Cricket Player Manager
Page 9 of 69 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 1033

Thread: Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

  1. #121
    International Debutant shankar's Avatar
    3 Card Poker Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    erm...well get a fast bowler to get the ball about hip high out a foot outside off stump and Tendulkar is vunerable...especially when the ball is bowled by a left armer.
    Sorry, but that's absurd. He's been playing for 15 years against so many good/great fast bowlers. If he had such an elementary weakness wouldn't one of these bowlers have exploited this? He got out a couple of times to Pedro collins a couple of times outside the off-stump before he'd even played 10 balls and people started peddling this theory that maybe he has a weakness against left-armers outside off-stump.

  2. #122
    Banned ReallyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    erm...well get a fast bowler to get the ball about hip high out a foot outside off stump and Tendulkar is vunerable...especially when the ball is bowled by a left armer.

    I can compare Richards to Tendulkar despite the fact they never played against each other etc....coz i saw Richards bat,and if you saw richards bat you wouldnt be able to deny that he was a level above Tendulkar.

    Richards could make bowlers like Lillee,Thomson,Bedi,Snow,Willis,Underwood,Imran Khan,Botham,Hadlee,Akram,Qadir etc look average (and remember back then it was a tad more bowler friendly) in all types of conditions away and at home.

    Tendulkar has tended to score his runs against weaker attacks, in fact I would go so far as to say he scored a test century vs a world class attack for the first time in 1997 (vs SA Donald and Pollock, that was his 15th century)...his next one was vs Akram, Waqar a couple of years later....so in his first 20 test centuries,he scored two hundreds vs really good attacks...suggests some sort of vunerablity to great bowling....a vunerabilty that Richards never showed.

    Dont get me wrong Tendulkar is a great batsman, but he may have benefitted from the times he has played test cricket in.
    ummm since you have been watching cricket for a long time, i thought you would know that Tendulkar has played cricket from 1989. He has faced Wasim and Waqar (though mostly in ODIs) and got the better of them. He has also faced Walsh, Ambrose and Bishop together. The first time I saw him take them apart was in the WC'96 and he didn't do too badly in the tour to the WI in 1997. Prior to that series, India toured SA and on one of the most difficult tracks to bat on, he scored a hundred against pollock and Donald, who was going through this purple patch.

    We all know how he has got the better of shane warne time and again, whether in tests or ODIs. Warne went on record saying that he had nightmares of sachin hitting him for six (he doesn't hit that many sixes anymore ) He has done well against Damien Fleming who was another very good bowler. As for McGrath Vs Sachin, I will call it even. McGrath has got him a few times but I also remember sachin gettin on top a few times.

    As for his "weakness", well every batter can be made to look weak at times. I remember single digit scores were the norm for Lara a few years ago and now he is back better than ever. I will say the same for Tendulkar. He will be back. He has the most number of international 100s and would have surpassed Allan Border's record already if India plays as many tests as Australia does. And your calling him a weak link?

    Really who were the good bowlers of the '80s? The WI attack whom Richards never faced?

  3. #123
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyCrazy
    ummm since you have been watching cricket for a long time, i thought you would know that Tendulkar has played cricket from 1989. He has faced Wasim and Waqar (though mostly in ODIs) and got the better of them. He has also faced Walsh, Ambrose and Bishop together. The first time I saw him take them apart was in the WC'96 and he didn't do too badly in the tour to the WI in 1997. Prior to that series, India toured SA and on one of the most difficult tracks to bat on, he scored a hundred against pollock and Donald, who was going through this purple patch.

    We all know how he has got the better of shane warne time and again, whether in tests or ODIs. Warne went on record saying that he had nightmares of sachin hitting him for six (he doesn't hit that many sixes anymore ) He has done well against Damien Fleming who was another very good bowler. As for McGrath Vs Sachin, I will call it even. McGrath has got him a few times but I also remember sachin gettin on top a few times.

    As for his "weakness", well every batter can be made to look weak at times. I remember single digit scores were the norm for Lara a few years ago and now he is back better than ever. I will say the same for Tendulkar. He will be back. He has the most number of international 100s and would have surpassed Allan Border's record already if India plays as many tests as Australia does. And your calling him a weak link?

    Really who were the good bowlers of the '80s? The WI attack whom Richards never faced?
    well I am basing much of what I say on Test cricket, which I beleive to be the format of the game which tests a players ability more than ODI's will ever do.(ODI cricket is heavily stacked in favour of the batsman)

    Tendulkar never scored a century vs a WI team which could be remotely considered very strong (his first century vs WI was in 94,vs Walsh,Benjamin,Cummins,Hooper,Chanderpaul and adams, the last three had to bowl 70 of the 155 overs of the innings).Tendulkar faced Waqar and Wasim in 1998/99 in tests (both bowlers could be considered past their best) and his series scores were 0,136,6,29,0,9...

