

International Coach
Graeme Smith
Graeme Pollock
Neil Adcock

I agonised about Procter & S.Pollock but gone with the 'Welshman'

Last edited:

Teuton

International Captain
Graeme Smith
Graeme Pollock
Mike Procter

Normally I go for longevity but Shaun Pollock's ordinary record against Australia swung my vote

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I know what the rules are.... but I would like to make a special request for Clive Rice to be allowed. Of all the players who did not play Tests for SA, he would be a big exclusion for a all time 1st or 2nd XI. Most of the rest got to play at least one test and/or just are not of quite the same calibre.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Van der Bijl and Le Roux would also be in with a shout of the A team, at least
Maybe 2nd XI or 3rd XI.... But not allowing Rice is a travesty. He was at least an equal to S. Pollock and Procter. I understand this opens a pandora's box, but he is just such a glaring anomoly.

SeamUp

International Coach
Agree Stephen. Would put McEwan, Jennings, van der Bijl, Hanley, Le Roux in the same boat. Possibly 1 or 2 others too like spinners Kourie/Hobson. But maybe restrict it to 5.

We probably looking at these guys who didn't play a test. Some played world series and world XI

Also agree with Jimmy that as the 3rd oldest team even with isolation we should have enough for at least 10 teams.

Probably the best in the Currie Cup who didn't play tests

Henry Fotheringham
Roy Pienaar
Hylton Ackerman
Ken McEwan
Kevin McKenzie

Clive Rice
Peter Swart

Ray Jennings

Denys Hobson
Alan Kourie

Vince van der Bijl
Donald Mackay-Coghill
Rupert Hanley
Kenny Watson
Garth Le Roux
Stephen Jefferies
Corrie van Zyl
Hugh Page

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe we can include the players that during the isolation era played County Cricket most of the best did that, and gives a method of looking at records outside the local dometic scene on an international scale.