• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Road to World Cup 2019

cnerd123

likes this
Chahal is fantastic but he is very much a legspinner who relies on his mind more than his skills. I guess the fear is that he is currently only being successful on account of his skills not being fully worked out by other sides, and thus once batsmen get a hold of what he's bowling they'll be able to counter his mind game. Whereas Kuldeep has more depth to his skills and is more likely to bowl proper unplayable balls than Chahal, which keeps him more of a threat even if batsmen can figure out what he's doing.

A bad IPL might make the coaches concerned that he's been worked out.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Washington Sundar is not a bad alternative if Chahal declines. Going back to Ashwin and Jadeja will be a big step backwards.

BTW, why does every new leggie need to be "worked out"? They were all pretty similar in the range of variations. Finger spinners have come up with more new deliveries (doosra, carton ball) so it's understandable that Mendis started with a bang and then fizzled out.

cnerd123

likes this
Washington Sundar is not a bad alternative if Chahal declines. Going back to Ashwin and Jadeja will be a big step backwards.

BTW, why does every new leggie need to be "worked out"? They were all pretty similar in the range of variations. Finger spinners have come up with more new deliveries (doosra, carton ball) so it's understandable that Mendis started with a bang and then fizzled out.
Yea I agree. If anything i'd back Chahal to have enough depth to the mental aspects of his bowling to compensate for his relative lack of depth in his skill. But I wouldn't really know - it's strange but I think the best way to actually figure this out is seeing these bowlers in the nets and in intra-squad practice games. For sure by now all of Kohli, Rohit, etc will have figured out all the variations and subtleties of Chahal's bowling, so what these nets sessions boil down to is Chahal trying to get these guys to hit the ball to where he wants them to hit it, and to try and catch them out through holes in their techniques (if any).

If Chahal struggles at these aspects of his bowling it is very likely that he is on thin ice with regards to his spot in the team - in that once other batsmen figure out his depth of skill as well, then he's not got that second layer to really fall back on. So a bad IPL might show to the coaches/management that the his depth of skill is no longer sufficient, and then it's a question of if they believe Chahal has the mental game to still be successful at this level.

Last edited:

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Not like they're ever going to win this thing. But would prefer seeing the following XI

Rohit
Dhawan
Kohli
Lokesh Rahul (backup keeper)
MS Dhoni (keeper)
Dinesh Karthik (keeper)
Hardik Pandya
Ravi Jaddu/Ravi Ashwin
Kuldeep Yadav
Mohammed Shami
Jasprit Bumrah

Reserves

Bhuvi
Chahal
Rahane/Samson/Pant
Krunal Pandya/Shardul Thakur

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My biggest hope is that Ashwin and Jadeja aren't picked. Would be the worst thing ever for them to go back and undo the biggest improvement in the ODI team. The next biggest weak link is Dhoni but I've come to terms with the fact that he's not going anywhere.