    Around this time for a few years Tendulkar was certainly the best batsman in the world, but for the last 2 years or so he hasnt been anywhere near (Ponting,Dravid,Kallis,Lara,Vaughan,Hayden and maybe a few more have all done much better than Tendulkar in that period)

    Lara went through a bad patch about 4 years ago, where it didnt look like he would score any runs...but look what was happening to his team, that wasa true low point for WI (vs England and Australia)..all the batting was resting on Lara, it was the one bad period of his career.

    Tendulkar recently in his last 19 innings has been dismissed 11 times in single figures (yes I know he also scored a 241* and a 194* in that, but Mr Reliable he hasnt been) and considering the success the Indian batting have had recently, I think it is reasonable to consider him a weak link at this moment (well as well as the opening spot not occupied by Sehwag)

    Who were the great(or even just good bowlers) bowlers of the 80's (and 70's)(in no particular order) that Richards played against...oh just the small matter of Hadlee, Imran,Snow,McDermott, Botham,Willis,Lillee,Thomson,Alderman,Bedi,Dev,Rod ney Hogg,Qadir,Underwood etc

    Look as I say I do think Tendulkar is a great batsman, but I dont think he quite deserves this reputation of being unbeatable, coz he is as vunerable to good bowling as anyone can be when they have a 50+ batting average.
    rave down, hit the ground


    MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

  4. #124
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,859
    Quote Originally Posted by TDCC Young Guns
    hadlee is fast bowling as bradman is batting

    I wouldn't say so.

    Bradman is head and shoulders above any other batsman in history.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.


  5. #125
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,381
    Quote Originally Posted by TDCC Young Guns
    hadlee is fast bowling as bradman is batting
    ?!?!?

    if Hadlee faced Bradman today, over a few innings, so some kind of average could be gained, Iím sure Bradman would have smashed him all over the place.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

    R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

  6. #126
    International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    winchester, england
    Posts
    3,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    ?!?!?

    if Hadlee faced Bradman today, over a few innings, so some kind of average could be gained, Iím sure Bradman would have smashed him all over the place.
    The term smashed was maybe a bit extreme, Bradman would probably play him at 3 an over. Bradman wasn't a Gilchrist and would admit he never had the greatest technique, it was his concentration that makes him superior to every other batsmen to have held a bat.
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

    'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

  7. #127
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,815
    Quote Originally Posted by twctopcat
    The term smashed was maybe a bit extreme, Bradman would probably play him at 3 an over. Bradman wasn't a Gilchrist and would admit he never had the greatest technique, it was his concentration that makes him superior to every other batsmen to have held a bat.
    Well he was not exactly a slow scorer. Made 309 in a day at headingly in 1930, and a 22 ball century in a minor match 2 years later.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

  8. #128
    International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    winchester, england
    Posts
    3,477
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra
    Well he was not exactly a slow scorer. Made 309 in a day at headingly in 1930, and a 22 ball century in a minor match 2 years later.
    But wouldn't have smashed Hadlee, if you see my point.

  9. #129
    International Debutant cbuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2,057
    i think hadlee would of been one bowler who may have hcallenged bradman - bradman may have dominated him but not to the extent he did other bowlers. hadlee is streets ahed of any other fast bowler

  10. #130
    U19 Vice-Captain Ford_GTHO351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    585
    Gees I wonder how Bradman would went in ODI's
    My 2003 Australian Cricketers Rankings No.1's

    Test Batting: Mathew Hayden
    Test Bowling: Stuart MacGill
    ODI Batting: Ricky Ponting
    ODI Bowling: Brett Lee

    Ford Rules!

  11. #131
    U19 Vice-Captain Ford_GTHO351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by TDCC Young Guns
    hadlee is streets ahed of any other fast bowler
    Hadlee was good, but IMO he was not the best fast bowler.

  12. #132
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,859
    Quote Originally Posted by TDCC Young Guns
    hadlee is streets ahed of any other fast bowler

    You see that is where your argument falls down.

    Hadlee's wicket count has a touch of the Murali's about it.

  13. #133
    Cricketer Of The Year Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    9,862
    why is AA not at the top of this list? how can any list of the greatest ever be complete without AA?
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

  14. #134
    U19 Vice-Captain Ford_GTHO351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    585
    Test Bowling Record
    Hadlee: 86 Matches, 431 wickets@ 22.29, SR: 50.8, Economy: 2.63 rpo
    Muralitharan: 89 Matches, 521 wickets@ 22.76, SR: 58.3, Economy: 2.33 rpo

    ODI Bowling Record
    Hadlee: 115 Matches, 158 wickets@ 21.56, SR: 39.1, Economy: 3.30 rpo
    Muralitharan: 232 Matches, 360 wickets@ 22.08, SR: 34.9, Econ: 3.78 rpo

  15. #135
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,864
    Quote Originally Posted by TDCC Young Guns
    i think hadlee would of been one bowler who may have hcallenged bradman - bradman may have dominated him but not to the extent he did other bowlers. hadlee is streets ahed of any other fast bowler
    Utter rubbish! Hadlee's wicket count is as high as it is because he had so little support from other Kiwi bowlers in that era (a la Murali today).

    One of the greats? Yes. The greatest? Be off with you.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Page 9 of 69 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •