Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think we need to remember that the list was put out in either 1999 or 2000. I think there were other players who may have gotten in ahead of Warne, but one needs to remember that Murali's impact at that time was not what Warne's had been. That may well be different now, and please bare in mind that by impact in this context, I mean the effect on the way the game was played.
    By the late 80s, there was a school of thought that spin bowling was dead away from the subcontinent, owing to the Windies dominance, which a lot of other sides tried to copy. Certainly, front line spinners were largely an after-thought in ODIs, with the slow bowling often done by part-timers or by finger spinners. Leggies were almost unheard of in that form of the game.
    So, I can see why the panel picked him from that point of view. Personally, I would have had any number ahead of him, but then I'd have had a few ahead of Viv as well.
    A few posters from the old part of the thread mentioned Lara, but iirc, he went through a bit of a trot in the late 90s when his average dropped below 50 for a time. That may explain why he didn't get as many votes as he otherwise would have if the poll was conducted today.
    TBH Murali should be nowhere near it either.

Thinking about it some more, I'd have something like this (in no order):

1. Bradman
    2. Barnes
    3. Hobbs
    4. Sobers
    5. Lillee*

*Remember, this is the biggest 'impact', not necessarily the 'best'. Considering the reverence with which Lillee is held, I'd have him there even though (in my opinion) there were several pure bowlers who were better (Marshall, McGrath, and a couple more) and his impact is undeniable. With that said, I am willing to be convinced that someone else except Lillee belongs on there, but I think the other four are very solid and should remain.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 14-10-2007 at 08:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Yeah thats a pretty strong top 5 there SS. Wasn't there a thread around that Francis made that had the top 10 cricketers of all time by everyone? I had a pretty good top 10 there if somebody could dig that up, though it may have been top 10 overall cricketers not just Test players.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Anyway, brilliant arguments for your selection. Here's my top 10 (includes not only the test players):

1. Sir Donald Bradman
    2. Sir Garfield Sobers
    3. Imran Khan
    4. WG Grace
    5. George Headley
    6. Jack Hobbs
    7. Keith Miller
    8. Bart King
    9. Sydney Barnes
    10. Muttiah Muralitharan
    Never mind, found it. Was pretty happy with that tbh.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Who the hell is Bart King??

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Who the hell is Bart King??
    Shocking.

Yea, Bart King actually might have been the first bowler to come up with reverse swing (he probably did not know exactly how it was happening). Troy Cooley analyzed his action based on accounts and all the pictures that depict him in his action, and according to him, his action is pretty much ideal for it. The only thing that would be required is if he had the requisite pace to bowl it, and that of course is unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think we need to remember that the list was put out in either 1999 or 2000. I think there were other players who may have gotten in ahead of Warne, but one needs to remember that Murali's impact at that time was not what Warne's had been. That may well be different now, and please bare in mind that by impact in this context, I mean the effect on the way the game was played.
    By the late 80s, there was a school of thought that spin bowling was dead away from the subcontinent, owing to the Windies dominance, which a lot of other sides tried to copy. Certainly, front line spinners were largely an after-thought in ODIs, with the slow bowling often done by part-timers or by finger spinners. Leggies were almost unheard of in that form of the game.
    So, I can see why the panel picked him from that point of view. Personally, I would have had any number ahead of him, but then I'd have had a few ahead of Viv as well.
    A few posters from the old part of the thread mentioned Lara, but iirc, he went through a bit of a trot in the late 90s when his average dropped below 50 for a time. That may explain why he didn't get as many votes as he otherwise would have if the poll was conducted today.
    even taking all that into consideration, he still doesn't belong in such a list...

Top 5 based on impact on game wood be:

Bradman
    Sobers
    Lillee
    Imran
    Hobbs
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    In alphabetical order

Bradman
    Grace
    Hobbs
    Sobers

I cant chose a fifth between SF Barnes and Viv Richards

I'd pick Barnes of the two.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    I'd pick Barnes of the two.
    Me too I think.

Pssst I didn't say so in the first place to avoid getting into an argument early morning

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    In alphabetical order

Bradman
    Grace
    Hobbs
    Sobers

I cant chose a fifth between SF Barnes and Viv Richards
    Grace wouldn't qualify as 20th century . Otherwise, he'd certainly be my fifth over Lillee.

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Pssst I didn't say so in the first place to avoid getting into an argument early morning
    I don't think too many people will argue that Viv wasn't worthy of a spot in the top 5. I know, I'm just asking for it aren't I?

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Grace wouldn't qualify as 20th century . Otherwise, he'd certainly be my fifth over Lillee.
    You do have a point there. In which case I could overcome my dileemma and include both Barnes and Sir Vivian

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    So here is my revised list - still in alphabetical order (for I think the greatest five amongst thousands) do not deserve to compared with anyone. They all stand alone and are incomparable.

• Barnes SF
    • Bradman DG
    • Hobbs JB
    • Richards IVA
    • Sobers GSA

Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread Information