Page 61 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

Quote Originally Posted by Sehwag309 View Post
    Shane Warne?..

I want to say tendulkar but I kow I might get all kinda response,..but Shane Warne?

Yeah, why not?
    He has 709 test wckts more than nearly more than anyone else and you DISAGREE?
    He brought leg spin back in existence , c'mon you have to put him in

What about Wasim Akram in there?

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCap_Fan View Post
    do you guys realise that this list was made a fair few years ago?

This has to be the best comment in the thread. As if the Five Cricketers of the last century are going to be different just because a few years of a new century have passed.
    I think the 5 chosen are the correct choices.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Yep - cant see how the list can change unless Warnie gets a knighthood, I suppose the names all start with s already.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    *Dig*

Was just trawling through various websites and came across this, something I'd never seen before - a more detailed explanation of the voting trends and specifics, as well as some quotes and info on who voted for who.

I'd still dearly love to see the full breakdown of all 100 voters and their five nominations, but this bridges the gap a little and gives an interesting insight into some of the votes.

http://emailcollections.************...-did-they.html

Had to laugh at the Walter Hadlee story - how proud must you be of your son when you can vote for him as one of the cricketers of the century and no one would hold it against you?

EDIT - FFS, it won't let me post it because it would rather put asterisks instead of blogspot dot com forwardslash 2007 forwardslash 02 forwardslash five-cricketers-of-century-how
    Yeah, Matthew Engel's "how they were chosen" on this was a deeply fascinating piece.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Nah most good players have produced over the years already

Banned
    Leg Spin was dead until Warne came onto the scene.

Its dying again though....noone bowls leg spin.

Upul Chandana will revive the art of legspin through the majesty of dance.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post

Which suggests that people who said "Warne saved wristspin" were talking nonsense. Wristspin never died ITFP, it's just always been something only a tiny minority can bowl particularly well. There was a massive gap between Benaud and Warne\Murali, and there might very easily be another massive gap between Warne\Murali and the next great wristspinner.

State Vice-Captain

Sorry, but leg spin was not dead. By the time Warne came unto the scene, world class leg spinners like Mushtaq Ahmed and Anil Kumble were already playing. Just because there were no quality leg spinners in Australia and England doesn't mean there were none in the cricket world, I see no reason to ignore the subcontinent.

It's like saying that until Imran Khan came, the first true fast bowler from the subcontinent, fast bowling was dead in the cricket world.

Aside from MacGill, a world class leg spinner hasn't come from Australia, England, South Africa or New Zealand since Warne's debut. So, it appears Warne's legacy is greatly exaggerated.
    Last edited by subshakerz; 13-02-2008 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    Sorry, but leg spin was not dead. By the time Warne came unto the scene, world class leg spinners like Mushtaq Ahmed and Anil Kumble were already playing.
    Hmm, Mushtaq may have been playing before Warne's debut (just 3 Tests, 1 in which he bowled just 5 overs, the other 2 in which he took 1-141 and 3-94) but I'd hardly call him "World-class" for the first 6 years of his career. In his first 18 Tests he took just 44 wickets at 36.47, only twice managing to take even 5 wickets in a match, 5-89 and 5-87 on the 1992 tour of England.

It wasn't until the game at Bellerive Oval in 1995\96, after, incidentally, a chat with Warne, that Mushtaq became a player of note. He was quite some player too, but frustratingly only for 18 Tests over a a couple of years. He then went truly woeful, and in his last 16 Tests never had anything even remotely resembling a good performance. Quite why this should have been has always been, to me, one of the most baffling things in cricket, even more so when in 2003 he came over here to play regularly and has torn everything up ever since (not that this affected his Test performance).

The wasted talent of Mushtaq has always been one of my most frustrating cricketing mementos.

As for Kumble - I don't think you can really call him an orthodox wristspinner TBH. Kumble is one of a kind. And he too had only played 1 - utterly ineffective - Test before Warne's debut.

If there was someone who proved that Warne did not revive a dead art in wristspin, it's Abdul Qadir, but he too was a wasted talent.
    Last edited by Richard; 13-02-2008 at 08:33 AM.

First Class Debutant
    It's not just that Qadir revived leg-spin, he single-handedly revived spin in an era where fast bowlers ran amock. Just look at the famous fasties of his time from WIndian packs to Aus, Eng and the 4 ace all-rounders.
    Then look at the spinners of that time. DDoshi, Siva, Hemmings, Edmunds, Emburey, Tauseef, Qasim...not a single spinner could scale the 200 Test wkt benchmark.

It is Qadir who alone revived the art and received rave reviews from the foreign press.
    And it was he who was used in an attacking role in ODI's, something spinners were loathe to experiment with.
    He must be given this credit.

Shane just took it to new heights

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hmm, Mushtaq may have been playing before Warne's debut (just 3 Tests, 1 in which he bowled just 5 overs, the other 2 in which he took 1-141 and 3-94) but I'd hardly call him "World-class" for the first 6 years of his career. In his first 18 Tests he took just 44 wickets at 36.47, only twice managing to take even 5 wickets in a match, 5-89 and 5-87 on the 1992 tour of England.

It wasn't until the game at Bellerive Oval in 1995\96, after, incidentally, a chat with Warne, that Mushtaq became a player of note. He was quite some player too, but frustratingly only for 18 Tests over a a couple of years. He then went truly woeful, and in his last 16 Tests never had anything even remotely resembling a good performance. Quite why this should have been has always been, to me, one of the most baffling things in cricket, even more so when in 2003 he came over here to play regularly and has torn everything up ever since (not that this affected his Test performance).

The wasted talent of Mushtaq has always been one of my most frustrating cricketing mementos.

As for Kumble - I don't think you can really call him an orthodox wristspinner TBH. Kumble is one of a kind. And he too had only played 1 - utterly ineffective - Test before Warne's debut.

If there was someone who proved that Warne did not revive a dead art in wristspin, it's Abdul Qadir, but he too was a wasted talent.
    I agree, Mushtaq wasn't world class at the start, and his sudden loss of form after some stunning performances was perplexing, especially as he couldn't blame it on injury.

My point was that Warne's arrival didn't somehow instantly inspire a new generation of spinners to appear on the international stage, especially since the only noteworthy leg spinners of the decade had appeared before him. What he did do was make leg spin attractive and appealing after a long time, but that's different from saying he singlehandely saved leg spin from nonexistence.

Anything bar super-quick was dead before Warne came along

I remember going to a coaching clinic when I was about 15 and couldnt bowl "quick" - Richie Benaud gave me an entire kit of Slazenger gear (a dream come true at my age) because I was the only one who tried to bowl spin
    Last edited by social; 13-02-2008 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Engle View Post
    It's not just that Qadir revived leg-spin, he single-handedly revived spin in an era where fast bowlers ran amock. Just look at the famous fasties of his time from WIndian packs to Aus, Eng and the 4 ace all-rounders.
    Then look at the spinners of that time. DDoshi, Siva, Hemmings, Edmunds, Emburey, Tauseef, Qasim...not a single spinner could scale the 200 Test wkt benchmark.
    And yet arguably, Iqbal Qasim > Abdul Qadir.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Anything bar super-quick was dead before Warne came along

I remember going to a coaching clinic when I was about 15 and couldnt bowl "quick" - Richie Benaud gave me an entire kit of Slazenger gear (a dream come true at my age) because I was the only one who tried to bowl spin
    That post would be fine, if only it had "... in Australia" tacked on the end.

No perception of worldwide reality.

Page 61 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread Information