• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
a massive zebra said:
Hammond was not far behind in terms of weight of runs and centuries. At both first class and Test level he averaged more than Hobbs and had a better innings per century ratio. If you also add his slip fielding and bowling I think he should be ranked higher.

If you rank people purely on weight of runs and centuries then Tendulkar and Steve Waugh should be placed above Bradman.
You know full well what my point was :p

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Some people aren’t agreeing with Warne being in there.

His record isn’t great compared to Murali, but he has a disadvantage of playing in Australia rather than Asia. Also, look what he’s done for cricket. I don’t mean being a goody-2-shoes, of course, but if it wasn’t for him, spin would probably be dead by now.

Deja moo

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Firstly you're looking at records post 2000 which are irrelevant.

Secondly, Viv's character was immense and makes him all the more memorable.

I don't recall too many complaints about him at the time.

I dont know what you mean by ' immense character '.

Didnt he have 2 or 3 illegitimate kids ?

Deja moo

International Captain
Tom Halsey said:
Some people aren’t agreeing with Warne being in there.

His record isn’t great compared to Murali, but he has a disadvantage of playing in Australia rather than Asia. Also, look what he’s done for cricket. I don’t mean being a goody-2-shoes, of course, but if it wasn’t for him, spin would probably be dead by now.
People keep bringing up that point about him reviving leg spin and all that ****. Spin would have been dead maybe in Australia or england, not in the subcontinent. Shane warne hasnt done anything to revive spin in South Africa or England.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
a massive zebra said:
Hammond was not far behind in terms of weight of runs and centuries. At both first class and Test level he averaged more than Hobbs and had a better innings per century ratio. If you also add his slip fielding and bowling I think he should be ranked higher.
Let's not forget that Hobbs was an opener, and that by the nature of their positions openers tend to average less than middle order batsmen. Hobbs also dominated his era, whereas the same cannot be said for Hammond, and I reckon such things are important when you discuss "Cricketers of the century".

This may also partially explain the inclusion of Warne, something I'm not comfortable with. I reckon other bowlers such as Dennis Lillee, Sidney Barnes and Imran Khan have possibly equal claims to the bowler's spot. Methinks Warne could be the token modern day player.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
orangepitch said:
People keep bringing up that point about him reviving leg spin and all that ****. Spin would have been dead maybe in Australia or england, not in the subcontinent. Shane warne hasnt done anything to revive spin in South Africa or England.
I'm sorry, but that's rubbish.

Warne has had a huge influence on spin in England, ever since "that" ball.

I know it inspired me, for one.

Deja moo

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
I'm sorry, but that's rubbish.

Warne has had a huge influence on spin in England, ever since "that" ball.

I know it inspired me, for one.
You mean the ball that Abdul Qadir had already bowled before Warne but wasnt inspiring coz he wasnt Australian or English ?

Scallywag

Banned
orangepitch said:
You mean the ball that Abdul Qadir had already bowled before Warne but wasnt inspiring coz he wasnt Australian or English ?
Explain what you mean.

This will be interesting to see your intestional fortitude.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Jack Hobbs Test Batting Record
61 Matches, 5410 runs@ 56.94

Jack Hobbs FC Batting Record
834 Matches, 61760 runs@ 50.70

Wally Hammond's Test Batting Record
85 Matches, 7249 runs@ 58.45

Wally Hammond's FC Batting Record
634 Matches, 50551 runs@ 56.10

Now whilst Hammond has a better Test & FC average, as mentioned previously, Hobbs was an opener and by being an opener your average tends to be lower than a middle order batsman. Also you have to wonder if Hammond could of maintaned his FC average of 56.10 considering he played exactly 200 less FC matches than Hobbs.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
orangepitch said:
How many kids of my generation and younger saw Qadir in action?

Most of them won't even have heard of him, while everyone knows who Warne is.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
orangepitch said:
warne hasnt done anything to revive spin in South Africa or England.
Well you must be on a different planet then :laughing:

Ever since he bowled that famous first ball to Mike Gatting in 1993, England have been mentally scared ever since by Warne :D

Deja moo

International Captain
Regarding the " ball of the century "....Abdul Qadir had already bowled the delivery that pitched outside leg and clipped off stump. Only it didnt recieve much attention . But when Warne bowls it in an Ashes match, it becomes an inspiration.